cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SLOW-MO GR: Being kind to myself (18th to 22nd of January)

hey guys! nice to see you all. this is a great GR topic, i hope lots of people join in here!

What does meaning Kind to ourselves mean?
For me it means to give ourselves a break and to rest. Alot of us pressure ourselves into being 'perfect' but the truth is we are all perfect in our own ways so when we make a mistake instead of chastising ourselves for it, learn and move forward to better ourselves. forgive ourselves for those small mistakes and for taking a break from work or school or studying when it becomes to much.

Why is it important?
The world has enough people judging, we dont need to constantly critique ourselves as well

Can you think of an example of when youve been kind to yourself?
i took abit of time to myself instead of going straight into my responsibilities for the day. i needed some fresh air and a space to breathe for a little while before the craziness of the day set in
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@musicfan_xo you can join in at anytime, each day there will be new questions so feel free to answer the questions from the start and work your way up to the current day Smiley Happy

Nope @musicfan_xo, we'll be here all week Smiley Very Happy You're free to answer the questions any time, even after the week if you wanted Smiley Happy

Ooh interesting question @WinterCalvino Smiley Surprised I think how we talk to ourselves is like how we interpret things that we do or that happen. It can greatly affect how we feel about a situation. It just makes me think of the CBT appraisal model lol.

*Possible TW around eating* An example could be how you think about food. If you think eating is a bad thing and will lead you to look a certain way you might feel guilty or ashamed to eat. But if you had perhaps a more helpful thought around eating that it is necessary and there's no good or bad foods per se, you might feel happy and confident around food.

Another example could be if you tell yourself that you're bad at studying and you're going to fail, it might make you feel hopeless and unmotivated. But if you thought about studying as a process that interested you and wanted to learn about the most recent reading (etc) you might feel curious and engaged.

Being kind to ourselves when we talk to ourselves can have a big impact on how we're feeling, but of course emotions are a very complex thing, and cognitive appraisal can seem a little oversimplified Smiley Tongue

Has anyone found talking to themselves in a different way when approaching an aspect of their lives helpful?

@scared01 

I love your answers to the questions - especially the one ‘what does being kind to ourselves mean?’ I really needed that reminder that not everything has to be perfect and that it’s important to learn and move forward Heart thanks so much! 

thanks @WinterCalvino
i am loving reading all the responses here from everyone here too!

Does how we talk to ourselves impact on our approach to different aspects of our lives (e.g. work/study, relationships, sleep, eating, etc)?

It definitely can. Having beneficial and helpful thoughts can help us to have healthier approaches to things, such as work, relationships, etc. On the other hand, having negative beliefs about ourselves can lead to us having negative and damaging approaches. How we talk to ourselves is heavily linked to our physical and mental wellbeing, which is why being kind to ourselves is so important.

Thanks @scared01  @Lost_Space_Explorer5 , I'll post my answers shortly xx

@featuringme thanks for posting the question

Does how we talk to ourselves impact on our approach to different aspects of our lives (e.g. work/study, relationships, sleep, eating, etc)?

If your not kind to yourself this majorly negatively affect your overall life. Like with work/study overworking is easy when someone feels they are never hitting their own standards. In relationships, this can affect how open or how the person represents themselves. For me personally with eating, when I hated myself I would binge eat and just not look after myself. These just a few consequences highlighting why kindness to ourselves like give to others is so important.

Hmm, i would say both yes and no. I find that we are often kinder to other people then we are ourselves. I can be super hard on myself and unforgiving for some habits or things ive done or think however when it comes to others ive been known to be 'too forgiving'. im much better at being kinder and guiding others along through both good and bad times much better then myself. 

Sorry everyone, here's my answers for the questions so far. I'll make it as easy as possible to read. I hope it's okay to tag everyone who has contributed so far, my apologies if it's not. These threads are interesting by the way. 

@A_Friend @Lost_Space_Explorer5 @featuringme @scared01 @WinterCalvino @Kaylee-RO 

1. What does being kind to ourselves mean?

That's a hard question, but I would say being kind to ourselves means taking time out for ourselves. That can be different for everyone. It could be attending some sort of therapy, seeing a professional, seeing and/or talking to family and/or friends, going on these forums, exercise, art, colouring in, pampering (such as a nice bath with some bath bombs), reading, writing, watching TV or movies, whatever it is. It means that we all need to do some self care, and try and love ourselves, like we love others. I struggle with all of this myself but that's the best explanation I can think of.

2. Why is it important?

To remind ourselves that it's okay not to be okay; it's okay to struggle. Self care isn't selfish in any way, it's necessary for everybody, especially those with mental health issues. It can be therapeutic and healing, and to avoid ourselves getting mentally and physically exhausted, etc.

3. Can you think of an example when you've been kind to yourself?

Going to a concert to see my favourite singer (and a concert before that from another band I love, but the one with my favourite singer meant more to me), doing work experience in high school for 2 years at Aged Care Homes, and possibly more but I can't think of any right now.

4. Does how we talk to ourselves impact on our approach to different aspects of our lives? (e.g. work/study, relationships, sleep, eating, etc?)

I would say yes. It's hard to be positive for me and to believe I can do something, because I'm a failure - I left school early (year 10, 2015) because of a few reasons which are too triggering for me to write, sorry. I don't study and I don't work (I've looked into stuff though). I struggle with eating habits and sleeping. But anyway, my answer would be yes, because if we talk ourselves down, we won't feel like we will be able to push ourselves, whether it's to change something such as dieting, exercise, etc. If we believe we can do things and tell ourselves "I can do whatever I set my mind to" and have a better, stronger attitude, then that would have a better positive impact on ourselves and aspects of our lives.