cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Schools OUT & Schoolies is IN

Finishing or leaving school is a milstone for most of us, so why not celebrate right?

Throughout year 12 ‘schoolies’ is a prominent topic for discussion and planning among many

young people and older people for that matter (like our worried parents, the authorities, business

owners etc). Usually when we think of schoolies we think of partying, drinking, staying up all night,

a week where 7 days blends into a blur, sexually active teenagers, and the list goes on. The changing

nature of the ‘celebration culture’ in Australia and around the world could be the key to this

controversial word sparking so much attention.

This has generated mass organisation to be carried out by schoolies.com and organisations like red frogs, to ensure people have a fun yet safe time at

schoolies. Partying is seen as the popular way for school leavers to celebrate. Although this is widely

generalised, because people experience schoolies in a variety of ways.

What do you plan on doing when schools out? Or what did you do to celebrate?

I never attended schoolies…unlike most of my grade and friends. Back then my decision got some

interesting reactions, mainly by those who believed it was an essential requirement in the year 12

curriculum. Schoolies was like another subject people selected to study. I guess I was someone who

did not think it was the most important thing surrounding year 12 or life after school for that matter.

I witnessed disagreements among friendship groups and excessive $$ saved for this controversial

event. But I have also heard some awesome stories from people who have been to schoolies. My

schoolies experience was very low key compared to ones I have heard about and seen flashed across

our TVs throughout schoolies week. And this is what I was talking about that schoolies does not

nescessarily mean partying. Instead I went on a week holiday with my boyfriend at the time. So yes

I did celebrate & let my hair down. But 5 years later I look back and do not regret my decision of

avoiding the ‘popular’ version of schoolies. Not.one.bit.actually!

It seems because schoolies is often portrayed in a negative manner. It is not talked about enough

with young people, especially with a mentality of ‘what happens on schoolies stays on schoolies’.

Because of this we we want to hear your views, your plans and experiences surrounding ‘schoolies’.

safe environment is totally IN now schools OUT.

So please join us Monday 18th November 2013 at 8PM EST – because talking about schoolies in a safe environment is totally IN now schools OUT.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Schools OUT & Schoolies is IN

Hi all !

Welcome to tonight's discussion all about SCHOOLIES! woop woop

With exams finishing up for most people celebrations are all in order.

For many year 12 students Schoolies will be a major event this year.

Staying safe, having fun and planning a great time will all be discussed tonight.

I'll be co-facilitating with lealea07 & Sophie-RO.

Of course normal rules apply - check out the guidelines here and if anything upsets you tonight remember there is the emergency help button up the top right of the screen. 

Let's get this party started hahahahah ...

What are you planning on doing to celebrate leaving school?

Or what did you do to celebrate when leaving school?

Hi everyone! Looking forward to the conversation tonight Smiley Happy

Hi DD!!

Here is the first Q to kick us off!

1. What are you planning on doing to celebrate leaving school? Or what did you do to celebrate when leaving school?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey guys!

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real Session on schoolies.

Some of us choose to celebrate once we finish school. How we celebrate varies. So tonight, we will be talking about how people celebrate, in relation to what people are planning or what they planned when finishing school. We would love to hear about the rules or plans you have made to make your experience a fun and safe one. So it is all about discussing the negatives and positives that surround what we often refer to as the schoolies hype!

Please make sure that the discussion tonight is within the guidelines, as always and if you need to talk to someone one on one, click the 'emergency help & info' link up the top right of your page.

So to get us started  

1. What are you planning on doing to celebrate leaving school? Or what did you do to celebrate when leaving school?

All of us facilitators are just so excited about tonight we all posted the question.

Because I am super keen I thought I may as well answer it too...

well I have already finished school - about 5 years ago now. I didn't go to schoolies, I had every opportunity to but chose not to go. Instead I went on a holiday that was much more low key. I still had a great time and it was much cheaper.

Hello humans, I hope you are all swell this fine evening Smiley Happy

What are you planning on doing to celebrate leaving school? Or what did you do to celebrate when leaving school?

I only went to a private party of about 30 people after exams were over and then flew over to Fiji with my family. I wasn't much of a party-goer back then....

So, when I left school about 8 of us went down the south coast and stayed in a holiday house on the water. It was the best and really chilled!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What are you planning on doing to celebrate leaving school? Or what did you do to celebrate when leaving school?

I know many of my high school mates when to the Gold Coast to celebrate the whole schoolies things.

My group of friends were too lazy to do that so we chilled locally. Hanged out a lot. Plenty of BBQs and the like.

Good time to wind down from all the stresses and let the realisation that you've finished school sink in.

Chill ! Relax ! Have a bit of fun !

hey dreamcatcher!! oooo fiji, nice

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com