cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SLOW-MO GR: FUTURE STRESS 15th-21st July

I agree with @recharging_introvert.
I'm a person who likes to know what's happening, and all that, but I do get quite relaxed, depending on what I'm doing. For something like a musical, I want to know what's happening, so I don't miss anything. Which has happened before, and I got really annoyed.

Wow this thread I can really relate to! It's so interesting hearing everyone's aspirations and what they are passionate about, it's so awesome to hear! I am currently studying my 4th year (postgrad) in psychology. 

In all honesty, I started off my degree certain I wanted to do clinical psychology. Now that I have only 6 months to go of my studies, I am more unsure now than ever. I have no idea what life holds for me at the end of the year as I know it is hard to get employed in the psychology field straight out of uni and I am still unsure on what field of psychology I want to be in. I am a person who always has their life planned out for at least the next year so I am very stressed not knowing what I will do next year. However, it's nice to know I am not alone with these feelings. 

So in terms of my plans/goals for the future, my biggest one is to complete my study and graduate with good grades in 6 months time. After that who knows. I have a solid income through retail at the moment so I guess I can use that income as a safety net while I look around and research what sort of career paths I may be interested in.

It looks like there are a lot of soon to be school leavers in this thread and ReachOut in general so I just wanted to say good luck to all of you! It is an exciting time of your life and I have made so many memories, friends and life lessons throughout my years at university Smiley Happy 

What are your plans for the future? Could be for next week or for 15 years from now in your dream career! If you're a bit stuck/unsure, what are you doing nowadays?

My initital plans are to work on my mental and physical health so that i can get abit more confidence inmyself to try new things, id like to further my study in the health sector (but not entirely sure which courses yet). i dont have a future job in mind as i have much to get through in a few more years to come in the caring profession im in right now
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Is there anything about your plans that's giving you a bit of anxiety/stress or that you're uncertain about?

there is alot of stress involved in these plans esp about if ill be able to achieve them, whether my plans will be able to remain the same with a few things happening here, wondering how long ill have my current job etc.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

How do you deal with stress about the future? Are you more que sera, sera, or do you want to know now for certain where you're headed in future? 
I think it depends on what it is about. With my caring responsibilities, I really needed to know for certain what was going on. I wanted to have an idea of when I was going to get assistance, for how long and what it would involve. With my sister, the hospitals and doctors often expected us to drop everything and come to a meeting, drop off disability aids, organise home support or come to the hospital at very short notice. Some of us had to take time off work, it cost me job opportunities and there were times I had to reschedule appointments and interviews. The hospital staff kept changing their mind about what they were doing as well. Just last week, we made preparations and went to the hospital having been told that she would be discharged the next day, only to be told that they were delaying the discharge for another week. They also delayed her admission several times, often at the last minute, and told us to call every day to see if she would be admitted. I really need to know exactly what was happening so that I could organise the other aspects of my life. I also wanted to go into the new year having my own goals to achieve and less stress, but that didn't happen this year and probably won't happen next year either. My goals have had to change in order to accommodate the caring.

With my studies, I didn't really have a 'backup plan' if I didn't get into the courses I wanted to get into. I wanted to study either law or psychology and couldn't see myself in a lot of other careers other than perhaps journalism. I was on the merit list throughout university and put a lot of pressure on myself to get high marks and do an honours degree. If I got anything less than a distinction, I would ask the marker why I received that mark and show that I met the marking criteria rather than letting it go. I wanted to feel as if I was 'on track' with achieving my goals. But I have now realised there is a lot more to life than just study. When I didn't get into the course I wanted to get into last year, I just thought that I would gain more experience and reapply when admissions next opened.

With some other things, such as volunteering opportunities, I wasn't as stressed out about them unless the people in charge were taking ages to get back to me. I knew that I could always look for other positions if they didn't accept me. Although, it was kind of stressful and demotivating being knocked back from a lot of roles.

Thursday TIME! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Do you turn to any people/services for advice or support when you're stressed about your future? If not, what's holding you back? Do you have any suggestions for others for who they can reach out to?

motivational high school GIF

Highlighted

Well, I don't look to my hand for advice or support, but I do have some wonderful people at school who help me.

I have multiple people at school, and only a few of those people have been able to support me when I needed it.
So for me, the teachers and teacher aides, are the ones who I go to for help or support.

As much as it hasn't helped much, they always know how to make me feel like I belong.

Hey @ecla34 sorry i haven't been around for a few days as I've been on night shift at work. What have i missed @scared01 maybe you could bring me up to speed

Hi @Brendos94, not a problem for jumping in at the end of the week, I am doing the same! Smiley Happy One of my favourite aspects of the SlowMo GRs is that you can come into the conversation on any day of the week!

So far we have had 4 questions relating to the topic of Future Stress. You are more than welcome to answer as many as you would like! Questions are usually in bold so they are easier to locate Smiley Happy 

I am about to post the fifth question Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here

Here's the next question for Friday

Have the things you've worried about changed over time or across your life? Why/why not? Do you have any advice/experiences to share with everyone about dealing with uncertainty/stress surrounding the future?

Happy New Year Gif Artist GIF by rainydayink

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here