cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[SLOW-MO CHAT] Supporting the men in our lives

Being a guy is really tough in this day and age. From job pressures...

51BB9877-5E8E-4989-89A6-DC5F69B7B600.gif

… to fitness/body image expectations...

3A415493-06A0-470A-9869-A7B34F757C60.gif

… it can be really hard to live up to society's expectations and stereotypes of the 21st century man.

These expectations can take their toll on our men, with many men suffering in silence from many physical and mental health problems.

558B2503-F82D-4BA0-A8E9-38E819E2CF13.gif

Movember is a worldwide campaign which takes place throughout the month of November, and aims to stop men dying too young and support men live happy and health lives, by raising money and awareness for men's health.

442C536A-4500-469A-BAC4-40A8C06C65AB.gif

There are many ways in which you can become involved in activities to support men's health this November - the official Movember foundation website for Australia has links to some great events throughout the country. One of the most popular ways is for men to grow a moustache, and for all of us to get physically active.

We can get involved in supporting the men in our lives, and changing some of the stereotypes involved with being a man, by having a simple conversation and encouraging our mates to regularly review their health and wellbeing with a professional.

Come and join us for a chat about men's health and the way we can support them starting on Monday 5th November with a new question each day!

364CAAF3-7B5F-4318-B04D-9FA7EC047EE6.gif

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Supporting the men in our lives

Good morning everyone! Smiley Very Happy Here's the first question of the week:

1. Have you heard of Movember before? If yes, have you ever been involved with it?

Hi @mrmusic Thanks for getting this started! 

I have heard of Movember a lot but I had no idea it was about raising awareness for men's mental health. Maybe this is my fault as I did not look into it and/or maybe the Movember Foundation should be more active in connecting the ideas. 

I'd love to hear from people who have participated or why people haven't participated! Smiley Very Happy

Hey @Libellule, mental health is a really important part of what Movember is about but it's about physical health as well, particularly testicular cancer and prostate cancer.

Would also be great to hear from others about their Movember experiences! Tagging those online now Smiley Happy @scared01 @LeoTheLion @litgym @redhead @ErinsAntics @Bree-RO @Bee @BuzzingJuneBug @Chrysalis89

1. Have you heard of Movember before? If yes, have you ever been involved with it?

I've heard of Movember, mainly because I had a teacher at school who would always grow a moustache in November, and shave it off at the end of the month! It was a great way to learn about such a great cause, although I too did not know all of the aspects of their campaign. If I remember, that had a (rather lame IMO) campaign last year on tv, but so far I haven't heard a peep this year.

hey @mrmusic and everyone

Yes ive heard of movember before. since im a female i dont exactly have a moustache lol so.. i donate whatever change ive got when i see the little donation money boxes and support things like sausage sizzles and other events associated with this event.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

I've heard of Movember before but I never really participate in it as I'm usually to shave my facial hair regularly.

Great points so far everyone! Smiley Happy

@scared01  The moustache is the primary 'image' of the Movember campaign, but as you have already noted there are other ways to get involved, such as raising money getting fit, or with fundraising activities. Bunnings would be a great place to hold a sausage sizzle, as well as having information about men's health!

@Chrysalis89  That's fine, because there are many activities that you can participate in without needing a moustache. It might be a good idea to check out the website above if you wish to get involved!

exactly @mrmusic
depending if im involved in a charity at the time, i often volunteer somehow as well
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Been trying to get involved in the forums, but I really don't know where to start first.

Hello everybody!

Yes I have and I love the concept, however I can not grow a mo or any facial hair even if my life depended on it haha. It's my genes, don't have that going for me so I never participated in the event.