cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: SLOW-MO GR: Generational Differences, 11th-15th of November

What differences can you identify between yourself and your parents, do these differences impact your relationship?

ive noticed a few things between the way my parents live and the way I live such as the clothing we wear, the tv shows that appear, the music, the cars we drive... I also notice that ive got a higher education then my mum (I don't know my dad) but in their days a lot of people left at the age they could so just before they turned 15.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Do you think your parents had similar experiences with the generation before them? Is this something they overcame or do misunderstandings still remain?

@Bee I agree with you in that parents had different expectations and beliefs too
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Sometimes it can be difficult to connect with older people, what are some shared activities you do with the older people in your life that help you bond? 
My maternal grandma and I like going shopping together. I've also gone shopping with my grandpa and gone out with him to places. We spent a lot of time together on the cruises we went on. My grandpa and I also watch the same TV shows, although sometimes it's hard because he never stops talking! Smiley LOL Out of all my grandparents, he is the one I can do the most activities with (the others aren't as interested), although he now has normal pressure hydrocephalus so he can't stay out for long periods of time and it's hard for him to walk long distances.
I often like going for a walk in the garden with the elderly people I volunteer with. One of them likes playing mahjong, although I have no idea how to play. They also like dancing, crafts, reading, knitting and listening to poetry, jokes and old sayings. Sometimes, it can be hard to communicate with them because some of them are non-verbal or constantly repeat themselves due to forgetting what they have just said, but I try to make them feel included as much as possible.