cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SLOW-MO GR] 15th-21st April: How to Relax and Calm Those Nerves 101

Hello Everyone!

It's something you gotta admit! Between school, work, family, friends and just plain old life in general- things can get pretty overwhelming at times!

busy cat GIF

Often things get so hectic that we forget  to take the time to take a step back for a moment and do something to help ourselves manage our stress levels

meditation GIF

But it's super important to actually take that time to practice things we can do -even on the go!- to help us keep going and maintain our well-being! Heart 

meditation GIF

meditation GIF

So join us for our SLOW-MO GR chat starting next week on Monday the 15th of April for our discussion about How to Relax and Calm Those Nerves 101, with new questions coming throughout the week Smiley Very Happy 

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] 15th-21st April: How to Relax and Calm Those Nerves 101

Happy Monday Everyone!

coffee winks GIF

Here's the first question to get this weeks GR How to Relax and Calm Those Nerves 101 started!

What are times in your week/day where you need to calm your nerves? How can you tell it's time take a moment to try something to help yourself calm down or relax a bit?

busy work GIF

Love this week's GR! 

Relaxing is a skill we all need to work on. 

Just tagging a few people who are online if you'd like to contribute to the discussion - no pressure! @Bananatime04  @hellofriend  @queenP @sidekick-bot @mspaceK 

What are times in your week/day where you need to calm your nerves? How can you tell it's time take a moment to try something to help yourself calm down or relax a bit?

In my day, I often need to calm down when I am facing a stressful uni assignment. Likewise, since I have OCD, I often need to take a moment for myself to stay calm when I am doing ERP therapy, as this can be really tough and gets the anxiety going! 

I can tell it's time to take a moment for myself based on the signals my body is sending me - if I'm feeling nervous energy, sweating, carrying a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, or feeling extremely overtired, it's time to take a break and relax for a while. In terms of mental cues, when my thoughts start racing, or I can't seem to find a way out of a problem, or I start directing anger towards my loved ones, I know it is time to step back. 

Highlighted

I think when I have been to work and i've got a lot due for Uni is when I notice I get quite anxious and need some time to relax. I find my mind starts racing and I get really agitated and irritable.

Often it may mean I need to take a nap or do something fun like playing with the dogs.

I think i'm a bit like you guys @Alison5  @queenP , i notice that it's time for me to take a step back for a second when i'm getting very worked up and irritable at small things or getting really tense. I can also get a bit of a sensory overload and get teary at everything (especially good things though! cute cat video-i'm gone Smiley LOL) Public transport when i'm like this-not fun!

Time for a Tuesday question!! Smiley Very Happy

When can nerves be good? How can we transform nervous energy into a motivator? 

Sometimes stress can be useful, it lets us know that things are important! There's always a balance though Heart

happy motivation GIF

I think a really classic example of stress being a good motivator is for study or work. Having a deadline for yourself pushes you to focus and complete work, but it can also put up a huge roadblock in your productivity. If we tip over the edge into 'too stressed' it makes it hard to concentrate and get things done. 

It kinda highlights the difference between positive stress that helps keep you motivated and negative stress that interferes with functioning and well being, and how they can both occur in the same situation for different people. 

Super interested to hear what everyone else's thoughts are on what generates stress for one person but not another! Particularly when we start talking about coping mechanisms later in the week Heart

Definitely not a one size fits all cause and solution for stress, that's for sure...

When can nerves be good? How can we transform nervous energy into a motivator? 
Sometimes nerves can tell us that we need to ask important questions about something or that it might not be a good experience for us. I have had 'gut instincts' about particular people or things that ended up being justified. I also think that nerves can help motivate you to study for exams. Most people find that they study more just before the day of a final exam. Fear of failure or rejection can help people study harder or try to make a good impression. Some stress can be important for survival or help us get things done.

Good morning everyone! Here is Wednesday's question:

Have you ever tried meditation? Does it work for you? Would you want to give it a shot? 

dogue.gif

meditate.gif