cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Beauty Standards

@scared01 @litgym @annabethxchase I totally feel you regarding clothes! Smiley Sad I stopped growing when I was 12 (lol) and so I can still fit into clothes that my parents bought me 10 years ago... I've slowly gotten rid of them and updated my wardrobe, but I don't like discarding stuff (I may have a mild hoarding problem Smiley Tongue)

One way that I like to get around it is by visiting op shops Smiley Very Happy Often there'll be stuff that's barely been worn and is still fairly current trend-wise. Bonus: it's super cheap which works great for broke uni students like me Smiley Tongue

@Asche wrote:
it's probably in that corner of the closet past where the light touches, and we don't go there.

HAHAHAHA I love this imagery! You need to write a horror story set in your closet 😂

So we've mentioned a few beauty standards that're ever-present in our society... now it's time to think about them a little deeper!

Why do you think we hold these beauty standards?

Why do you think we hold these beauty standards?

Hmm, that's a tricky one. I think society has created the ideal image of what we should conform to and because such a broad group of people follows them we do to. I think some cultures have standards as well. Great Question!

oh dear @lokifish but i agree op shops can be really good!
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

haha @Asche your description is awesome!
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Sorry I'm just catching up today, I wasn't feeling up to responding yesterday, but I'm here today Smiley Happy

1. What are some beauty standards that we hold in our community/wider society?

I think everyone has already hit the nail on the head with this one. I don't have anything else to add

@litgym yes I agree! I love to wear what I'm comfortable in, and thus I do Smiley Tongue Given I'm well out of high school now and kinda couldn't care what others think, I still have times where I wonder if my outfit is going to be on a similar par, like when I went to a friends' partners' party about 2-3 months back, I questioned what to wear because I had no idea, I ended up dressing okay, but was so cold as I didn't know we'd be OUTSIDE! ooops! Smiley Very Happy but I sat next to the outdoor heater and was all good. 

@Asche the imagery of where those shorts are is amazing! I agree with @lokifish please write a novel!

2. Why do you think we hold these beauty standards?

Sometimes I think we hold these beauty standards because we are taught them through advertising for various products and the advertising is EVERYWHERE! Tv, radio, internet, magazines etc. And with this we feel pressured into conforming to these standards. Social pressure also helps hold these beauty standards in place, like I know in high school I would follow what my friends did so I wasn't the "odd one out", if they wore their hair down, mine was done. if they wore their skirt I did. I was anxious about not fitting in and alot of that translated into me following others. Now, while I still have anxious thoughts I'm a lot better equipped to deal with them. I tend to wear what I feel comfortable in, as I've come to see when I'm not comfortable in my clothes I feel so uncomfortable and I just cannot enjoy myself. So if I don't feel comfy in it, I don't tend to wear it.

Monday's Getting Real: Coping with Holiday Blues
Don't forget to practice self-care regularly!

Oh and speaking of beauty standards, I want to link this video, which I quite like. It's by an artist I follow Jody Steel.

@Bee thanks for sharing that video ! it’s so powerful ❤️

it is isn't @litgym I think she may have more similar ones, but this is the one I thought of Smiley Tongue