cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SLOW-MO GR: FUTURE STRESS 15th-21st July

Considering I am in the middle of dealing with future stress this GR is very timely!

What are your plans for the future? Could be for next week or for 15 years from now in your dream career! If you're a bit stuck/unsure, what are you doing nowadays?

Hopefully getting a job soon! I have just finished my studies so I officially have a Diploma in Community Services and I am now starting to look for work.

Is there anything about your plans that's giving you a bit of anxiety/stress or that you're uncertain about?

Just finding a job, also I hate not having a routine/stucture and when you're looking for work you don't have that so just trying to find some sort of routine that keeps me moving forward and not staying still.

For the past 18 months my life has been about assignments and prac placements and it's werid not to have to that to focus on. I'm also terrified of loosing everything I have learnt, especially in the Community Services industry you need to stay relevant.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Hey All, 

(prepare yourselves for a bit of a long post here Smiley Tongue )

Q1. What are your plans for the future? Could be for next week or for 15 years from now in your dream career! If you're a bit stuck/unsure, what are you doing nowadays?

I guess I have a couple of loose plans but I'm happy with that, I've always been a flexible person Smiley Happy

I plan to finish my study soon, I have one assessment left to go and I'm finished! Woo. The plan is to just enjoy working at my job as an admin/banking clerk (while continuing to learn more about the company)

@MisoBear that is really cool! I wish you all the very best!

@Tiny_leaf trying to stay as healthy as you can is a great goal! I like the idea of a service dog too! Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy You sound so busy! It's great that you've been able to put not getting into the course you wanted this year, it sounds like with everything you've done you'll make an amazing mental health professional, whichever direction you end up taking Heart

Q2. Is there anything about your plans that's giving you a bit of anxiety/stress or that you're uncertain about?

Study! (Be honest; it stresses us all out at some point right!?) I have one unit assessment left and I have zero motivation or care and my mental health is making it hard too. So I feel like I'm up poop creek without a paddle...

@ErinsAntics congrats on getting your diploma! Well done! I think that's a very relevant concern about forgetting material and needing to stay current. Is there a way you could volunteer somewhere in the relevant field until you find work? 

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

What are your plans for the future? Could be for next week or for 15 years from now in your dream career! If you're a bit stuck/unsure, what are you doing nowadays?

My hope like many of you is to one day be a clinical psychologist. But honestly, it is really a struggle to get there. I am not strongly academically inclined and just completing undergraduate level study is difficult. I also had a dream of doing make-up artistry but I have had to put that dream on hold because juggling both the dreams is tricky and I have decided to try to focus on my psychology studies more so I won't struggle as much.

Q2. Is there anything about your plans that's giving you a bit of anxiety/stress or that you're uncertain about?

Yes. I feel like I'm running out of time. As if I'm on a deadline to finish my studies. I was hoping I could finish in the minimum amount of time but every semester it looks like I will be further extending my studies because I am struggling so much.

Highlighted

Seems like this GR is really relevant for lots of our community members at the moment (it also is for me)! Congrats to everyone who is finishing up their studies soon Smiley Happy

Q1. What are your plans for the future? Could be for next week or for 15 years from now in your dream career! If you're a bit stuck/unsure, what are you doing nowadays?
I'm currently on my final placement and will actually finish my uni degree this year. I'm learning so much at the moment which is really exciting. It hasn't really sunk in yet that this is my last year as a student (for now at least)! I hope next year that I will be able to find a full time job and start working that 9-5 lifestyle Smiley Tongue I'm also excited to finish uni so that I have more time to dedicate to things that I want to do outside of uni (Eg social life, volunteering, hobbies).

Q2. Is there anything about your plans that's giving you a bit of anxiety/stress or that you're uncertain about?
Definitely - the uncertainty of where I might be next year and if I will be able to find a full time job.

Is there anything about your plans that's giving you a bit of anxiety/stress or that you're uncertain about?

I don't know if I'll get into postgraduate study because it's so competitive. I also don't know how I will juggle my caring responsibilities with study. Although I am getting some extra support now, I will need to make sure that one of the family members I am caring for is supported when I'm out of the house. That will be one less thing to worry about. I also have a health condition which I have to take treatments for multiple times a day, so I will have to bring my medications around with me, which I've never had to do before, and it kind of limits some of the things I can do. If my doctors decide that I need surgery, I don't know when I can schedule it either.

Similar to @WheresMySquishy I don't know whether or not I'll gain a place in a postgraduate program. However, given I've already had a career in a different industry I don't feel as much pressure as I once did. I obviously care a lot about my new career path and meeting my goals, but I don't think placing unnecessary pressure on myself is a good thing. I work hard, but I always tell myself that if things don't work out there are a multitude of other opportunities to do something else I love. Having one singular thing that I'm hyperfocused on (in terms of a career) is too regimented for me now because life is not linear and things don't always work out the way you plan.

I think honestly the best thing to do when you're young is to try a bunch of different things and experiment without placing too much pressure on one path. People change careers all the time so having multiple skills is a huge advantage.

@Ladybug that sounds like a really stressful place to be in Smiley Sad It seems like there's so much pressure to finish within a certain 'acceptable' time period, but so many people end up going part-time, deferring, repeating classes, and even changing courses! The fact that you're keeping at it and being so persistent is beyond amazing! It totally makes sense to focus on one dream at a time to give yourself breathing space, do you like doing makeup artistry as a hobby in your spare time too right now or are you taking a more concrete break? Smiley Happy

@May_ that's so exciting that you're nearly done! ahhhhh Smiley Very Happy 
Going from studying to contemplating finding full-time work sounds daunting! I think you'll be awesome in whatever you do Heart Any hobbies you're super keen to get stuck into once the sem is over?

@WheresMySquishy ahhh clinical psych really is ridiculously competitive! They say there aren't enough clin psychs but then only offer a handful of postgrad courses! Where's the logic! Smiley Sad That being said, you seem like you're doing so many awesome things volunteer-wise to give yourself a good shot! (keeping all fingers and toes crossed for you! :heart)

Balancing caring, school, and your own health does sound complicated... really hoping you get that extra in home support Heart xx

@MisoBear such a good way of looking at things! Changing paths is more than okay (very common actually!) and the things you learn along the way are never wasted Heart You're so so right, even if you put in the hard work, sometimes things end up differently than we plan and that's okay! (I mean it still sucks...) There are ways and ways to getting to where you're meant to be Heart

arghh this post is getting super long! oh well! Smiley LOL

Right now i'm a bit unsure about what my plans are for next year. Whether to take a gap year, or study something else....Most of my preparation was for the course i originally planned on taking next year, and though lots of my planning is applicable elsewhere it means i'm kind of scrambling to do research and look at entry requirements, all while figuring out if this path is right for me or if i'll change paths again... I'm still excited though at how many different paths there are out there! It's a lot less limited than i was afraid of and i don't feel like i've wasted my time. I plan to work in mental health so my degree in psych is still super relevant! Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

After my long-winded rambling there's also our question for today! Smiley LOL

How do you deal with stress about the future? Are you more que sera, sera, or do you want to know now for certain where you're headed in future? 

happy marge simpson GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Wow I like hearing about so many people wanting to work in the mental health sector! It's cool that even though we are all dealing with our own stressors and hardships a lot of you are still willing to put yourself out there to try and help others Heart 

What are your plans for the future? Could be for next week or for 15 years from now in your dream career! If you're a bit stuck/unsure, what are you doing nowadays? Smiley Very Happy

In the very near future I have a job interview in a fortnight that I am super excited about! I don't want to get my hopes up too much, because I'm sure there are others interviewing for the position, but it is exactly the kind of job I want and need right now!  

Oooops, and my answer to the recent question...

How do you deal with stress about the future? Are you more que sera, sera, or do you want to know now for certain where you're headed in future? 

I definitely like to know where I'm headed and like to try to control my future as much as possible. Probably not the healthiest mindset but I think I'm becoming slightly more relaxed and 'go with the flow' recently.