cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT]: Mental Health Week!

How do you feel about your mental health at the moment - is there anything you need to work on?

My mental heath is a lot better than it was. It fluctuates a lot, but I think I just need to try and stay in the present. One thing I could work on is self validation and acknowledgement. I think no one ever gives themself enough credit for the things they do and often only take out and remember the small mistakes they may make.
Highlighted

How do you feel about your mental health at the moment - is there anything you need to work on?

my mental health at the moment is pretty bad. im happy that im on meds and do see a psych but i still think i need a lot more help and there isn’t much more i can do :/ my anxiety has been better recently but my depression has made a HUGE drop and im currently at rock bottom Smiley Sad 

i think i need work on being more motivated in trying to help my mental health physically - be more active. i also need to take the courage to open up my urges and thoughts. 

Hey guys! Im abit late this week but am catching up. Ive loved reading everyones responses here!

Why is Mental Health Week important and how can we promote Mental Health Week?

Mental health week is important because it gives people the chance to learn more about mental health and to also know they arent alone. I guess on a particular day there could be like a fate or something with different stalls from organisations with information and a chance to talk to a counsellor or those with mental health issues (like an advocate) and ask questions and hear others' stories as well. Some places hold walking/excercise events, cupcake stalls to raise money for awareness as well.

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

How can we help society see that mental health is just as important as physical health?

i think @ErinsAntics and @gina-RO has covered it nicely here. it seems people are quick to ask if others' are ok if its a physical ailment but not so much when its mental. Gina- you also touched on an importan point of not waiting till the issue affects you to the point of a mental health issue as well. if people reach out early instead of letting it brew i find alot of anxiety and depressive feelings an dissipate when talked about with someone who actually listens

How can we bring up mental health and our struggles with it in everyday conversation?

@lokifish love the analogy for this question! it is something i find extremely tough and would rather just not talk about at all but if i do talk about it it its usually a case of a slight meantion or i bring it up when neccessary.

Its not great at the moment, just putting one foot in front of the other and thats all anyone can ask of themselves as well.

I am so late on this! I apologize! I've been struggling a bit recently with school and such. My mental health is ok, but I'm not too thrilled with it. I feel a little overwhelmed. I think I should take more time on getting stuff done so that I don't have to cry about it later. @scared01 I second your point!

Thank you to everyone who answered yesterdays question! SO proud of all of you for being so open about where you're at! Smiley Happy

@ErinsAnticsa massive high five for your post, you go girl! So proud of you - so much insight and self-awareness! <3

@Alison5amazing! I absolutely agree! I think we need to give ourselves more credit for the awesome things we do every single day! <3

@litgymso insightful of your current state, it's absolutely okay to have things to work on. But you are seeking help and that is so great! We are all so proud of you! <3

@scared01 you are so right, one foot in front of the other, that is all we can ask of ourselves <3

@blobbywelcome to this weeks' GR! Smiley Happy
It is absolutely okay to not be thrilled about your mental health, what steps can you start to take to make it better for the future? Feel free to make a thead here if you haven't already Smiley Happy

Monday's Getting Real: Coping with Holiday Blues
Don't forget to practice self-care regularly!

Todays Question

Do you know the difference between mental health and mental illness? How are they connected?

And because todays is soo late (I'm sorry everyone) 

Tomorrows Question

If you are struggling with your mental health who could you talk to it about?

@lokifish @blobby @scared01 @litgym @Alison5 @annabethxchase @gina-RO 

I'm actually going to answer the questions tonight Smiley Tongue

Do you know the difference between mental health and mental illness? How are they connected?

Mental health is how we cope through happy and tough times, so it's all the feelings and thoughts we have on an emotional and mental level.

Mental illness is when we are struggling to cope with these emotions, feelings and thoughts and it's impact our everyday life everyday for an extended period of time.

So if you're feeling sad after getting a text result back that is normal mental health, but if you have been feeling sad all day every day and are really lacking motivation to do anything and unable to feel anything but saddness, there's a good chance you are feeling depression and seeing a GP or counsellor is a great step to help you feel better

Tomorrows Question

If you are struggling with your mental health who could you talk to it about?

Friends, family, helplines, a GP, Counsellor/Psychologist

Kids HelpLine (KHL) 1800 55 1800

Life Line 13 14 11

EHeadspace 1800 650 890

Qlife 1800 184 527 

Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732

The Butterfly Foundation 1800 334 673

BeyondBlue 1300 22 4636

MensLine 1300 78 99 78

For me I usually start by trying to recognise what I'm feeling and why, sometimes I forget and jump straight to reaching out to a friend. From there if my friend is struggling to support me because they are overwhelmed or not feeling great, they might suggest ringing a helpline (and they have done this and I took this on board and did). 

I also keep my psychologist up to date with things, so recently when things got really intense at home and my friend wasn't sure how to help me and could see I was really distraught, she recommended I ring a helpline and I did, and eventually things calmed down for me. Before I see my psychologist I will do a bit more journalling and debrief her on what happened and what was going on for me. I consider this to be a "big thing" so that's what I'll talk to her about and other stuff in session Smiley Happy