cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RUOK?

Hi guys,
Might be a little distracted and absent tonight but will try to keep up Smiley Happy

Q1. Yes I have heard of RUOK day. I think I first heard about it in 2011?
I think it's mainly about starting conversations about mental health and well being and supporting those who may be in need of assistance. I think is a great idea, but think one day isn't enough, often it's not just one time you need someone to ask Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@rosie I am really looking forward to tonight as well! So much so I am asking the next question.... Smiley Happy

2.    What do you think the benefits are to reaching out for help? At what point do you think you or others should reach out to others for support during hard times?

Hey guys,

I've known about RUOK? for quite a while. It's definitely got more popular over the past couple of years! It's a great concept but is hard to carry out. Not just for those asking others if they are okay, but also those who are being asked - it's hard to admit to someone that you are NOT okay. 

@Bee wrote:
Hi guys,
Might be a little distracted and absent tonight but will try to keep up Smiley Happy

Q1. Yes I have heard of RUOK day. I think I first heard about it in 2011?
I think it's mainly about starting conversations about mental health and well being and supporting those who may be in need of assistance. I think is a great idea, but think one day isn't enough, often it's not just one time you need someone to ask Smiley Happy

Thanks for dropping in @Bee - it's cool if you come and go! You're definitely right - RUOK day is a great way of reminding people that it's important to check in with those around us, but doing it one day a year isn't enough. We need to know why these conversations are important, & how to have them, so that we can make sure we're looking out for one another all year round.

I, speaking from experience think it is important to get help before things get to bad because if you are depressed your body tricks you into thinking you are fine and then bad things can happen.

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

Hey guys,

I've known about RUOK? for quite a while. It's definitely got more popular over the past couple of years! It's a great concept but is hard to carry out. Not just for those asking others if they are okay, but also those who are being asked - it's hard to admit to someone that you are NOT okay. 

@mischiefmanaged - thanks for joining in Smiley Happy Definitely - I guess the important thing is that we make sure we're comfortable asking our mates if they're okay, and that we're prepared and comfortable is the answer is no. I suppose the more we have these conversations in society, perhaps the more comfortable people can be with not only asking if someone's okay, but saying that they're not okay.

2. What do you think the benefits are to reaching out for help? At what point do you think you or others should reach out to others for support during hard times?

Benefits of reaching out for help include feeling supported and less alone.
I think we should reach out for support if we're starting to feel overwhelmed and stressed, even if that means talking your concerns and worries over with a friend. Sometimes it can be hard to admit how we're feeling which makes things harder but awareness can help as well as taking your time.

@LeaLea07 wrote:

2.    What do you think the benefits are to reaching out for help? At what point do you think you or others should reach out to others for support during hard times?

The benefits would definitely be feeling supported, not alone, and more able to deal with whatever is going on for you.

I think it's really important to reach out for help from the people around us, because it's super difficult to try and manage on your own when your'e having a crappy time. Humans aren't meant to live in solitary - we NEED people around us. I think that as soon as your thoughts/feelings/behaviour are getting you down or having an impact on your life, it's important to talk to someone about it. That doesn't mean that you need to be in crisis or that things even necessarily have to be "bad" - I complain to friends all the time about small stuff! I think it's having ongoing, consistent conversations between friends about how things are that keeps small problems from getting bigger. And if they do start to get bigger, someone knows about it, and is able to help whoever is having a crap time to find the support they need to overcome it.

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

- it's hard to admit to someone that you are NOT okay. 

couldn't agree more with this one MM!

Great point @mischiefmanaged and @Bee , sometimes admitting you aren't OK feels impossible. I think RUOK is about creating a day where people prepare themselves for what to do if someone answers no to their 'ruok' question. Maybe it a pretty good day to tell someone that you need a bit of help.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.