cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: SLOW-MO GR: Building Rapport with Professionals, 12th-18th August

Love the wordcloud. These definitely reflect what I feel!

I love seeing all our answers together like that! Definitely, I think being non-judgemental and having respect go hand in hand. Unfortunately I think it mainly comes from seeing marginalised people being faced with disrespect and judgement over and over again in society. Smiley Sad Like I said before, though, change comes with expressing such wrongs and realising no one deserves to be treated that way!

Have you ever switched psychologists? How did the process go for you?
I have, but mainly it was due to my sessions with my previous one running out, with about a two year gap between each one. This is an upcoming question, but there have been a lot of barriers between me getting the support I need. I can't really afford sessions that aren't under the medicare mental health plan, and there's only a few psychologists/ mental health workers in my area that allow bulk-billing. Honestly, it's exhausting having to tell my story over and over again, and when things don't really work the way I expected feeling like no one can help... Smiley Sad

Have you ever switched psychologists? How did the process go for you?
Yes, I have switched psychologists. It wasn't because I didn't like my psychologist, it was just because I couldn't access her at one point and had to rely on my school psychologist. Then she went on maternity leave, so I ended up with another school psychologist. All the psychologists were on the same page, which helped. I didn't really do much therapy with the school ones. They would just check in on me and communicate on my behalf. It helped to have a psychologist outside of school because I would often discuss issues I had with the teachers that I wouldn't have felt comfortable talking about in front of a school psychologist. Overall, this system worked for me.

@WheresMySquishy ooh, I feel bad because I forgot all about school psychologists! Smiley Tongue yes, I think I also first saw a psychologist outside of school via a school psychologist. They can be very helpful and convenient, especially with school problems and getting teachers to understand, etc! 

1. What qualities do you think a psychologist should have?

- Professional: they should be punctual and respectful of your time that you have with them. Should also uphold the same boundaries as any of health professional does or what you would expect.

- Kind and empathetic.

- Honest: I need someone to call me out and not just be like yeah everything is great.

2. Have you seen a psychologist before? If so, do you have any advice to those who are seeing a psychologist for the first time?

Yes. I might be terrifying but the outcome is so worth it. Sometimes you have to do a hard thing to get the most gain.
The first session if really just going over your life and how you are doing/what you are struggling with but it is also a chance for you to get an understanding of what the psychologist is like. You also will fill out a few forms as well.

You can also ask questions such as: what days and time do you work? (you want someone that you know has a schedule that will suit you long term if needed). What types of therapies do you practice with and what do they entail? (There are quite a few and a lot do a mixture of both). These are just a couple of examples but can be super helpful.
3. Do you have any advice on how to communicate with your psychologist/get your point across?
I usually just blurt it all out and hope for the best. I am been with the same psychologist for a while now, so she knows me pretty well and can pick up on what I am trying to say.

If you have specific things you want to touch on jot them down on a piece of paper so you don't forget them, as you want to use your time as best you can.
4. Have you ever switched psychologists? How did the process go for you?

No, lucky I haven't. I am nervous as heck thinking about the day that I might have to.

4. Have you ever switched psychologists? How did the process go for you?

In a way, yes. I've seen a few different psychologists but I've never asked them for a referral to someone else. I saw a psychologist that wasn't a great fit for me and I sort of just dropped out of therapy because I moved interstate. When I moved interstate I immediately got a mental health plan sorted and started seeing my current psych, after carefully researching the kind of psychologist I would like to see. That research really helped me find someone I clicked with, but if we hadn't clicked I would have asked for an onward referral.

Thursday Time! Smiley Very Happy Heart xxx

Are there any barriers and/or difficulties in switching psychologists? If so, what are they?

Are there any barriers and/or difficulties in switching psychologists? If so, what are they?
- Having to work out how to get to the new psychologist (if they are not in the same building or close by)
- Having to take a history all over again
- Learning to trust the new psychologist, especially if your expectations have been shaped by the previous one
- Potentially, new styles of therapy or different approaches to treatment
- They may disagree with each other in terms of treatment and diagnosis
- Anxiety about what your previous one would think of you changing psychologists
- The sessions with the new psychologist may cost differently to the old one's sessions

Happy Friday everyone! Smiley Tongue

giphy

Do you know the difference between all the health professionals you can see for support (e.g., psychologist, counsellor, psychiatrist, social worker, occupational therapist, etc.)? Why is it important that we should know the difference between these health professionals?

Hmm... I think they provide different types/ levels of support?

Knowing the difference can be important because it helps you know who to get help from.

Like if you want to start medications, you'd want to find a psychiatrist, not an OT.

And if you need talk therapy you'd probably want to get a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist.