cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT]: Mental Health Week!

Do you know the difference between mental health and mental illness? How are they connected?

Wow @Bee! I didn't even know there was a difference but your explanation make a lot of sense!

If you are struggling with your mental health who could you talk to it about?

I don't have a lot of people to talk to but all those helpines are great - I found KHL and eHeadspace to be really good. I suppose I would talk to my mum but my friends wouldn't get itSmiley Sad Buttt, there is all of amazing people on RO to talk to so I think I'm covered Smiley Very Happy

Do you know the difference between mental health and mental illness? How are they connected?

mental health is just overall wellbeing like your happy times, sad times etc. mental illness is when you could be feeling low constantly and if that is the case you should really contact your GP and speak to counsellor.

you can speak to trusted friends and adults, family, helplines and counsellors.

i usually speak to khl, my teacher and you guys because your support is amazing !

mental health is the state of our minds, whether we be happy or sad, angry or teary. for example, if you are upset with what you got on a test, that is completely normal. however, if you are upset/stressed about everything, you may be experiencing depression or anxiety and need to speak to someone. 

come on over here and talk to you guys Smiley Happy you always have really helpful advice. i also speak to a counsellor at school. you can also talk to parents or a favoured teacher. 

Highlighted

I think mental health is the state of being aware how you are emotionally, spiritually, cognitively etc. So the ups and the downs and realising that that is something that also needs to be maintained and kept healthy, not just your physical body. But I think mental illness is when there is an issue with someone's mental health. When things are more down then they are up. They are connected as a mental illness is the state of having poor (or worse than normal) mental health. 

I completely agree with everyone @Bee has said. 

I also find talking to family or just a pet is really helpful. Pets are the best listeners!

for both questions:

everyones answers are amazing. @Alison5 i really like how youve explained the difference between mental health and mental illness.

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@Alison5 wrote:

I think mental health is the state of being aware how you are emotionally, spiritually, cognitively etc. So the ups and the downs and realising that that is something that also needs to be maintained and kept healthy, not just your physical body. But I think mental illness is when there is an issue with someone's mental health. When things are more down then they are up. They are connected as a mental illness is the state of having poor (or worse than normal) mental health. 

I completely agree with everyone @Bee has said. 

I also find talking to family or just a pet is really helpful. Pets are the best listeners!

Lots of high-fives to this post @Alison5 - Very well written! Smiley Happy

Oh how could I FORGET PETS!? Yes they certainly are hte best listeners, and make us laugh too! 

@annabethxchase I'm glad my response about the difference between mental heatlh and mental illness was helpful for you Smiley Happy
Mental health can be tricky to understand at times, especially if you haven't had to think about it much. But glad that you feel you've got enough support Smiley Happy

@litgym you're amazing <3

I absolutely love how aware everyone is of who and where they can reach out for help! I couldn't be more proud to read these responses, you guys make me smile every time I read your insightful responses! SO awesome! <3

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

My mental health has been okay. Nothing too challenging. Life has been boring so no real dramas or major issues to deal with. Once you get into that routine, everything does slow down. However sometimes it does to get too boring and I find myself lacking the energy or wanting to do things but that might just be me being lazy. 

Well in simple terms I guess mental health is the overall health of our minds. What we think about, how often, etc. And mental illness the additional negative thoughts that we get when we are trying to think normally. 

My best friend. Probably the only one I would talk to about my mental health. If they aren't around then I would just bear it/hold it in. If it's really bad then I'll have to go to a psychologist. Personally I don't find hotlines helpful so I much rather just go straight to the psych. 

Sorry I forgot to post this yesterday. But here it is today. Smiley Happy

How can we take care of our mental health?
What have you learnt from this chat?

(Email reply)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

How can we take care of our mental health?

I think the best way to take care of our mental health is to be proactive about it. Don't let it get out of control because at that point it is really hard to get into the right mind set. 

Have daily routines, ways to relax, unwind and release your emotions. It not always easy to do but it will reduce the negative impact when your mental health gets a bit too much. Remember the early signs of a relapse, everyone notice different things about themselves. Once you notice signs, be extra careful with yourself.

@LeoTheLion I agree that being proactive is the way to go! It's so much easier to keep a routine going than to hit rock bottom and pick ourselves back up again

@Bee love the infodump of all the helplines hehe Smiley Very Happy There's so much out there (to the point where it can be overwhelming to know where to start) but I like how clearly you've explained how you work through things Heart

This has truly been an awesome chat!