cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO CHAT] Supporting the men in our lives

@Esperanza67 men's suicide is a huge issue and doesn't get enough attention! An interesting statistic is that women are more likely to attempt suicide, but 4 times as many men actually die from it. It's sad Smiley Sad

What are some of the barriers to men asking for help when they need it?

Toxic masculinity is a huge one. The idea that men shouldn't show their emotions and "boys don't cry" is still taught to us by society. I also think that because of this, men aren't as good at identifying that something is actually wrong with them. By the time they recognise the problem, it's progressed to a point where it's even more embarrassing to seek help.

There's also issues with accessing services. The majority of domestic violence services, for example, are geared towards women and children. This completely neglects male victims, who find themselves in their situation because they're in a same sex relationship, or because, sadly, women can be perpetrators too!

(If anyone reading this needs help, 1800 RESPECT provide free, confidential, 24/7 support to both men and women affected by assault and violence)

What does everyone else think? Smiley Happy

For question 2 i really dont have much to add to what the others have already said.

Question 3- what are some barriers to men asking for help?
i think one of the main things is that stimga that surrounds men when they need help, that being it makes them weaker or a 'weakling' for asking for help or accepting that they need help when thats really not the case.
some cases they might feel embarrassed too.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

You're on fire @mrmusic with asking these questions! Go you! 

@lokifish that is soo awesome! Go Melbs!

What does "manhood" mean to you? What does it look like or how would you define it?

As a female I have no idea how to answer this question...

I'm curious to see how the males answer this question Smiley Happy

I agree with the points @lokifish and @Libellule have made

3. What are some of the barriers to men asking for help when they need it?

I think a big one is stigma and the idea that men have to be strong, like they are seen as weak if they need help or cry etc. (Which is something I really dislike because ALL HUMANS HAVE FEELINGS!! No matter what gender they identify as!)

Again @lokifish has summed it up beautifully!

And as @scared01 they might be embarrassed to seek help

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

This is such a good idea for a GR!
Men's mental health is so important. We need to try to break through the stereotypes!
I'm so glad that this is starting to get pushed in the media. It's so important that men are able to show their emotions and express their struggles and get the appropriate help they need.
Heart

3. What are some of the barriers to men asking for help when they need it?

I don't have much else to add as I reckon @scared01@lokifish, and @Bee answered this question on point. But this question does remind me of how Terry Crews, who you may know from Brooklyn Nine-Nine and White Chicks, was a victim of sexual assault and didn't speak up about the incident until recently as he believed that he would be ostracised if he did so, which is really sad to hear.

so sad to hear that he had to hold on to that for so long @Esperanza67
it also makes me so mad when guys shame each other for coming out with things like that for example 50 cent critiqued Terry Crews for talking about his sexual assault Smiley Sad
Highlighted

I know right @missep? Plus there were other people questioning why he didn't fight back, it makes me shake my head in frustration.

me too!! @Esperanza67
But luckily other than that there has been a lot of support but it's men like Terry who's opening the door for more men to talk about their experiences Smiley Happy

Definitely @missep Smiley Happy, especially in light of the MeToo movement. It's so great to see several men like Terry Crews also sharing their experiences.

Such a great discussion everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Yep @missep @Esperanza67, so important that all victims of sexual assault receive support, regardless of whether they are male or female.

Which actually leads to our next question:

4. How can we encourage men to seek help when they need it?