cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] Growing Up

What sort of things do you associate with adulthood?

Bills, money, jobs, taxes, shopping and cooking. I guess any responsibilities you can’t do when your under the age of 18.

These are some amazing responses so far! Adulthood can be quite a journey. So this is a bit late, but without further ado, here is today's question!

How can we deal with the pressure to have everything "figured out"?

relatable grown up GIF

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Paying the damn taxes! Ha nah jokes. Mainly just responsibility in general but yes, having to pay everything you need/want yourself. Let me tell ya, being an adult ain't cheap! 

EDIT: I just find it so funny that everyone associates paying taxes with adulthood. 

Interesting question, I'm not too sure actually. I can't afford to 'break down' otherwise I'd be behind all my bills and stuff and I rather not be homeless ha. 

Highlighted

@LeoTheLion like the old saying goes: nothing is certain except death and taxes Smiley Tongue

I think just reminding ourselves of the fact that nobody truly has it all figured out. There's no class in school that teaches you how to be an adult (though there should be!) and so we're all just doing the best we can Smiley Happy

Also guess what? It's time for another question! I really like this one Smiley Happy

Regardless of how old we are, we can all use people who look up to... who are some of your role models?

Hate Gonna GIF

@lokifish I really like this question - it's so true that no matter how old we are we all need role models to look up to! 

Some of my role models include - my parents, who are great adults and great at making me feel better about being an "adult" while also giving me advice when I feel a bit lost! 

I also look up to a lot of my friends in different ways- there are different friends I would go about different things. 

I also look up to some people that I have never met - public figures, authors etc - I'm a big podcast fan, and I like listening to the wisdom and insights of others on podcasts, as well as reading them in books. 

I think it's important to seek out people that you admire, and that have traits that you want to develop in yourself, and learn from them! Spending time with people older and/ or wiser is invaluable in helping us along the growing up journey. 

Also kind of related because Beyonce is definitely an inspiration in many ways, but also just my fav music video that comes to mind when I think of growing up - I love at the end of the clip how she is sitting in a throne with her mum, and her daughter! 
Image result for grown woman gif

I find your point, @LeoTheLion, about not being able to afford to 'break down' a really good one, and it's certainly something I've related to.

Once you're an adult you're responsible for yourself, and you end up making commitments to things. You commit to your job, and to pay the bills, and to provide food for yourself, and everything else that you choose to or not to do. I break down as a kid, I don't go to school, and that's about the worst that I do. There are a bunch of people to pick up my slack, or who already have the responsibility of everything else, or are there to pick me up and put me on a track.

Have any other adults dealt with this feeling?

As for the actual questions,

I am an adult.

sad spongebob gif GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I don't particularly like or dislike it. I feel more in charge of my life this way, and it's actually nice how some things (like getting a drink) don't have that element of criminality to them. But then, I am so in charge of my life that everything feels up to me. 

Really though, there are only two things I dislike:

1. I have to pay for things now

2. I keep getting older Smiley Sad 

Even though I've been legally an adult for a long time, I don't really associate myself with the things I associate adulthood with. In my mind that's all mortgages and full-time work and having a family where you're the parent. 

If I think more strictly 18+, it's all of the being responsible for yourself and your choices stuff that have been touched on a lot. 

Swimming GIF

I love the gif @Birdeye attached

Swimming GIF

For me, I have regular sessions with my psychologist and a job search agency which usually keep me good with dealing with the pressures of adulthood. I also try to remind myself that it is okay not to have everything figured out. I have my whole life to have shit together, and right now I'm doing my best and progressing in the direction I want to. And I guess the important thing to remember is that different people want different things in life, so while one person may have everything they want in life, others may be working towards it, and it's also important to remember that each individual has different time frames, eg my friend had a baby at 20, where as for me, I wasn't ready (nor in a relationship) to bring a baby into the world. And while this is something I do want in life, it's also important for me to recognize that the timing isn't now. Smiley Happy

Regardless of how old we are, we can all use people who look up to... who are some of your role models?

I've had different role models for different times in my life. I think some artists have been in my mind for a while and their work inspires me and helps me feel loved and okay.

I've had teachers, counsellors, job search people, peers, colleagues, friends act as role models at different times in my life. And it's kind of bitter sweet because it's bits and pieces here and there, and part of me just wants that stable role model who I can converse with and rely on for advice.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey everyone! The questions are amazing so far! Unfortunately, it's now the weekend which means it's time to wrap up the GR. Naturally, you can still answer questions all weekend, or make your own thread on the topic Smiley Happy 

Without further ado, the final question!

What is one thing you'll take away from this chat for the future?

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!