cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Supporting the men in our lives

Hey @Chrysalis89, this is a great place to start. Smiley Happy You can also head over to this thread to introduce yourself! Look forward to seeing you around the forums. Smiley Happy

@LeoTheLion  I think one of the biggest ways one can get involved with the campaign is awareness of the issues surrounding men's health, and importantly, starting the conversation, despite how awkward it might be! Smiley Happy

Hola Everyone Smiley Happy

1. Have you heard of Movember before? If yes, have you ever been involved with it?

I have heard of Movember before, but I admittedly don't know much about it. I've never really been involved in any campaigns but I've donated to them before Smiley Happy

I remember one year when I was in high school a teacher offered to have his head shaved/styled by a student who won a draw. And he ended up with a coloured mohawk which he continued to style and keep everyday for the following year until the next event!! It was so awesome! He'd always partake in it one way or another and it was awesome to see Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart
Highlighted

Loving the diversity of responses so far!

1. Have you heard of Movember before? If yes, have you ever been involved with it?

Despite being a woman I do know a fair bit about Movember - my uncle works in media/advertising and was one of the people who helped promote it when it was first starting out! Men are less likely to seek help for health issues and so it's a really important cause

Also, any fellow Victorians may have noticed that our trains all have Movember moustaches on them this month... I love it so much hahaha

Hey guys, I love the conversation so far! Here's the second question! 

What does "manhood" mean to you? What does it look like or how would you define it? Smiley Happy

What does "manhood" mean to you? What does it look like or how would you define it?

This is such an interesting question and I'm not 100% sure how I'd answer it. There's the stereotypical definition of masculinity which is associated with stoicism, toughness, muscles, cars, beer, sex etc. I don't like that definition for a number of reasons though...

I think that instead of being tough, manhood is about having the strength and the courage to be vulnerable. It's about not being afraid to cry if you need to, being able to give your homies a bro hug because you care about them, being able to say "I love you" to your parents or your kids or whoever... Because we should promote the idea that "real" men have feelings, just like women do. This starts from the moment we're born - it's much more acceptable for little girls to like playing with toy trucks, than it is for little boys to walk around wearing pink tutus Smiley Sad

This is all coming from my own female-identifying perspective. I'd be interested to hear what the guys on here have to say on this one!

Hey @lokifish those gifs are freakin' perfect! And I love a lot of what you said there. You're absolutely right in that strength can come in different forms and everyone should have the inner strength to be vulnerable and express feelings. 

As a female I have always disliked the concept of "manhood" because I feel that trying to define what a man should be is not productive and just sets up one ideal when all men are diverse beings! However, I know a lot of men like the concept of manhood and the friendship and camaraderie that goes with that. Just like women supporting women, manhood often involves men supporting men and I love that! 

Also things are changing a lot. At the kinder I used to work at, boys wearing tutus during dress up time was 100% acceptable. I know that's not the case everywhere and with everyone but it does happen and I think its a great sign Smiley Happy 

@Libellule oh absolutely! There are guys who are perfectly comfortable conforming to traditional masculinity, and I probably could've worded my response better in that regard. The idea that 50% of the population should be defined according to a specific construct is unreasonable, but unfortunately that's how society works at the moment, so I think it's more realistic to try and change the ideal of "real" men rather than eliminate it entirely. I agree that it's dumb though Smiley Tongue

Also, off topic, but part of me is seriously considering going into early childhood teaching once I finish my degree, and that last paragraph made me smile so much Smiley Happy Heart

Hello everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Yes, I have! However, unfortunately, I haven't been involved with it. I do love the motive behind it, especially with raising awareness regarding men's suicide, because I think it is so important given how truly alarming the stats behind men's suicide are. 

What does "manhood" mean to you? What does it look like or how would you define it?

I second @lokifish's answer regarding manhood being about having the strength and the courage to be vulnerable, but also not being afraid to seek help and support during tough times instead of trying to "tough it out".

Fantastic responses so far everyone! Smiley Very Happy Time for the next question:

3. What are some of the barriers to men asking for help when they need it?

@Libellule @Bee @lokifish @Esperanza67 @LeoTheLion @Chrysalis89 @scared01