cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

Hi there!

Ah, the comfort zone. If life were an amusement park, the comfort zone would be a blanket fort right by the entrance...

giphy
It doesn't seem that bad in there, and it isn't! It's comfortable and made just the way you like it. Maybe there's WIFI, Netflix and ice cream in there. Why would you ever want to leave?

giphy
Unfortunately, the walls of the blanket fort aren't enough to keep you from hearing all the noise outside. You listen to the commotion and start to wonder... are those screams of joy? What are the people out there up to? What is going on?

kronk-on-rollercoaster-2
It seems so happy out there! But... you're already happy here. Here has everything you need. And besides, what if those aren't screams of joy but something else... no, you can't go out there. You try to stop the thought at once..

giphy

But you can't get the 'what-ifs' out of your mind! What if it's no fun out there? What if you do have fun? You can't know for sure unless you try.

We may feel this way within many areas of our lives. By sticking to what is comfortable and familiar to us, we can predict what's going to happen, so everything is regulated. The risk of future anxiety and distress is lessened.

But sometimes, staying in our comfort zones stops us from doing things we really want to do. Worse still, it can stop us from discovering other new and exciting possibilities! Exposing ourselves to new challenges and changes helps us learn and grow. So, what's going to get you out of that comfort zone?

Maybe you start with small baby steps and focus on getting on that merry-go-round first...
giphy

Or maybe you gather your courage and jump straight in line for the tallest roller-coaster!
tumblr_ml8z19mmCB1s86m4co1_500

Either way, you step out of that blanket fort and look around. You didn't know the amusement park was so big! There's so many rides you didn't notice before. As you walk away, you turn back and think how small and cramped that old blanket fort looks now....

Join us next week starting on Monday 11th March to chat about getting out of your comfort zone and why it is important to challenge yourself sometimes with a new question each day! Smiley Very Happy

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

@Hozzles  Yaaaaaaaay this looks amazing! I'm beyond excited about this one! Heart It's definitely a topic I need to apply to my life  Smiley LOL But who doesn't at times? 
This beautiful post got chewed up by our over-enthusiastic spam bot so i'll tag some peeps to let them know that it's up now so we can get this party started in anticipation of Monday!! Heart Smiley Very Happy 

running man party hard GIF

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

YAY @Hozzles ! 

This looks amazing! 

You did a great job! 

Love the gifs Smiley Happy 

Good morning everyone! It's Monday, so let's get this party started. Smiley Very Happy 

giphy.gif

Here's our first (related!) questions of the week:

1. Does getting out of your comfort zone always have to be extreme (like skydiving?) or can it be applied every day?

2. If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?

Let us know your thoughts! Smiley Happy

1. Does getting out of your comfort zone always have to be extreme (like skydiving?) or can it be applied every day?
No, it doesn't have to be as 'extreme' as skydiving, it can definitely be applied to every day activities or scenarios we might less comfortable in doing. But that doesn't mean it feels any less extreme! Take it from me, I've been both skydiving and bungee jumping yet I feel I get more of an adrenaline rush after raising my hand in class to answer a question. I've had sleepless nights worrying about meeting a new person for the first time. Seriously, I think my anxiety has messed up my perception of danger. Smiley LOL

2. If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?
I think some good advice would be to try something new every day. It can be big or small: whether it's going to a new place, ordering a different coffee than your usual, or signing up for a new club/ activity. If you're unsure about an event/ activity/ whatever is pushing you to the boundaries of your comfort zone, you could try journaling your thoughts or making a list of pros and cons. I also find that venting to someone is always helpful.

What a great topic this week!! 

A few years ago I drew myself this ven diagram after working through some anxiety to do a lot of new things that were way outside my comfort zone: 

image2.jpeg

It is so very true. You know that feeling before you go to a job interview, or before you go to the first class of a new hobby, or before you go to a party where you don't know anyone...? that feeling is you leaving your comfort zone. And all the magic happens once you do! 

Sure staying home like you do every other night is nice and safe, but putting yourself out there and trying something different is the only way life changes and improves.

Plus, when you look back over your year and reflect on the best moments - you are much more likely to remember fondly that one Tuesday you went to the art class, than the dozens of Tuesdays you stayed home and wanted Netflix. 

Extreme is a very subjective concept- for some people sky diving is their job, and well within their comfort zone. For others of us, going on a blind date, going to a market alone, meeting up with a friend for dinner.. or anything that we don't usually do, can feel extreme if it's outside our comfort zone. So no, the things don't have to be dramatic or particularity big events, but feeling terrified is probably a good sign that you're leaving your comfort zone. 

I think an important thing to remember is that not everything outside of our comfort zone is worth doing - its important that that thing aligns with your values, or that you have a hunch that something good could come of doing it - even if that something is really small, like having a good coffee, or learning that you dont like doing something ! 

Small every day things can be as small as saying good morning to people at work or uni, asking someone to sit with you at lunch, going to a new place, joining a library - anything that expands your life in some small way. 

Awesome work @Hozzles! That's amazing that you've been sky diving and bungee jumping - you must be very brave! And super interesting to be able to compare it to the more every day experiences that are outside of our comfort zones. Smiley Happy

@gina-ROI love the venn diagram - really highlights how important it is for us to keep pushing ourselves in order to grow.

As @gina-RO mentioned, 'extreme' is really subjective and the things some people consider extreme may be completely comfortable for others. I think there are so many 'every day' and sometimes even unavoidable things that are really far outside of our comfort zones. So yes I think it can definitely be applied to every day tasks.

2. If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?
Talking to people more - being the person to initiate conversations and say hello rather than waiting for others to do this, trying out something new that you've always wanted to do, doing things on your own that you would normally prefer to have someone with you, voicing your ideas in a group, work or classroom situation, and to say yes to opportunities when you are able to do so.

I love the idea that as we continue to push ourselves and grow, our comfort zone can expand. Things that we once saw as almost impossible can become much easier! Smiley Happy

@gina-RO I really like that Van-diagram! It speaks volumes and is so true!

2. If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?

Like Gina, @May_ I agree that extreme is subjective and very individual. There are certainly daily tasks that can push us outside of our comfort zones and things we can do to push ourselves to the edge and outside of our comfort zones in our daily life.
For me, I make it a regular point of initiating conversation with cashiers when I go shopping.
Recently with work in the slower less busy times, I make a point of engaging in conversation with my colleagues and getting to know them a bit better.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart