cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SLOW-MO CHAT]: Mental Health Week!

In case you're not aware, Mental Health Week is soon to be among us!

We'll be using the opportunity to chat about all things mental health related, with a new question being posted each day! Join us here from Monday 8th until Friday 12th October!

In the meantime, check out the events that are happening in your state or territorySmiley Very Happy:

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT]: Mental Health Week!

happy avocado toast GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

Welcome all 🙂

Todays question: Why is Mental Health Week important and how can we promote Mental Health Week?

Monday's Getting Real: Coping with Holiday Blues
Don't forget to practice self-care regularly!

Why is Mental Health Week important and how can we promote Mental Health Week?

It's important as it gets people talking about their mental health and why mental health is important. Many people don't think mental health is important nor see it as something we should be concerned about, especially compared to our physical health. 

I have suffered with anxiety for many years and very few people take the time to ask about how I am going mentally, yet when I broke my ankle everyone was asking about it and wanting to know how it was healing. The thing is in society if we can see it then it must be more important and just because we can't see mental health doesn't mean it is any less important than physical health.

We can promote Mental Health Week by asking our friends and family members how they are going mentally, we can also attend events that are happening in our cities. It's important to remember that mental health should be something that we bring up in every day conversation not just during Mental Health Week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

@Bee excited for the chat this week for Mental Health Week! Heart

So true @ErinsAntics  - having a week dedicated to mental health reminds all of us of how important our mental health is. That sucks you had that experience with your mental health  - it does seem like people often feel more able to ask about physical health issues, rather than mental wellbeing. 

I think it's slowly changing, thanks to initiatives like this - and will hopefully continue to change. 

I believe Mental Health Week is super important because we all go through mental health concerns, and having events and conversations around these concerns is validating, and reduced stigma! 

I also love the theme this year of Community - and believe so strongly that having a positive sense of community is one of the best things you can do for your mental health - this forum is a good example of a healthy, encouraging community of support! 

But these can also be found in your family, school, uni, neighbourhood, sports or hobbies groups - or your chosen family of people who are similar to you Heart

@gina-RO and @ErinsAntics have basically covered everything !

I think Mental Health Week is important because mental health definitely has to be spoken up more and known. I feel everyone always talks about bullying and stress but I think more importantly is OUR mental health (of course those others are important but mental health is spoken as much as those) !! people need to accept more whats going on for them instead of denying it. to promote Mental Health Week is to join the events around your town. i know i'm joining some events like 8km walk in Sydney - cant wait !! I'm also probably going to do a drawing and painting workshop on halloween is expect it's in my exam week but might be good to release some of my stress ! 

I think Mental Health Week is important because it is inevitable that you or someone you know or love will be affected by a mental illness. Knowing just the basics about where to reach out for help or what can be done to assist someone is a skill I think everyone should have. Mental Health Week helps to remind people of this and to actually dedicate some time to learning more about mental health and wellbeing.

I think we can promote it by reaching out to our local members of government and friends etc.. However, I think the best promotion would be actually partaking in Mental Health Week by attending organised events and actually starting those conversations with people. Word of mouth is a very effective way to spread the word and eventually, the stigma of mental illness can also be reduced along the way.

Hiii Smiley Very Happy

Wow this is such a great question. I think @gina-RO @ErinsAntics @litgym have covered everything but @ErinsAntics made a great point saying that mental health matters just as much as physical health. I think people tend to notice external things/physical attributes more than a person's emotions etc. People around me aren't aware of mental health so to speak, they just say "Those wacky people" "Not right in the head" which is really insensitive Smiley Sad. They joke about things and don't take people seriously when they say that they have a mental illness. 

I think Mental Health Week is awesome and it definitely needs to be promoted. I think the first week is to get people more understanding of and aware of mental health in general (many people don't know about how hard it can be). Heart

Amazing responses everyone! Loving all of the energy in this chat!
I don't have anything to ass to all of your amazing responses!

@ErinsAntics I absolutely agree that people tend to prioritise physical health over mental health. I've had very similar experiences where people have onl asked about physical things. (I won't go into detail as I'm not feeling stable emotionally enough atm to cope with talking about it).

@gina-RO that is so true, talking more about mental health helps to reduce the stigma attached to it!

@litgym I also feel like mental health gets overlooked!

@Alison5 absolutely, I know lots of people who have been affected by mental illness.

@annabethxchase I've been around people who have limited or no knowledge of mental health issues and those who joke about mental health. I don't think that those people realise how damaging their actions can be to someone experiencing mental health issues.

Today's question

How can we help society see that mental health is just as important as physical health?

@lokifish @annabethxchase @Alison5 @litgym @gina-RO @ErinsAntics