cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[SLOW-MO GR] Loneliness

Hello Everyone,
Loneliness can affect anyone and can be rather tricky to deal with. Some people can even experience loneliness while in the company of others.

charlie brown peanuts GIF

But even if you're feeling lonely, there are some things you can do to help. ReachOut has an awesome article over here if you're interested in some ideas. There's always someone out there who cares, and there's always things we can do if you or someone you know is feeling lonely Smiley Happy

Come and join us for a chat about loneliness starting on Monday 30th June with a new question each day!

charlie brown hug GIF

New to the forums? Say hello over here with a range of quirky questions!

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] Loneliness

Hello all and welcome to our second Slow-Mo Getting Real all about loneliness! Like with our NAIDOC Week chat, we'll be posting one question every day until the weekend, learn here if you want to know more Smiley Happy

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

The first question of the week: 

What does loneliness mean to you? Have you experienced it before?

Remember to check the above post for links to helplines or make a thread over here if you feel distressed at all during this chat Smiley Happy

Hey everyone! Should be an interesting chat (if you join in then you hopefully won't feel as lonely! Smiley Wink)

To me, loneliness is that empty, gnawing feeling inside of you. We're social creatures and need social connectedness to survive, so I think loneliness is an evolutionary thing to make sure we seek out other people.

I've absolutely experienced it before - both when I'm actually alone and also the "alone in a crowded room" phenomenon. I think everyone feels lonely at times, BUT there's absolutely things we can do to help deal with it, and there are always people out there who care. The forum community here is amazing at helping me deal with all them lonely feels Heart

I honestly wonder who hasn't experienced loneliness before. Like there must be at least one instance where people have experience loneliness. I feel like it's a feeling that's nearly impossible to escape, like it's part of life itself so I guess that's what I think loneliness means. Loneliness is the empty feeling you get in your heart or stomach. And when you think about it you realise you don't have any friends or that you're not actually close with anyone you talk to. 

For me, loneliness is a negative feeling relating to lack of connection to another human being. What connection is to one person could be different to another.

I have definitely experienced it before many times, and can definitely relate to feeling lonely “in a crowded room”. In my experience, I have found that lack of empathy/sympathy can also generate a feeling of loneliness. That’s why I love being a part of RO, as so many people can understand what I’m going through, and I can really have that experience of connecting to other people on the level that I need.

Loneliness to me is when you can’t get out of bed because there is this heavy feeling, and you don’t have any motivation of what to do that day. 

I think also you generally feel sad, and isolated, which is also kind of a heavy feeling. 

I’ve been feeling it mostly this year because I’ve been looking for work as a side for university, therefore I have had a lot of time on my hands. Unfortunately due to my disability and health I have been really unlucky with finding jobs, as well as doing trials and not getting paid even though it’s law that you ALWAYS get paid for trials no matter what.  

Next year I’ll be going to university full time just so I can keep myself busy as well as meet new people etc 

Those are some excellent points that you've all brought up. I love all your answers @lokifish @LeoTheLion @mrmusic @keezeik!!

It's now time for question two:

How can loneliness affect people? How does it affect you?

I think everyone's touched on a few ways already - it affects our friendships, our ability to work/study effectively, and our general day to day functioning. It can lead to feeling like we're not understood and don't belong anywhere. We all need empathy, like @mrmusic mentioned, and if we're not receiving it then it can just make us feeling worse, which makes people less likely to enjoy being around us. Talk about a vicious circle!

I'm curious to hear everyone else's responses - while we all experience loneliness, it may be that we experience it in slightly different ways? Let us know Smiley Happy Heart

Like @lokifish said, I think loneliness can affect people in different ways. There are people who don’t look like they are alone on the outside, but on the inside they feel very much alone. I heard of this YouTube video which apparently interviewed some celebrities on loneliness, and how success has contributed to their loneliness in some way. loneliness for me i guess would be little interaction with other people
Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 178 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors