cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SLOW-MO CHAT] Beauty Standards

Hello everyone!

I think in today's society that we all struggle at some point to conform to the beauty standards we see on social media, magazines, celebrities, etc. and often this is because these standards may be unrealistic. So this GR is all about discussing what are some beauty standards that we hold and how it can negatively impact us.

giphy

Come and join us for a chat about beauty standards starting on Monday 24th September with a new question each day!

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Beauty Standards

@Esperanza67 Great gif choices!! 

I am really excited for this GR - such an important discussion to be having, and I'm sure everyone will have lots of things to share on how this issue has impacted us personally.  Woo! 

tex avery 1980s GIF by Warner Archive

@gina-RO Eek me too! I saw this quote: "Beauty doesn't define you, it's the beauty inside that does. This one really resonated with me.

Happy Monday everyone! Here is the first question:

1. What are some beauty standards that we hold in our community/wider society?

@Esperanza67

I think some of the most prominent ones are things like straight teeth, flawless physique etc etc. If you have a pimple - make up needs to be on, if you have don't have the perfect waist - diet. There is so much pressure to be perfect and people don't realize you can't actually be perfect. I think this will always happen, but we can change peoples view (at least a little). That probably made no senseQSmiley Very Happy

That makes heaps of sense @annabethxchase! Smiley Very Happy

I agree that there's so much pressure to be perfect... there's a lot of research coming out which shows that social media makes people feel worse about themselves. We can hide behind Instagram filters all we want, but that doesn't change what we really look like

What do other people think? Smiley Happy

@annabethxchase that is an amazing respose. i agree with you!

we cant seem to show off our imperfections even if we arent bothered by them ourselves. often society mkes us feel embarrassed by these imperfections like have a stretch mark, or a pimple, or maybe being a little overweight, even down to clothes being 'out-dated'

i also think another beauty standard in our communities are that when out in public we must be presented very well- for guys clean shaved, respectable clothes and shoes etc and for girls- hair, makeup, nice and 'up to date' clothing usually a dress or nice shirt with a skirt. why cant we just walk out the door in our trackeys and baggy shirts sometimes without being judged!
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

you have to be flawless and skinny. as a girl if you go to night party’s you are expected to wear crop tops and short denim skirts or skinny clothing like tube dresses. but unfortunately most people can’t reach those expectations, no one is perfect. 

@lokifish i agree with your point a lot

@scared01 i agree with you a lot. everyone is so judgemental and has expectations.

during spring, winter and autumn when im not bothered with clothes i just wear the baggiest clothes everSmiley Tongue

Highlighted

@lokifish thats an amazing point
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**