cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SLOW-MO GR: FUTURE STRESS 15th-21st July

Do you turn to any people/services for advice or support when you're stressed about your future? If not, what's holding you back? Do you have any suggestions for others for who they can reach out to?
I've reached out to university careers services and staff a few times for advice, but they were mostly unhelpful or unavailable. Hopefully other members have better luck with them! My parents knew some people who worked in my field, but they don't really have a clue about the kind of experience I need and admission requirements, so I've had to do much of the work on my own. Some employers gave me good advice for applying to jobs and internships too. My psychologist was also really helpful in defining my career goals, giving exam advice, techniques to manage stress, and encouraging me. I also turn to people my age for advice about my field.

Other possible suggestions:
- Teachers/Tutors
- Counsellors
- Employment agencies
- Coaching services
- Networking
- Recruitment agencies

Have the things you've worried about changed over time or across your life? Why/why not? Do you have any advice/experiences to share with everyone about dealing with uncertainty/stress surrounding the future?
Yes, the things I've had to cope with have changed throughout my life, so I've worried about different things. For example, my sister suddenly got sick late last year, which threw all our plans into disarray and we had to rearrange our lives around her conditions. As my grandmother gets older and more frail, I have got more worried about her care and it makes me very anxious to leave her home alone. We used to be able to go interstate with her living alone, so it wasn't as big of an issue then. In the last few years, my grandpa also developed a medical condition that can only be treated by brain surgery (which is risky for him), otherwise it will get worse over time. Thinking about the care that he will eventually need makes me anxious. In school, there was a lot of pressure on me to get high marks, so I was afraid of getting bad results. Now as I get older, I worry about finding employment and getting into postgraduate programs. There are always new stressors and things to worry about.

My advice would be to adapt your coping to target the specific worry as this has helped me in the past. For example, I have a lot of intrusive thoughts about my eye problems like, 'I hate my eyes' and 'I wish I could see better' and those lead to a lot of other negative thoughts. Reframing or changing the thoughts doesn't really help me with these kinds of thoughts because the situation just isn't that good and it's no fun having vision problems and eye pain. So I try to accept the thoughts and let them drift away so that they don't interrupt what I'm doing. I haven't tried apps like ReachOut Worrytime but I would imagine that they would help in a similar way. You could also write down the worry and then come back to it later. Meditations are also really helpful for me.

With other situations, it has sometimes helped me to focus on the positives and think, 'Is it really that bad?' CBT with a psychologist or tool can sometimes be helpful in changing the way you think about your worries.

Another thing that has helped me is recognising that most situations don't last forever. Things may be bad or uncertain now, but they might not be in the future.

@recharging_introvert good luck with your interview! Sending all the good vibes your way! xx Heart
@lr8991 thanks for sharing such positive well wishes with everyone! Having so many people in the same boat really is so encouraging! Heart Using your current job as a safety net while you look at different options sounds like a really solid idea, definitely an option i'm tossing up for next year too xx

@scared01 It sounds really wonderful that by focusing on your physical and mental health you're also aiming to increase your confidence to try new things Heart Heart Heart Struggling to put it into words but sending lots of support in your direction xx

@WheresMySquishy that's such a good list of people to turn to! I also really love your last couple of paragraphs of reflection, it can be so hard to tackle lots of different worries, but handling them with different mindsets sounds really proactive! Heart

How do you deal with stress about the future? Are you more que sera, sera, or do you want to know now for certain where you're headed in future? 

When it comes to the long-term, i'm definitely getting more at peace with not knowing exactly where I will end up. I have a pretty broad idea of the kind of work i want to be doing and if i can do that then i'm happy Smiley Very Happy (i think) For the day-to-day stuff though uncertainty is still not my friend unfortunately! Smiley LOL

Do you turn to any people/services for advice or support when you're stressed about your future? If not, what's holding you back? Do you have any suggestions for others for who they can reach out to?

I usually reach out to family and friends when i'm feeling stressed out/uncertain about the future, either that or i end up googling different pathway options and reading others' experiences. When I had a psychologist i very rarely (regrets) did so, which would've been nice to talk through further. I felt too shy talking to her though, because i was afraid deep down she'd judge me for wanting to work in mental health when i was seeing her, which was silly looking back, but there you go! Can't help your thoughts sometimes 

As for who to reach out to @WheresMySquishy has an awesome list! And if you're finding yourself really overwhelmed by thoughts about the future, there's always the option of contacting Kids Helpline, headspace, and Lifeline Heart Smiley Very Happy 

Have the things you've worried about changed over time or across your life? Why/why not? Do you have any advice/experiences to share with everyone about dealing with uncertainty/stress surrounding the future?

Overall i'm way less concerned about the specifics and more concerned with eventually finding work that is meaningful to me, where i'm in a position to live my life and look out for both myself and my family and friends Heart I'm not one who's really good at offering advice in this area Smiley LOL but i think when you're overwhelmed taking things one day at a time isn't a bad way to go about things. Focusing on then and there. I try to keep my final goal in mind and have faith that if i do what needs to be done now, things will hopefully end up where i'm aiming. Heart (results may vary on that one Smiley Tongue)

Highlighted

@ecla34 thanks! Smiley Happy When the semester is over I'm super keen to do a painting class, start playing piano, do yoga more often, play netball and possible try out a jewellery making/metal work class. Are there any hobbies that you are interested in pursuing when the semester is over?

@recharging_introvert all the best for the interview I hope it goes well. Getting an interview for a job that you want is a huge achievement! Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy thanks for sharing your reflections on positive thinking and managing stress. I agree that sometimes reframing doesn't work for certain thoughts and have found that acceptance of my thoughts can be a really helpful approach Smiley Happy

I have found the Job Support at Universities is quite helpful and worth looking into if you are a student or a recent graduate. I attended a workshop on resumes and interviews - they also offer career counselling and mentorship which I am keen to try out. Chatting to friends and family about it also helps!

How do you deal with stress about the future? Are you more que sera, sera, or do you want to know now for certain where you're headed in future?

I am definitely more on the wanting to know where I am heading side of the spectrum, however it is also a bit exciting not knowing what I will be doing next year and having the freedom to do something different after being a student for soo long!

I’m trying to find better methods of studying, also to work out my sleep schedule. I’m new here so I got no clue what I’m doing but hey imma give it a go. 

Hi @Lizardneck and welcome to ReachOut! 

Study methods and sleep are both really regularly discussion topics here, so I hope you can find some support and ideas! There are a ton in this thread and across the forums Smiley Happy If you want to share a little bit more about you so we can get to know you better, would really highly recommend making a new topic here. We also have a weekly wellbeing activity on the topic of sleep this week which you might be interested in here. We look forward to seeing you around! 

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here