cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [SLOW-MO GR] - Sharing your story and why it's powerful! 13th - 19th May

Has somebody ever shared part of their story with you? What was it like?

How does finding out someone has a similar story to you make you feel?

I had a friend share a significant trauma she had been through with me after about 1.5 years of knowing her. It wasn't a conversation specifically devoted to that but she just mentioned 'I don't know if I've ever told you this' and opened up. Instantly, I felt closer to her. I wanted to let her know that I would always be there for her and lift her up through her experience. After that, we have been open about everything in our lives and we even live together which means that our home now for both of us in the perfect safe space. 

Being able to connect with someone who has a similar story to me just makes me feel less crap and more secure in how I'm feeling. I know that I have support and love from them, I use them as a guide for bad days because I know that they're going through it too. As someone aiming to work professionally in the mental health field, it feels like a small victory to have people sharing their story, breaking down walls around stigma and engaging in conversations that need to be more open. 

Has somebody ever shared part of their story with you? What was it like?

How does finding out someone has a similar story to you make you feel?
A lot of people have confided in me over the years. I think these experiences have been positive overall and made us closer. I feel that some people in my life have been more able to find solutions to problems when they've reached out for support and we've been able to talk through the issues together rather than bottling up their emotions. Sometimes it can be stressful to know that my loved ones and friends have been hurting or going through a difficult time though. I think that someone sharing part of their story with me shows that they trust me and think that I'm a loyal confidant or friend. That makes me feel proud of my positive qualities.

Knowing that I'm not alone and that other people have gone through similar things has validated my feelings and made me feel a lot better when I'm feeling down. It's not that I want people to go through bad experiences but I feel that empathy can be really helpful, especially because feelings of isolation can be physically painful. I think people can sometimes be more equipped to listen to and help others when they've gone through similar experiences themselves.

@WheresMySquishy and @lennycat2017 that's really lovely that connecting this way with people you care about has brought you closer and helped build trust Heart

romantic i love you GIF by Mia Page

Next question!

Have you connected with someone after sharing your story?  

If you have shared your story, what advice would you give to someone who is wanting to share theirs?

I think we've shared a bit about the first question but i'm interested to hear what people say about the second Smiley Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live Getting Real chat to do with Self-positivity, on Monday the 21st of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Have you connected with someone after sharing your story?  

Recently, I participated in Laps for Life to fundraise for ReachOut, and as part of this, I shared my struggles with OCD, depression and suicide with all my family, friends and Facebook and Instagram followers. A lot of these people had no idea that I even struggle with mental illnesses, let alone severely. This experience connected me with a lot of people from my past who expressed that I had been a good friend to them, and that they would gladly allow me to lean on them now. In addition, it has made me more connected to my family, who got behind me and made a real effort to educate themselves on OCD so they could spread my story accurately and appropriately.

Recently, one of my biggest connections has been with people sharing their stories with me as a result of my own openness. One of my ex-teachers opened up to me about her OCD diagnosis, and one of my ex-coworkers told me about her brother's OCD, and we discussed how she could support him through his struggles. 

If you have shared your story, what advice would you give to someone who is wanting to share theirs?

My advice is to share your story in as much detail as you can cope with. For me, I took a lot of strength and power from sharing my story with as many people as possible, because I find it gratifying to know I can help others. However, for some people, it is easier to only tell a few people at a time. When I first started experiencing OCD, the only person I told was my Mum, and that was enough for me at that time. There is no obligation to share your story with the whole world. It doesn't make it a shameful secret to keep your personal life private. Just share as much as you are comfortable with.

With that being said, don't be afraid to be brave. Your story is a source of strength, beauty, and courage. If you feel that it is something you want to spread, then go for it! So long as you are sharing your story for the right reasons (to help others, to gain a sense of closure and strength from your past, to connect with others and allow them to know you more deeply), it should ideally be a positive and productive experience. 

Last one for the week guys! Heart

the office party hard GIF

What does sharing your story mean to you?

Huge thank you to everyone who's shared in this GR, you're all so wonderful Heart (tbh, everyone on RO is Smiley Tongue)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live Getting Real chat to do with Self-positivity, on Monday the 21st of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

What does sharing your story mean to you?
I think sharing my story empowers me, gives me a voice and allows me to help others, perhaps even encouraging them to tell their own. I feel proud of myself whenever I tell people my story. It has also taught me that good things can come out of having bad experiences. Sometimes it can also be a relief to get something off my chest. Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy that's so awesome that sharing your story is relieving and empowering for you Heart Going through really hard times and using your experiences to help others is so brave and so so  inspiring Heart This really comes through in your responses here on RO, you're always so compassionate xx

@queenP  such an amazing point! 
It's so powerful to share your experiences with others, no matter whether it's to get help or to inspire others to do so. But you're also so right that there's nothing wrong with keeping your personal life personal! It's what feels right for you, and you don't have to justify yourself to anyone Heart 

Thanks @ecla34! Your comment really meant a lot to me Heart