cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Slow-mo GR: Coping with uncertainty, Monday the 6th of April- Friday the 10th

Hello lovely RO people!

Today we're kicking off a Slow-mo Getting Real chat that's going to be dealing with 
Coping with Uncertainty!

With everything that's been going on, there's a lot of confusion and uncertainty going around!

David Tennent GIF

I know that for a lot of people, a major source of stress right now is not knowing how the next couple of months/ the rest of the year is going to play out. Things are pretty up in the air -which can make planning ahead feel impossible!

unsure rick & morty GIF

We're going to be having a chat this week on how to manage uncertainty, both in the current situation and in general. As a community we're hoping to discuss ways that we can draw upon our collective experiences and insights to help each other through tough times. We'll be posting a question each week day from today Monday the 6th of April up until Friday the 10th. 

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone about an issue then you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here Heart 

If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here. Heart 

First question coming soon! Smiley Very Happy Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

Re: Slow-mo GR: Coping with uncertainty, Monday the 6th of April- Friday the 10th

First question!

Why do you think we need to feel certain about life events?

confused parks and recreation GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

Re: Slow-mo GR: Coping with uncertainty, Monday the 6th of April- Friday the 10th

Why do you think we need to feel certain about life events?
I think that we like to have a plan for our future, as well as goals and dreams that we would like to achieve. In the past, I've felt as though I needed to achieve certain things by certain ages, though life rarely turns out the way that we expect. I also feel as though we want each year to have a fresh start. I was really hoping that my sister would be able to improve more by the start of this year so that I could have less things to worry about. I also think that we want to feel as though we are safe and secure. An event like the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as social distancing and being unable to do our regular activities, can really push us out of our comfort zone and force us to adapt to a new way of living and doing things. I think that most people don't like experiencing change. The thought of what could possibly come next and how it could affect us can make us worried and anxious.

Highlighted

Here's today's question:

What are some things you can control?

giphy

Highlighted

I think that we can control your attitude towards things and how we respond to them. We can usually control whether we say yes or no to things that people ask us to do and set our own priorities. We can control how we practice self-care and what we do with our feelings. We can also choose whether we seek help.

Highlighted

I am just going to tag a few more people who might be interested in this one Smiley Happy

@YungFury_ @xXLexi_Lou122Xx @Jane_Rose @Wathan @JazzInMay @Tay100 @hellofriend @Tiny_leaf @N1ghtW1ng @drpenguin 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Well, I thought more people would have answered already! Oh well, lucky 3rd! Smiley Happy

1. I'm not entirely sure how to answer this question... But I agree with @WheresMySquishy. We need to feel certain, in order to achieve goals and other dreams.

2. Again, @WheresMySquishy has explained it wonderfully! Most SITUATIONS can't be controlled, but how we respond to them is a different matter. That's mainly what we can c control.
Highlighted

@xXLexi_Lou122Xx and @WheresMySquishy haha i think we're sharing a brain for this GR! Smiley LOL my thoughts were pretty similar!

Why do you think we need to feel certain about life events?

I think in a lot of ways we feel like we need to know what's going to happen to get rid of 'what-ifs'. It's really hard to plan or move on if we don't know what's coming, and it can be hard to stop dwelling!

You guys pretty much said all I would say here, but yeah, the main thing we actually can control is how we react to situations. We can change the way we approach things, both with actions and with attitudes (one of those things that is soooo much easier said than done Smiley Tongue but still!). We can draw boundaries for ourselves, and reach out when we need support, and offer support to others when we can Heart

Highlighted

Why do you think we need to feel certain about life events?

My autistic brain loves certainty. It let's me plan what I'm about to do, and really reduces my anxiety about doing something "wrong".

It also means that I can choose where to put my energy. I only have so much, and knowing if something's actually going to happen or not really helps me divide it. 

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf that makes a lot of sense! A bit hard to know where to invest energy when you don't have clear start or end point