cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Relax, just do it.

@Sagira -It's great to hear from someone who's practiced mindfulness Smiley Happy We'll be glad to hear more of your thoughts but feel free to leave if your headache get too much for you! Hope you feel better soon !!!

Thanks Dilz!! See how I go! Smiley Happy

Beautiful answers so far guys. It's nice to see that mindfulness is perhaps something you've thought about before.

Mindfulness can also be about engaging in an activity that is specifically designed to help you relax and purposely quiet your mind. What techniques help you to quiet your mind?

Hi guys! Sorry I'm late.

The concept of mindfulness has been around for many years, particularly in Eastern philosophy, only recently has it reached Western thinking. You could say that being mindful is like living life in the moment but what does mindfulness mean to you?

To me mindfulness is being able to stay focused in the present moment without being distracted by unhelpful thoughts (apologies if that's already been said, I haven't read any further than the first post yet). I find it a great way to calm myself down.

Mindfulness can also be about engaging in an activity that is specifically designed to help you relax and purposely quiet your mind. What techniques help you to quiet your mind?

Having an anchor, like focusing on the sensations of the in and outflow of the breath.  Or focusing on an external source like insects outside, the sound of the rain/beach etc.

What techniques help you to quiet your mind?

My personal fave would be meditation/mindfulness apps, probably the best thing out (for me)... you focus on what the person is saying and on relaxing every part of your body.
I used to use it to fall asleep (I used to have a lot of difficulty sleeping, and this helped!)
It also plays super calming music and/or sounds in the background. like rain, storms, rivers, forrest noises, etc. 

@delicatedreamer - Hi Smiley Happy Welcome! I'm so glad to hear that you find mindfullness useful!

What techniques help you to quiet your mind?

My particular favourite is meditation. It was really difficult to get into at first but I find that afterwards I am so much more aware of where I am and where I'm at in life. It is like my head becomes a light, airy balloon and all of a sudden it becomes easier to carry my head around.

I also like to sometimes just sit and be at peace with my thoughts. I try to spend some time each day actively thinking about any problems I need to solve. This was I've thought about them and am not spending the evening worrying about those thoughts cropping up again.

Another technique I use is to help my combat some of my negative thoughts, which I have commonly. I spend time listening to what I'm saying in my head so that I can identify when something negative pops up and then I just tell that thought that it's wrong, and I list the reasons.

I also really enjoy being present in nature. Like graphiqual said before, opening up my senses can make me feel like I'm a big part of the function of the world and that I'm important in the grand scheme of things.

I like using guided mindfulness meditation, focusing on my breathing and listening to music.

hi,

I am just learning about mindfulness.... when my DR told me about something so simple as this I felt a little embarrassed and a little stupid that I never realised something soooooooooo simple that could help me was staring me in the face.

for me, it is about learning to stop, take a breathe, take myself away from the moment, take another breathe, be aware of my surroundings, and then putting myself back into the moment.

I have been using this at work and socially when I feel overwhelmed or anxious and I am finding that it helps put me back into a positive headspace....