cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Goals & Resolutions for 2019! 14-20 Jan

I'm loving everyone's responses!

I'm here to post the next question Smiley Happy 

@Bee brought up such a good point, it's so important to reflect on the positives and be proud of yourself. 

That brings us to the next question: 

What are some goals you are proud of achieving?

proud parks and recreation GIF

Wow it feels really nice to pat yourself on the back and be proud of yourself! Smiley Happy 

I'm really proud of: 

-Finishing my thesis 

-Getting into Masters

-Hitting my savings goal 

I've been a bit awall in this chat this week. I wasn't up to responding until now

When setting goals what are some things to think about? How do you structure your goals so that they're achievable?

I love the SMART analogy that @basketofmonkeys talked about!

For me, I find if I have a big goal and then listing sub goals under it helps me see the progress Smiley Happy

Similar to what @mrmusic was talking about Smiley Happy

Have you had any goals that have changed while you were working towards them? How did that make you feel?

I don't really have an answer to these questions ~shrug~

- (Yes it was agees ago, but it's important!) Reaching out to a GP for the first time for my mental health. This was significant for me as I held it all in for a long time. 

- Copping through my last foot surgery and recovery. I managed significantly better with this round of recovery than I did the initial injury and recovery (alas there were other factors which made that period of time recovering from the initial injury hard that I must acknowledge too)

- When I finally found myself able to talk openly with my psychologist last year and not having to rely on email to get things out. Now I don't always send an email and if I do it starts the session rather than being the session. This is probably something I am most proud of because it shows me that I'm still making progress even when things feel crappy. Heart

There is probably a heap of other goals that I've achieved and proud of, but these ones stand out right now for me Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Everyone has some great responses. It sounds like we all have a diverse range of goals, and some great goal-setting strategies! Smiley Happy

Now to our question for today:

Can you share any strategies for sticking to goals when you're struggling?

I'm proud of myself for getting through all my assignments, pracs and exams for my uni degree! It was a real struggle at times, and there were definitely times when I thought I had no hope of achieving some of those goals - but I did!

I'm also proud of myself for going to my mental health appointments with professionals, and getting the help that I needed when I was going through a tough time.

One thing that has really helped me is to make sure that I reward myself when I have achieved a goal - regardless of how guilty it might make me feel. Because that way I have some motivation to keep going when I'm struggling. I also think that keeping up self care is really important. Self compassion is also one of my big go-to strategies when I'm struggling with sticking to a goal - because it means that I can give myself encouragement during that time!

Highlighted

For me when I'm struggling it's a good opportunity to go back to my goal and have a think about if it's something I'm still wanting, and asses what might be stopping me from making any progress. Maybe I might need to make a smaller goal as a stepping stone, or maybe I might need some external help... 

Breaking it down...

1. What am I struggling with?
  2. How can I overcome these struggles?
  3. Can I make a stepping stone goal?
  4. Can I substitute the goal for something similar?

Applying it to my current struggle of not getting to the pool

1. I'm struggling to get to the pool - why? Tired, sleep cycle out of whack - the best time for me to cope is early in the morning (like being in the water at 7am)
  2. I can work on my sleep cycle - which involves talking with my psychiatrist and getting blood work done for GP.
  3. Stepping stone goal, I can ask a friend if we can go to the pool together
  4. I can do some cycling on an exercise bike instead/in the meantime to build strength and range of motion Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Do you have any goals for 2019? Why have you chosen those goals?

My specific goal for this year is to finish writing and editing a manuscript I'm writing at the moment. Other than that, I don't have a specific goal, but my word of the year is 'stay.' I have a pattern of quitting or running away when things get too scary or difficult, and I want to break that pattern - at work, at university and in my friendships. 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I love the idea of having a 'word of the year' or an idea of the year @letitgo! That way it's not a specific goal, but it's a way of directing your overall behaviour, which can knock down many goals at once That's such a smart idea, I love it Smiley Happy