cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

Todays questions 🙂

1. Is there anything you regret not doing or trying because you were too far in your comfort zone?daria.gif
  2. What are some reasons you’re not stepping out of your comfort zone?security blanket.gif

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Getting out of your comfort zone and why it's important! 11-17 March

Sorry I am a bit late! Great answers so far!

1. Does getting out of your comfort zone always have to be extreme (like skydiving?) or can it be applied every day?

It can definitely be applied to every day things. I think trying anything that you normally wouldn't during your day is stepping outside your comfort zone. It may seem less extreme than skydiving but anything you do to step outside your comfort zone is a big deal!

2. If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?

Going to new places, talking to new people, even initiating more conversation with people you see everyday, taking on new tasks, putting your hand up in class.

Is there anything you regret not doing or trying because you were too far in your comfort zone?

For me, I have been thinking of applying for new jobs for agggges now but have continued to put it off because I am in too much of a bubble at my current job (which offers me no opportunity to grow). It makes me really anxious thinking about applications and interviews and then training for a new job that I just keep putting it off!

What are some reasons you’re not stepping out of your comfort zone?

It makes me really anxious thinking about applications and interviews and then training for a new job that I just keep putting it off! I am also super comfortable with my current job and the people I work with.

1. Does getting out of your comfort zone always have to be extreme? or can it be applied every day?

no i dont think it has to be extreme Smiley Happy @Hozzles i had to giggle at your example of having gone skydiving before yet you get more anxious raising your hand in class. I have done some adrenaline sorts of things but not that extreme yet i could barely raise my hand in class.
i think even the small things count too.

2. if it can be applied every day, what are some small daiy actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?
going somewhere new, going for a walk on your own (if thats not something your use to doing) try a different self care activity, perhaps try a new hobby, join in with an interest group..
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Is there anything you regret not doing or trying becasue you were to far into your comfort zone? what are some reasons your not stepping out of your comfort zone?

i regret not doing alot of things and still even though i regret them i cant bring myself to do much more than what im already doing. one reason would be because of what others would think, feeling selfish for doing something other than what im already doing, and a big one would be my anxiety. my anxiety still stop me from doing a heap of things.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Thought I would pop in and answer some GR questions, as I have been taking a break from the forums and am slowly getting back on. I must admit I have been missing GRs Smiley Happy

1. Does getting out of your comfort zone always have to be extreme (like skydiving?) or can it be applied every day?

For starters I will never skydive so if you see me jump out of plane it is not by choice haha! It can be little things like deciding to meet a friend you haven't seen a while for coffee or speaking up in class, you can also start small and then build up to extreme ones. Last year I was aiming to get out of my comfort with my end goal being volunteering at a week long event during Schoolies/Leavers (it's a safe space for teenagers to come and have fun) which was 2.5 hours away from home and would require me to work with people I had never met and do stuff which was way out of my comfort zone. So I started doing small things that were out of my comfort zone, I went to events where I only knew one other person, I made an effort during my prac placements to meet people and build relationships and I started asking myself 'why not?!' when I was given opportunities that I never would normally do. 

By the end of the year I not only did the event I had so much fun and made awesome relationships and learnt that I could get out of my comfort zone. But in order to do it I had to start small and that's something people should understand and accept, there's no point jumping in the deep end if you don't know how to swim.

2. If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?

So like I mentioned above I started doing little things like talking to people in class I didn't know that well or at prac joining in an art therapy class with people I didn't know. I wouldn't say that I have social anxiety but in some situations I feel overwhelmed and have no idea what to do so I stand there awkwardly, so when I went to events I made an effort to chat to people I didn't know and just focus on one step at a time. I think it helps to have a goal of something you want to do and work towards it and then have lots of little goals as stepping stones, but that's just the way I work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

1. Is there anything you regret not doing or trying because you were too far in your comfort zone?  I'm sure there is but I can't honestly think of anything at the moment. I think there are things that people think I regret not doing or trying because I was too far in my comfort zone, like surviving the week long Year 7 camp instead of going home after one night due to anxiety (looking at my mum here); but I can honestly say I don't regret not going for the whole week in that situation as my anxiety was so bad and I was miserable. 
  2. What are some reasons you’re not stepping out of your comfort zone?Anxiety lots of anxiety, but I am working on it and my psych says I have come a long way and I am proud of myself for what I have achieved. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Does getting out of your comfort zone always have to be extreme (like skydiving?) or can it be applied every day?
I believe getting out of your comfort can be as easy as devoting a few minutes to learning a new thing each day. I think everyone has their own 'comfort zone'. I swam with sharks but I found it a lot easier and less anxiety inducing than learning to drive, having interviews and public speaking.

If it can be applied every day, What are some small daily actions that we can take to step out of our comfort zone?
I think this depends on the situation and what your comfort zone is. I think it's useful to have a graded plan in order to build towards something new. For example, I had to learn physiotherapy exercises when I experienced some injuries and pain in my arms. Before physiotherapy, I would struggle to use my arms for long periods of time and carry things. The first few weeks were spent doing simple stretching exercises, then I moved onto more complex stretching exercises, then I learned how to use a resistance band, then I learned how to lift weights. Eventually, I was able to increase my tolerance and the quantity of the exercises and lift weights while exercising my legs at the same time. Now I can carry heavier items and use my arms all day. It was a real challenge getting out of the comfort zone of what I could tolerate but I'm glad I took small steps every day to increase my confidence and reach my goals. I also think it's useful to decide on a time every day to try new skills.

Is there anything you regret not doing or trying because you were too far in your comfort zone?
I don't really regret anything but there have been a lot of times I have missed out on opportunities due to not getting out of my comfort zone, such as not wanting to travel somewhere far on my own or do something in front of other people.

What are some reasons you’re not stepping out of your comfort zone?
I think it comes down to a lack of confidence and experience in trying new things. I also tend to think of the worst case scenarios and don't know how to prepare for them.

@gina-RO  - I love that diagram! I've seen similar diagrams, but most don't have the two circles touching. I find the venn-diagram version better because it suggests that our comfort zone is always changing and expanding the more we get out of it! Smiley Very Happy

@scared01 - Hahahah, it's true! I guess it helps that doing 'extreme' things has immediate relief (phew, I survived!) rather than allowing me to keep second-guessing what I said. 

@WheresMySquishy - oh wow, the learning to drive thing, too! The last time I've had a lesson was three years ago. And yet a few months ago I jumped off a bridge (for bungee jumping). Really made me think there, ahah.

You guys also made me think about how we all have different thresholds for 'extreme' -- constantly I run into people who try to be comforting and well meaning by saying things like 'oh, don't worry! It's easy!' or 'just do it, I can do it!'. In the future it might be helpful to remind them that their comfort zones may be different to mine. 

1. Is there anything you regret not doing or trying because you were too far in your comfort zone?
I don't really like regretting anything, but there's a lot I could have done differently. What immediately comes to mind is my Studio Arts Year 12 project, I was planning to go absolutely wild with it and implement bizarre forms e.g. using doors and mirrors in my presentation. I didn't want to be too outlandish or made fun of in my class, so I stuck to regular photography. Year 12 was one of my most painful years but I'd go back just so I could go more wild in Studio Art. Smiley Wink
Other things include not going to university events or avoiding any attempts to make new friends. 

2. What are some reasons you’re not stepping out of your comfort zone?
Fear of failure is a huge one. Also fear of embarrassment/rejection. Basically, just anxiety ahah.

Love everyone's answers so far - such an interesting topic to think about and challenge ourselves on. 

Am going to quickly get in on the questions from yesterday! 

1. Is there anything you regret not doing or trying because you were too far in your comfort zone?

I agree with you @Hozzles  that I don't like to regret things! There are certainly times I missed out on going to things and wished I had gone-  but those experiences are all learnings for next time. I've learnt from the times I've missed out on opportunities for travel, study, work or social events to build the confidence to just do it next time! It's all a part of life. 

I've had plenty of times that I have very nearly stayed home and missed things, but decided to go last minute, and had a great experience. 

2. What are some reasons you’re not stepping out of your comfort zone?
I think anxiety about what could go wrong is a big reason to stay in the comfort zone.  Another thing is just feeling really comfortable and happy within the comfort zone! Sometimes staying in the comfort zone is a-okay - for example, when you're sick or rundown, or need to recooperate - comfort zones are really helpful! 

But I think stepping outside of the comfort zone on a regular basis is what's important - dipping a toe out of the comfort zone every day, and maybe a full body out and about of the zone once a week could be a good guide for example!

It's so true @Hozzles  that our comfort zones are always shifting and expanding!

Hey everyone! New day, new questions! 

giphy

1. Is taking baby steps more useful than diving straight into it? Why/ why not? 

2. What are some strategies that can make getting out of your comfort zone less painful?