cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] NAIDOC Week

There are plenty of amazing inspirational people out there for sure. Today is all about the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, athletes, musicians, authors and more in our community. 

As a starting point, here are some amazing artists that recently feature in Melbourne. Along with Australian indigenous musicians and a huge list of athletes and more

The question of today: Who is your favourite Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander creator? Why?

To kick us off, here is a fantastic video featuring an amazing singer Smiley Very Happy

Loving the discussion so far!

In addition to Cathy Freeman, there's also Evonne Goolagong-Cawley. Although most of us will be too young to remember her in her playing days, she's a former World #1 tennis legend and has been inducted into the Hall of Fame, in addition to being awarded the Order of Australia earlier this year (a really big deal!)

The AIME video, such a nice interview. Shame it was so short. What caught of eye, or rather my ears was that there was a lot of people doubting her and her ability to go on to further education. In the video it doesn't say specific whether it was strangers doubting or it was her own community. Either way it's sad to hear people doubting other people's ability just based on their skin colour or culture. Everyone is capable of achieving realistic goals. 

Some amazing responses so far! Thank you for joining in and if you haven't yet, that's okay! Feel free to jump in whenever you feel like it, even if it's just to say hello Smiley Happy

The ABC interviewed three amazing women earlier this week answering some questions that may be a bit awkward or embarrassing to ask (much like the series "You Can't Ask That!") These women, Nala Mansell, Ruth Langford and Emma Shanahan share some of their experiences as Aboriginal women in Australia. 

You can listen to the interview through this link here if you're interested. 

Today's question: What is something you would like to know about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture or history in Australia? How can you learn more?

and if you listened to the interview: Did any of the answers in the interview surprise you?

Woah what a great turn out for this slow-mo! Absolutely loving it everyone! Smiley Very Happy

I'm sorry I've been absent I've been sick and only just now feeling like I can read through it and have uninterrupted time!

What do you know about NAIDOC week? Will you be attending any events?

I knew NAIDOC was about celebrating the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres-Strait Islander People

Have others heard of AIME before?

@gina-RO I hadn't heart of AIME before, but I really love the idea! Smiley Happy I think is should be available in all schools/unis!

What do you know about NAIDOC Week? Will you be attending any events?

I don't think my town did anything for NAIDOC, But I've been sick and a recluse so I have no idea..

Inspirational people are all around us. Do you know an inspirational Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander woman? Why?

I'm not particularly sure of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Women that ring a bell at the moment, but two teachers from my high school come to mind. (One I think may have been Torres Straight Islander) They both had such drive and encouragement for the cultures and bringing them into the school community, they organised for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders girls to perform at school events and such and it was always really nice watching their dances ad they were so true to their culture Smiley Happy

Who is your favourite Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander creator? Why?

Oh man that is a tough one. I really liked the song that @N1ghtW1ng linked! That is amazing! I'm embarrassed to say I don't know any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artists off the top of my head

What is something you would like to know about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture or history in Australia? How can you learn more?

There is so much I don't know! However I would like to learn more about general culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture. I feel like it is often over looked despite the history.

We can learn more by asking those who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, we can read books, listen to music and watch movies Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Heya everyone! Thank you to everyone who has participated in this GR this week including @cupcakes_032 @mrmusic @scared01 @LeoTheLion @gina-RO @ErinsAntics @letitgo @lokifish and @Bee!

Today is the final question of this week, spanning both today and Sunday! Smiley Happy 

What is one thing you have learned about NAIDOC Week and Australia's Indigenous community? 

If you haven't answered any of the questions yet, jump on in and answer whatever you feel like, we'd love to hear from you! Smiley Very Happy

sorry im very slow!

Do you know an inspirational Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander woman? Why?

the only person i really know of is cathy freeman. i still think is she pretty amazing though, shes very determined and never gave up until she succeeded.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Who is your favourite Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander creator? Why?

hmm im rather embarrassed to say but im not really aware of any creators but would be good to learn some more

What is something you would like to know about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture or history in Australia? How can you learn more?

i dont really know much except for what we learn in school like some dreamtime stories, how they lived before settler came, and also some of their native foods as well. so wouldnt mind learning about anything really. i think something that interests me the most is how they use and make medicinal things and they would/do treat illness, injuries etc

Heya everyone! Sorry this is a little late, thank you to everyone who joined in this chat for NAIDOC Week! It was wonderful chatting to you all about some of the amazing achievements, culture and history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples Smiley Happy

@cupcakes_032 @mrmusic @scared01 @LeoTheLion @gina-RO @ErinsAntics @letitgo @lokifish and @Bee!
I hope you all had fun too!

Don't forget to check out our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander space at this link below to continue this conversation! Smiley Very Happy
https://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Hanging-out/ATSI-Gathering-Place/td-p/250770/