cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] 15th-21st April: How to Relax and Calm Those Nerves 101

Have you ever tried meditation? Does it work for you? Would you want to give it a shot?

Personally, I'm a big fan of meditation. Using the Headspace app, I've built up my skills can now meditate for around 20 minutes at a time before I start feeling too restless to focus. At first, I found meditation SO FRUSTRATING and didn't think that it was for me. But, the biggest thing that helped me was realising that meditation is not about getting rid of thoughts and having a blank mind - that's next to impossible! Really, the aim of meditation is to realise when you are drifting into thoughts, and bringing yourself back to a more constant focus, like your breathing. While this doesn't free you from stressful thoughts, it gives your mind and body permission to ignore them for a little while. 

Hey everyone! The responses here are so great that I thought I'd join in Smiley Very Happy

What are times in your week/day where you need to calm your nerves? How can you tell it's time take a moment to try something to help yourself calm down or relax a bit?

Living with BPD means I get constantly overwhelmed with emotions, and often the triggers will seem really mundane to other people. Calming myself down is therefore something I have to work really hard at. Changes in both my physical and mental state can be cues that I need to calm down

When can nerves be good? How can we transform nervous energy into a motivator? 

I agree with everyone that stress can be good in small doses, because it acts as a survival mechanism. If we're being chased by a tiger, we want to be able to get away from it as quickly as possible! I find that nervous energy can actually be a really good motivator to exercise Smiley Happy

Have you ever tried meditation? Does it work for you? Would you want to give it a shot? 

I've tried meditation apps and am not a huge fan - they tend to make me feel worse (though lots of people love them!). I try to have 'mindful moments' throughout my day, though... I like to focus on the green of the grass or the soft feel of my blankets etc. for just a few seconds Smiley Happy

Absolutely loving reading through this SlowMo- I think it really shows how individual and personal every person's experience of calm is Heart Learning so much reading through your answers! 

What are times in your week/day where you need to calm your nerves? How can you tell it's time take a moment to try something to help yourself calm down or relax a bit?

This last month I have really been focussing a lot of my energy into finding what helps me relax and when I might need to take some time out to chill. I find the afternoons particularly high stress and a time when I really need to channel self love inwards. I know it is time to do some relaxation when I notice my mind wondering, when I feel tension in my body, or when my energy drops. 

When can nerves be good? How can we transform nervous energy into a motivator? 

I have always found that healthy and manageable levels of nerves can help me stay focused and keep me motivated throughout the day. I regularly do self check ins throughout the day to see where my nerves are at and make sure I am taking breaks if they start to rise. 

A few years ago, I would have said no, but I have just recently started again and finding it super helpful! I have the headspace app and I do a 5 min mediation at night to go to sleep and in the morning if I have time. I have found it has really helped to bring me to a state of calm and just have some "nothing" time for my mind. 

Very interesting that my perspective on mediation has changed! Sometimes strategies that didn't work at one time in my recovery are really working for me now Smiley Happy

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

For me, meditation is against my religion. But I've done a form of yoga before, and I didn't like it.

My kind of meditation, is doing a workout in the gym. Playing music whilst working out, really puts me into a better mindset. But it's school holidays, so I can't go atm.

Great question! Sorry I missed the other questions. Nobody told me there was a GR. In future, can someone please tag me? I don't really look at the other threads that are on the forums... except for the ones I participate in...
Thanks! 😊

@xXLexi_Lou122Xx  i'll try to remember to do so! (but my mind can be a bit of a leaky sponge at times so i'll link you to the GR schedule here, we change things around a bit which is why the dates are a bit different sometimes there though Smiley LOL)
I really love the way you and @lokifish have different alternatives to meditation that still put you in a similar, more mindful, mindset. I'm definitely going to try the 'mindful moment's lokifish mentioned Smiley Very Happy 

Gonna name and shame myself here with my response. I actually really like meditation, i find it really helps keep me in my own skin and in the moment, but... i just kept using the sample Smiling Mind one until i got sick of it, because i'm too lazy to make an account Smiley LOL I really am a ridiculous potato sometimes haha 

Goal set: make an account!

Thursday question time!

Do you have any go to relaxation methods? Or is there anything you've been meaning to try?

ghost hug GIF

Happy Friday everyone! Here's the final question of the week:

Share a time you have been able to calm your nerves and something great happened! What was it about the situation that helped you cope?

bey.gif

Happy Easter to those of you that celebrate it and Happy Sunday to those of you that don't Smiley Very Happy

spring easter GIF

Do you have any go to relaxation methods? Or is there anything you've been meaning to try?

I like taking the time to have Still Time. Time where I can just tuck myself away somewhere quiet and not too bright and just enjoy being still. I do this literally anywhere, from the library basement bookshelves with my hood up and music playing or my room having a lie down in the dark. I find it really peaceful Smiley Happy I really do want to try meditation, we'll get there eventually! Smiley LOL 

Share a time you have been able to calm your nerves and something great happened! What was it about the situation that helped you cope?

Random example! I was really second guessing volunteering at a health conference last year and was considering cancelling, but I kept practising slow breathing and focusing on how exciting it was and how nice and supportive the people also there were, and it ended up being amazing and I hope I get to do it again this year! Smiley Very Happy