cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[SLOW-MO GR] NAIDOC Week

Next week will be our very first Slow-Mo GR of this year! *cheering* If you're not sure what a Slow-Mo GR is, or want to know how it is going to be run, check out this thread here for all the info Smiley Happy

Next week, from the 8th to the 15th of July, is NAIDOC Week, which is all about celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, histories and achievements. NAIDOC stands for National Aborigines and Islander Day Observance Committee, the committee were the people who first started this week and now share it's name. If you'd like to learn more about it, check out this website here for some great information and resources. The theme for NAIDOC Week this year is:

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women play an important role in history, culture and society. This NAIDOC Week is all about celebrating their wonderful achievements and all that they have accomplished throughout history. To read more about this theme, check out this site here. It has a great way of summarising the theme of this week:

Their achievements, their voice, their unwavering passion give us strength and have empowered past generations and paved the way for generations to come.

So join us next week starting Monday 9th July for new questions every day.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] NAIDOC Week

Today (well technically yesterday) is the start of NAIDOC Week! Australia has a deep history and culture and NAIDOC Week is a time for us to celebrate many of the fantastic and wonderful things those in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities have done. 

Our first question of the week is: What do you know about NAIDOC Week? Will you be attending any events?

A great way of getting started is learning about the land we live on. ReachOut's headquarters in Sydney sit on the land of the Eora people (using this map here). Having this knowledge can help us be respectful.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hullo Smiley Happy I'm excited for Slow-Mo Getting Reals!

What do you know about NAIDOC Week? Will you be attending any events?

What I currently know about NAIDOC Week is pretty much what @N1ghtW1ng said in the first paragraph of the previous post.. so not much.. but thank you for the website link, I will learn more about it and see what events are happening nearby Smiley Happy

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

What do you know about NAIDOC Week? Will you be attending any events?

Like @cupcakes_032, I only have a very limited knowledge about NAIDOC Week, apart from the fact that there is an award ceremony which recognises a number of different categories/people. Unfortunately my family’s attitude towards Australian Indigenous culture and people leaves a lot to be desired... As for attending events, probably not, only  because of other commitments and the fact I don’t handle crowds really well. Would be interesting to do though.

hi everyone!

What do you know about NAIDOC week? Will you be attending any events?

Hello all. NAIDOC week from my understanding is about celebrating achievements and learning about the history of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander people.  

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because your WORTH it!**

@cupcakes_032 I'm excited too! Smiley Very Happy Have you had a look into any events? Hopefully the link was helpful to you Smiley Happy

@mrmusic haha yeah I agree crowds can be tough, although I didn't know about the awards ceremony! That sounds cool Smiley Happy Are there any events you would like to attend?

@scared01 that's awesome Smiley Happy Have you ever done anything for NAIDOC week before?

Thank you all for posting! I can't wait for the rest of the week Smiley Happy

when i was in school we celebrated every year @N1ghtW1ng each day was different stories like dreamtime stories, acitivities like boomerang painting, flag making and also the school i had a garden with native type plants. we would usually have one or 2 guest speakers come through the week as well
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because your WORTH it!**

That’s awesome @scared01, its great that you had that experience. Smiley Happy

So honesty is key and honestly, I don't know much about NAIDOC. I haven't heard about NAIDOC before the GR slow chat was being organised. I guess this just shows how much this event/week doesn't get recognised. This is from the website: it's a week of celebrations of history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. 

I am anti-social person and I don't go out much so unfortunately that does mean I won't be participating in any of the activities however I am very much looking forward to learning more about NAIDOC!

Hey @N1ghtW1ng,

Yeah I found a couple of events nearby Smiley Happy i'm travelling interstate at the moment and just arrived at the destination, so i don't think I'll be able to make the panel discussion today as we're checking in then. But tomorrow there's a family friendly event which I will bring up with the others and hopefully we'll go see it! 

Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here to start a topic

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 2 members 323 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors