cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow-mo GR: Dealing With Holidays. 9th - 13th Dec

Happy holidays everyone!

tenor.gif

It’s that time of the year again, and while the holiday season can be a wonderful time full of family, friends and food, it can also present some challenges. Whether you're navigating unpleasant family dynamics, spending Christmas away from home for the first time, or are worried about gift budgeting, this season can be tough for everyone.

Cat-vs-Christmas-Tree.gif

Join us next week for a discussion about the highs and lows that we all face throughout this exciting, and at times difficult, month. Starting Monday, December 9th, we’d love to see you there Smiley Happy

source.gif

Re: Slow-mo GR: Dealing With Holidays. 9th - 13th Dec

Those cat GIFs are amazing @roseisnotaplant ! So cute Heart 

Woot! Time to get the chat going guys! Smiley Very Happy

Just before the GR begins i'd just like to remind everyone that if at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. Heart
 If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here! Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Feliz Navidad Christmas GIF by LookHUMAN

What does the holiday season look like for you? Do you have any holiday traditions?

(Definitely doesn't have to be to do with just Christmas though! Heart)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

What does the holiday season look like for you? Do you have any holiday traditions?
In our family, the holiday season is usually pretty low-key. Some of our traditions are:
- Checking out Christmas light displays.
- Sometimes, we go to a buffet. A few times, we've had lunch at my grandma's house.
- We often wear Christmas shirts and accessories.
- Sometimes, we watch Christmas movies on TV.
- Some of my family members go to midnight mass (I don't).
- My parents still give us presents from 'Santa'. When my sister was younger, I used to do those online Santa trackers with her on Christmas Eve.

Highlighted

Great topic! I know many people struggle around this time of year for so many reasons.

What does the holiday season look like for you? Do you have any holiday traditions?
For me the holiday season is often very busy. With the school holidays also being during this time I often have my younger siblings to care for while parents are at work, I get a lot of work through my own clients and still working as a carer as well.

For us we tend to go looking for chirstmas lights, Christmas themed arts and crafts along with baking (decorating xmas themed cupcakes or cookie shapes). we also watch Christmassy movies
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Pretty chill to be honest. For a long time it's just been my parents and younger brother. I've never had Christmas with extended relatives due to the distance.

Traditions? Bon bons at Christmas? Smiley LOL

We share presents some time in the morning on xmas day, whenever we all fall out of bed.

We also check out the Christmas lights people put up for the season which is nice Smiley Happy

We reflected on the joys of 2019

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hope everyone is doing well!

Time for the next question:
What do you find hardest about the holidays?

giphy

Personally I used to struggle with the pressure of my older siblings coming around (they don't anymore, partly because 2 don't live here anymore) and having a fancy meal done up. Although we've simplified it now and it's so nice to have a nice cold meal of cold meat and salads, so much easier in the heat too!
I also struggle with seeing posts on facebook about friends seeing their family and sharing what a good time they are having, my family have never really been close, so I find that hard not to feel jealous about it.

My family tends to have some dramas around the holidays, such as people not talking to each other etc. Sometimes, I've had to set up some rules and boundaries for special occasions as a result.
We're probably not going to be able to do anything outside our house this year because it's hard for my sister to travel. I find it hard to cope with the fact that for two Christmases in a row, she still isn't walking or able to stand on her own. All we wanted was to see her achieve particular goals by Christmas. Smiley Sad Hopefully, next year will be better though.

@WheresMyShquishy it can be challenging with people aren't talking to other people and theres family drama. Well done for creating boundaries for yourself!
I can only imagine how hard it is for you and your family with your sisters condition. ❤