cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Goals & Resolutions for 2019! 14-20 Jan

Do you have any goals for 2019? Why have you chosen those goals?

My goal for 2019 is NO REGRETS!
Not the most realistic one but one i want to follow as much as i can! Smiley Happy Smiley LOL
The plan is to do my best and seize the opportunities that i have so that come December 31st this year, i can honestly say i gave 2019 my all! 
Love You All Work In Progress GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

My biggest goal for 2019 is to finish my degree (which is huge because I never thought I'd make it past first year). I am keen to see what opportunities are out there once I'm done!

My other goal would be to get back into sport and make a routine of it. I spent most of last year injured so wasn't able to do a whole bunch (and I really missed it!). Now that my injury is well on the mend, it means I can start playing sport again Smiley Happy 

My main goal for 2019 is to focus more on myself and my wellbeing. I'm aiming to exercise more and spend more time doing things that I love (reading, spending time with friends and family) while I am on a break from uni!

I think while I was studying I forgot to do things that I love often, so I am aiming to get back to those things!

Love it! Such a diversity of goals for this year, from sport to journalling to communication Smiley Very Happy

@litgym@ecla34@dog_lover94@missep@Sunflower18@Bee@annabethxchase

I'll also post mine when I get the chance Smiley Happy

Next question is also a two-parter!

When setting goals what are some things to think about? How do you structure your goals so that they're achievable?

When setting goals what are some things to think about? How do you structure your goals so that they're achievable?

I always like to keep in mind setting SMART goals, as in goals that are:
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant
Time-specific

This really helps to keep my goals in perspective, and stops me from making really ambiguous or confusing goals that are hard to achieve or keep track of.

I also try not to set too many goals at one time, as I think that can make it a lot easier to do poorly at them (like trying to juggle with too many balls). I'd rather have a few goals and do them well, rather than a lot and struggle the whole way :-). I think New Year's can be a difficult time for me there because everyone feels a lot of pressure to completely turn their lives around, which isn't always realistic. Instead I think making a few goals that are seem more as stepping stones can make the journey a lot easier.

Hi everyone!

I'm here to post the next question Smiley Happy 

It's also a two-parter! 

Have you had any goals that have changed while you were working towards them?

new years goals GIF by Amy

How did that make you feel?

happy feel good GIF

To answer these questions: 

I definitely have had goals that have changed while working towards them. I think being able to adapt to situations and adapt your goals are really important. A goal in general is a good thing to strive for in my opinion so it can be tailored to what you want and need Smiley Happy 

It felt good! To be able to be flexible and adaptable takes time but it feels like I'm growing as a person Smiley Happy 

For sure! When I got a new job a while ago, it gave me way more hours than I was expecting and even though that was awesome, I had to downgrade my goals about running every other day to running twice a week.

At first I didn't feel great because I felt like I was subbing in a challenging goal for an easier one, but as I started to work toward my revised goal, i realised that it wasn't easier, just different (after all, I can still run longer and less often!), and that it's totally okay to change your plans to suit the direction that you want to go!

Hey everyone, very late to the party, but here goes! Smiley Tongue

I have a number of goals for 2019, but I'll share my two main goals:

- Getting a job: Having graduated from my uni degree, I'm now on the "hamster wheel" of job hunting. It's a very tiring exercise, but it's so important that I'm able to use the skills which I learnt, as well as support my family as my parents are getting older. I'm finding the initial prep work (drafting letters, making phone calls, etc) very challenging already, so I don't know how I'm going to go with an actual interview, but I'm trying to have confidence in myself.

Finding another psychologist: As some of you may know from my posts on the forums, I've had a few issues finding a psychologist, mainly since one of my previous ones left the practice suddenly, and the replacement I got began to cancel lots of appointments in a row. Since then I've had difficulty trusting professionals, although my psychiatrist is a great help. I did try and see a counsellor from my uni, but I didn't find them much help, and I tried to reconnect with another of my previous psychologists to no avail (phone calls and emails unanswered). I've chosen this goal because I think that looking after myself is extremely important, and I do need the professional support.

As @basketofmonkeys mentioned, I find using SMART goals really helpful in making sure that they are something that I can actually achieve. One thing that I try and do with goals is hone in on the small details and focus on achieving those, rather than the overarching goals, if that makes sense? For example, with my goal of getting a job, I would then look at the steps required to achieving that, and make those goals in themselves (i.e. send an email to XXXX organisation).

Absolutely I have. Many of my goals have been roller-coaster rides. I have found that I've had to rethink some of the goals I have set (particularly with assignments, etc) because I have found the assignment a lot more difficult to do than I first thought! So I had to break the goals down into even more steps!

For me, I found it really difficult, as it made me feel not good enough. I think I also have a tendency to set goals based on what seems reasonable for other people, rather than what I need to do. I'm finding it easier to cope with it, although when I do need to rethink goals, it still does bring up a whole lot of negative feelings.