cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

1. Is taking baby steps more useful than diving straight into it? Why/ why not? 
I think taking baby steps can be more useful because diving straight into a new situation may be dangerous, especially if it involves a physical task. I think it's important to learn about safety procedures before you start doing something physically demanding. One of my family members was pushed into doing something new without being given information on the potential consequences and it had a big impact on our lives. I wish they had received advice from other people about it, rather than just one person, beforehand. Then they could have made a more balanced decision. Additionally, it may be better to take some new tasks slow to build up your confidence.

2. What are some strategies that can make getting out of your comfort zone less painful?

I found seeking support from family and friends very useful when making a lifestyle change. I also found that making a plan and trying the least scary steps first worked out better for me. Setting goals was also useful for me as doing so made me have something to look forward to achieving. Muhammad Ali has been quoted as saying to himself 'suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion' and I found that telling myself that helped me learn new skills that would benefit my life.

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

I feel like this question ties in really nicely with what @ErinsAntics  said earlier. Sometimes we need to start small in order to build our capacity to do things, and that's more than ok! Sometimes you need to dip your toe in before taking the plunge, you know? @WheresMySquishy i agree with you that having all the information you need before making a choice that takes you out of your comfort zone is really important, i'm so sorry that your family member had such an awful outcome Smiley Sad
Overall, i guess it really does depend on the person and the situation.
Baby steps can take you miles in the right direction, but sometimes pulling off the band-aid is the only way to do things! 

2. What are some strategies that can make getting out of your comfort zone less painful?

Baby steps 🐋 do do do do do do 🐟 (sorry couldn't resist Smiley Tongue

Also i feel like having someone with you to help extend your comfort zone/ safety net can be really helpful! I do worry that i have a habit of using my sister as a crutch in some situations, which isn't helpful for me long-term/fair to her, but often I'm able to do things i otherwise would freak out/ overthink doing just having her with me, no crutch needed. The buddy system guys, it's a thing! Smiley LOL

I'm the worst person to ask for this. Mental health professionals even find it weird that while I have extreme anxiety in everyday tasks, I have almost no trouble 'jumping into' things. For example, my first romantic relationship was extremely long distance (she lived in the US). I managed to travel to the US all on my own (my first ever holiday alone/ staying somewhere else without immediate contact with family). I still have no idea how I managed to do it, but I'm so proud of myself and glad I did. I went on a tour to the Grand Canyon where I knew absolutely no one! Here's a picture I took. Smiley LOL

49688575_2275440779156385_4520239443071729664_n.jpg

But yes, please take baby steps whenever you can. Jumping straight into it can be dangerous for both your physical and mental health. In hindsight I was not at all prepared to handle the pressures of a LDR (especially for my first ever relationship) and the fact that I 'just jumped into' everything likely worsened my anxiety overall. Another experience I remember is going to an orientation camp for my university and ending up getting physically sick due to the mental stress that being with new people for the first time in ages + isolated from family with no 'escape' caused me. Taking baby steps helps you to reflect and recognise your progress as you go along (even if you realise along the way the thing outside your comfort zone not be for you!), and in the end you're better off for it.

Taking baby steps! Also, remembering it's okay to take a break and focus on your health. Meditation and mindfulness is great when having breaks. And also, yes, a strong support system cheering you on is the best.

Happy Thursday everyone! Here's today's questions:

Why is it important to challenge ourselves?

hard work.gif

Who is someone you admire and when do you think they’ve gone out of their comfort zone?

giphy (1).gif

Looking forward to seeing your fabulous responses! Cat Very Happy

I think it's important to challenge ourselves because life is all about growth and change. We cannot grow and change into our full potential without challenging ourselves to take the next step in life. If we didn't challenge ourselves, life would constantly be the same and stagnant. I always surprise myself when I do something challenging and see that I was capable of doing it all along. Of course, sometimes we don't always succeed, but I always try and see failed attempts as lessons to improve my next try Smiley Very Happy

Who is someone you admire and when do you think they’ve gone out of their comfort zone?

Beyonce!! I watched a documentary of her preparing for a performance at Billboard Music Awards where she would be performing in front of an interactive, fully LED light stage & floor - technology and a style that had never been done before at the time. Before I watched the documentary, I had already seen the performance and it was flawless. It was so insightful to see the progress of her preparation, she spoke candidly about how didn't know if she could pull this performance off as there was so many new concepts and moves to grasp. One incorrect move would be extremely obvious with the new stage set up. I watched as she rehearsed (even in a hotel hallway - because there wasn't enough room!), fell down, failed and tried  and tried again -  I was so inspired. I think a massive part of her long-lasting career is her motivation to always challenge herself and push the limits as the times change. 

It's important for us to challenge ourselves as no great rewards are ever earned without taking a risk. As my Mum used to say to me, if you're comfortable, you're not growing. At the time, I never liked this advice, because who wants to be uncomfortable, let alone ON PURPOSE? However, now that I'm a little older, I can appreciate what she meant - if you allow yourself to stagnate and don't strive to be better and do better, then you will stay in the same position forever. Opportunities often don't magically fall at people's feet. In reality, you have to go out and chase what you want, and that means putting yourself on the line.

My all-time favourite researcher and my idol as a human being, Brené Brown, is the prime example of the good that can come from pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone. As a qualitative researcher, she spent most of her career only being recognised within the academic community, and says that she went to great lengths to keep herself small by making her work inaccessible to the general public and making sure it sounded 'smart'. However, when she was asked to do a Tedx Talk in Houston, she decided to make herself vulnerable by complementing her research insights with personal anecdotes that put her whole life out there for the world to see. While at the time, this felt like a risky move, her talk has been viewed over 38 million times, and she has gone on to travel the world and write amazing books to help people escape shame and live their best lives. 

I love this quote from her as I think it sums up my experience of challenging myself perfectly:

“Vulnerability is not winning or losing; it’s having the courage to show up and be seen when we have no control over the outcome.”

Pushing yourself outside your comfort zone or trying something new isn't really about the outcome - it's about learning what you are capable of, and facing the dark and scary corners of life with courage.

https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability?language=en

Hi everyone!

Loving everyone's responses. You all rock! Heart 

I'm here for today's question! 

Think about a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone and something really good happened! Share a couple of sentences about your experience!

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Yes GIF

Highlighted

To answer this question it was when I was interviewing for my Masters! It was so nerve-racking and there were times where I just didn't want to do them. I was really stressed out! But I pulled myself together and did them all and now I'm in the course I really want to do in the uni I really love.
It really pays off!

Think about a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone and something really good happened! Share a couple of sentences about your experience!

Travelling overseas was a huge one for me. I was terrified of flying (I used to really struggle with elevators, trains and generally any confined spaces) and by travelling I have been able to largely overcome this fear by doing it so much! My motivation and thinking around this is to ask myself "am I prepared to miss this opportunity because of my fears?" and reminding myself that I am safe and it is worth the struggle. This has made day to day life so much easier too and opened up potential to do so many more things in life Smiley Very Happy

So inspired by both of you @missep and @May_!

This one is a work in progress but I'm proud of myself because it isn't something I would normally do - I am heading home from work and there is this party on tonight that I really wanted to go to, but I don't know anyone going very well. BUT, my bus is about to drive past there, so I figure I will step outside my comfort zone and check it out. As you guys mentioned, I'm a little nervous, but I'm definitely not going to let fear stop me because I don't want to miss out anymore.