cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SLOW-MO GR: Stereotypes and Discrimination, 9th-13th Seotermber

Please feel free to join in you guys! Would love to hear your thoughts! Heart

Super good point @Tiny_leaf about making sure it's safe for you to do so before challenging people about their prejudices Heart Especially when they're directed towards you
My go to is also to try to get people to think about what they're saying. Sometimes i'll just be pretty direct about it and tell someone that they're just stereotyping, but it's harder/easier in different scenarios. It's a bit trickier to have a civil and productive conversation in different situations, like at work. I feel like people are more likely to ignore what you have to say there too unfortunately or brush you off . Smiley Sad  Which is pretty frustrating

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Here's the next round of questions for today! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Is it possible to accidentally stereotype or discriminate against people? If so, what are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from doing this?

This is such an important question! It's really crucial to recognise when we're stereotyping people  (I think most people do at some stage or another in their life, even if they don't like to admit it, we're all human), because otherwise we can't learn and grow past it Heart

What do you guys think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Hey @ecla34, this is a pretty great topic!

In my experience, yes, I think it's completely possible. 

People's general opinion around us (family, friends, school/work mates) can shape our opinion in something we aren't very experienced in and so, we believe the opinions of those people, while being able slightly skeptical. However, I think it's easy for others' opinions to get in the way of our own. As you said ecla, it's safe to assume that everyone does it at some point in their life. 

I think boundaries need to be set in one's mind however. If someone is stating something about someone else or a group of people how do you know if its fact or opinion? Stereotypes and of course discrimination can be very dangerous to other people. I think exposure to people/things you're not sure of can really affirm whether you think your opinions about someone is true or not. 

Anyway, that's all from me I think Smiley Happy

Hello Everyone!

Sorry I'm late to this but I though I'd add a bit to the most recent question

Is it possible to accidentally stereotype or discriminate against people? If so, what are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from doing this?

It is definitely possible to accidentally stereotype or discriminate against people. I think it is important to being really open to that fact that you will likely get it wrong and listen to others' feedback. People don't want to be stereotypical or discriminate so it is easy to become defensive or angry if something you said is pointed out. However, (even though it can be really hard to do) admitting that you are wrong is usually the quickest way to do better. 

I honestly think if I someone is called out on being discriminate that the best response they could have is: "I'm sorry you are right, what do you think I could say instead/ do to be better next time?"

I try remind myself it is ok to make a mistake if you use it to learn and in the end treat people better (even though it can be so hard to admit you were accidentally discriminate in the first place)

@ecla34  I agree with you completely. I was once told by some employers I worked with for a short time that I must have got high marks in uni because I was autistic (despite the fact that I do not meet the criteria for a diagnosis or the tests that are commonly used to diagnose it, and they also barely knew me and had no way of proving whether or not I was actually autistic). In my experience, that stereotype is untrue because there is a lot of variation in academic ability amongst the autistic people I have encountered. It also ignored the huge amount of effort and hard work I went through to get those marks. I don't consider myself a smart person, but I have always been someone who studies hard. I would put so much effort into my work that I got repetitive strain injuries and would usually study for 45 hours a week. In my final year of uni, I only took one day off in the entire academic year and studied all throughout the holidays. I remember how happy I felt when I received my results because I actually had a really hard time throughout my final year and didn't expect to get such a high mark.The marks I got weren't anything unachievable by an average or neurotypical person. In fact, there were people in my cohort who got better marks than me. But saying that to me really put a dent in my confidence and made me question the way people saw me. It also made me feel like I should be less proud of and less happy with my achievements because they must have been 'easy' for me to obtain.

What are some things we can do to combat stereotypes in our everyday lives?
I agree with @Tiny_leaf. You can challenge someone in a non-confrontational way if you feel strongly about it and it is safe to do so.
Another way we can do to raise awareness of and combat stereotypes is through expressive mediums like films, campaigns, artwork and writing. You could make a creative work intended to challenge people's perceptions for example.
Having a role model from your particular group and celebrating them can also really help combat the negative effects of stereotypes. It could be someone you know, a fictional character, a historical figure or a celebrity.

I think this is possible because sometimes it can be hard to put ourselves in someone's head and judge whether or not they are offended by something we say or do. I also think that a lot of stereotypes are learned in childhood and automatically come to mind, such as through implicit associations.
It's easier to recall a stereotype than something that would challenge it because brains seem to like using 'mental shortcuts'. It can also be hard to change a stereotype we have come to know, especially if we haven't seen anyone who acts differently from the stereotype. Sometimes, it can also be difficult for us to realise whether something is true or whether it is a stereotype. 
Something we can do to prevent ourselves from doing this is carefully considering what we want to say before we say it. We could try taking the other person's perspective and imagining how they would feel about it.
We can also broaden our perspectives by meeting new people and educating ourselves about stereotypes. We could try thinking of people who do not fit the stereotype, or other possible explanations behind a person's behaviour that do not involve the use of stereotypes. Another thing that might help is to pay more attention to other aspects of a person rather than focusing on a stereotype. They could have a lot more in common with you than you initially realise and make a lot of positive contributions to society. But when we think of people as being 'lesser' than us or 'not like us', we tend to think of them in a stereotypical manner.

I totally forgot this was running. I don't have time to read through tonight but will be back tomorrow for sure
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Is it possible to accidentally stereotype or discriminate against people? 

Hmm... imagine the captain of a ship.

Chances are that unless you personally know (and thought of) a specific person who happens to be the captain of a ship, you're basing that image on a stereotype. 

(personally I think of someone who has a striking similarity to Captain Haddock Smiley Tongue)

Image result for tintin captain haddock

Stereotypes are a very common thing. Like @WheresMySquishy said, brains just really like shortcuts.

I notice this a lot because some of my differences can be hard to notice at first.

For example, when I mention that I'm autistic, 90% of people start speaking more slowly and simply, or ignore me and start speaking more over me to my parents. (they also start sharing stories of their friend's cousin's grandma's house sitter's autistic kid, with their eyes full of pity)

In almost the exact opposite of what @WheresMySquishy described, the normal or slightly above average stuff I do becomes "amazing" and "inspiring". Rather than my skills and efforts being acknowledged for what they actually are, and what I've actually achieved, they get turned into a mini-narrative of me somehow "overcoming" or "making up for" my autism.

I get to watch this behavior change, and none of the people who do this are actually bad people, and none of them are trying to stereotype me. But they still do.

And I think it'd be pretty naive of me to assume that I'm somehow immune from doing the same thing to other people.

If so, what are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from doing this?

Basically, learn. Stereotypes are often just brains trying to fill in gaps in your knowledge. 

Listen to people with different views and experiences, (and respect that they know themselves better than you, and better than whatever a recent study says about them).

Watch shows like ABCs "You Can't Ask That". Read, watch and listen to #OwnVoices stuff.

And learn to identify stereotypes. Question where your assumptions and knowledge come from.

Happy Friday everyone! Smiley Happy

Here are the final questions:

How can you help someone who is experiencing discrimination?
What avenues of support are available to you if you experience discrimination?

Highlighted

Loving this GR, this is something I am really passionate about, it is a major focus of my social and professional life. 

Here are my answers

Are stereotypes necessarily true? Can you think of a time where your expectations about a particular group of people were subverted? 

I think that this happens all the time, I can often assume things even though I try to be aware of any bias and check myself . I love when someone points that out to me

KNOWLEDGE IS EVERYTHING Heart

Why can stereotyping be so harmful? 

It means that we stop seeing people for who they are, all of the parts of them, it often can make people feel isolated and less worthy. I have experienced this first hand so I try to be really aware if I am doing this to someone else.

What are some things we can do to combat stereotypes in our everyday lives? 

I try to understand other peoples perspectives and if they aren't in the room and I can hear stereotyping I try to be their voice. It's not for everyone but I call people out and encourage a good discussion about how they are formed these stereotypes

Yes for sure, like I said before, I find that this sometimes happens, the best thing I have found is being really curious to understand as much about other people, their experiences, beliefs etc, so that I don't fall into this trap. I also think to myself how would I feel if someone said that to me.

I have supported a number of people who have experienced discrimination, myself included. I make sure they know that someone has their back and that I am there for whatever they need, if they need me to speak up for them, or to listen or to support them, I am there.

I've found that experiencing discrimination can really lower someone's confidence, so it can help to remind them of their worth. You could remind them that stereotypes don't define them as a person and talk about all of their positive traits. It's important to validate their experience and ask how they would want to handle it. If they want to take action, you could ask them if there is anything you could do to help.
I found this article on the ReachOut website really helpful in giving suggestions about how to support someone too. Smiley Happy

In some states, there is an anti-discrimination board which can help mediate and try to resolve situations where you feel as though you've been discriminated against in areas of employment, services, education, accommodation and registered clubs.
You can also look at the Australian Human Rights Commission's website for information about your rights and possibly lodge a complaint if you experience discrimination in employment or online.
Cyberbullying and offensive online content can also be reported through the Office of the eSafety Commissioner.
If you are discriminated against at work, there might be a HR department which might be able to help resolve it.
Family and friends can also be good supports. Smiley Happy