cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Slow-mo GR: Dealing With Holidays. 9th - 13th Dec

What are things you like the most about the holidays?

We reflected on the joys of 2019

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

What does the holiday season look like for you? Do you have any holiday traditions?

For me, the holiday typically involve lots of work. This is a time of year that my work gets the busiest, so it's all hands on deck. I often work over Christmas Day/Boxing Day etc, although will typically find some time to spend with my family as well. 

As for traditions, not really. Christmas Day and Boxing Day generally involve seeing family, but how that looks each year varies. 

What do you find hardest about the holidays?

I find the whole time pretty challenging. This year those challenges have been amplified by being the first Christmas without my dad. So probably pretty similar to some other people out there, I struggle with the portrayals of 'big happy families' on Christmas Day, when mine looks so different. 

The weather. Long, warm days where you can be outside well into the evening. People generally seem merrier at this time of year, which is also nice. 

Thanks @Bee  and @WheresMySquishy , I'm really loving reading through everyone's answers here! 

Image result for elf movie gif

I think it's great to acknowledge that Christmas can be a tough time, for so many reasons! Sometimes I feel like there's so many expectations to make everything magical, and buy the perfect presents, and catch up with everyone, and do xmas baking, and be happy and shiny all of the time - that it can actually be really exhausting. Especially if there's tensions with family or whatever. So, I'd say that managing expectations (both mine, and other people's) is a thing I find hard about Xmas. 

The thing I love about Xmas is being able to spend time with my friends and family - we'll be remembering a few people who aren't with us anymore this year which is always hard, but I'm also super grateful that I get to hang out with people I genuinely like. And eat ALLLLL the food

I love getting to see my extended family, writing cards and going gift shopping.

this gr is really quiet! hopefully some other members will come too

@MB95 @Cheeseburger @xXLexi_Lou122Xx @ecla34 @Hozzles @steana @Sunflower18 @Bananatime04 @Tiny_leaf @MisoBear maybe youd like to join in here
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

the hardest parts of the holidays is usually the amount of work I have to do whether it be caring, babysitting, client work etc and the pressure that comes from getting everything done.
another is that seeing friends and family having such a good time (its great to see but also not) im the outcast of the family so Christmas dinners feel very lonely and awkward. its also a tricky time because my nan isn't here anymore, we use to do a lot of things and she often made Christmas special.

I guess gift giving is one of my favourite things about Christmas. watching family open their presents and smiling makes me happy

Oh, the last few days went by so fast! I meant to reply, but then my brain just wandered off! Thanks for the tag, @scared01! 😂 (Also, love the cat gifs @roseisnotaplant!)

What does the holiday season look like for you? Do you have any holiday traditions?
My 'traditions' look the same as a lot of everyone else's here! Mainly looking around at Christmas lights (my favourite!), watching Carols by Candlelight on TV, wearing Christmas shirts/ jewelry, and opening gifts. Sometimes we will go out to see a specific display/ event. We used to see family for lunch, but because of family tensions we now just have a quiet, chilled lunch ourselves with plenty of bonbons.

Honestly, getting older... for a lot of reasons. Christmas time was so fun and relaxing as a child (Santa tracker was one of my favourite things @WheresMySquishy!), but as an adult it loses it's 'magic'. I feel like when I was a child, distant relatives made more of an effort to see us, but now that me and my brother are both (technically) adults, all we get from them is a card (if we're lucky). I don't mean to sound ungrateful and I know people are busy, but I miss the one time of year I got to see and interact with everyone. 

Along with getting older is that holidays are at the end of the year -- so, for me, I can't help but compare holidays in the years past and how better they may have been to this year. I also get swarmed with thoughts about how I may not have achieved what I wanted to do this year.

Also, this probably goes with the family thing, but it really makes me feel more isolated. I'm such a giving person, but I don't have anyone really to send cards and gifts to (I miss in primary school when you'd just write cards for your whole class). I see more pictures of people together and having fun, and I feel more isolated and awful for being so down in the holiday season. Even if I want to do something, family is really the only people available I can do it with, and as the years go by they either get more busy or less interested (as is the case with my brother).

The aesthetic? Haha. I love Christmas lights and Christmas decorations so much. Also, the longer, warmer days and the amusing juxtaposition with all the decorations being Winter themed 😂.

Thank you for the tag @scared01 but I think my answers may trigger my own thoughts and it may be best if I sit this one out for now. Holidays are a huge struggle for me
Thank you tho Smiley Happy I’m sorry

Thankyou so much for tagging me in this @scared01, and thank you to everyone who has created this ❤ I am feeling pretty lonely at the moment and quite upset and not in the xmas spirit as I am in a town on my own at the moment so this is such a lovely and happy distraction and just what I needed!!! I think it's very important and amazing that you are all able to appreciate that Christmas is not all smiles and magic for everyone and I'm relieved you have created somewhere we can all talk about it and support eachother so thanks! Such an awesome idea and I LOVED reading through everyone's posts and cannot wait to see more! 😊 

Anyway.. enough rambling and onto the questions.. 

What does the holiday season look like for you? Do you have any holiday traditions? 

Despite getting older and sadly realising that Christmas is not exactly as magical as it once was as a child, I still try and encourage my family to keep up the traditions for fun! We always used to go Christmas light hunting on Xmas Eve or a few days before as a family which I LOVED so I try and drag them along with me each year. We also attend our local Carols by Candlelight and then also watch the ones on TV. My mum and I also have a running joke where I'll still put out carrots for the reindeer and milk and biscuits for Santy 😂 She refuses to tell us Santa is not who we think he is and quite franky I refuse to believe it because then it means I've grown up and well, that's terrifying in itself lol So I like to play along by putting my childhood 'santa sack' out and she always signs our gifts as being from the big fella himself 😂 Until I wrote that I actually didn't realise how much our silly little tradition meant to me but I am completely smiling at my phone right now and tearing up because I'm so excited to go home so thankyou so much for creating this thread guys. It's definately having an impact ❤

I can relate @scared01, it's not easy. We lost my grandmother a few years back and she made Christmas what it was. It was her favourite time of year so she'd go absolutely all out. Since losing her things have changed, family dynamics are not the same and I guess most of the happiness and magic is no longer there. It's a really difficult time and I struggle to find the happiness I once felt at this time of year. I guess it's just a reminder that she isn't with us and I am yet to accept that so it's hard. I think that's why my mum and I try and keep our childhood traditions going to try and make it a little fun, much to my dads, brothers and sisters disgust 😂 They just roll their eyes at us but I know they secretly love it cause every year they ask me if I'm gonna put it all out for Santa lol 

I guess I just find it hard to put on a true smile in general and feel the happiness I used too. My family doesn't know anything about my mental health yet so I always feel guilty about that too because we are all together and they remind me of how loving and supportive they are but I don't want to burden them with my shit so I feel terrible that they don't really know me if that makes sense? 

I also have severe anxiety so one of the absolute hardest things for me is Christmas shopping. I love shopping for others but the stress of not knowing what to get always takes it's toll and the biggest struggle for me is physically being around so many people!! I used to go with my family but I found I would become to overwhelmed and would need to escape but wouldn't tell them because I didn't want to ruin it for them so instead I'd just end up really angry and eventually snap. Stupid I know. Now I just go on my own so I can escape as soon as it becomes too much for me.

Spending time with my mum, dad, brother, sister, grandad and puppy. God I cannot wait to see them!!! 😍

Having the tree up and the house decked out - mum likes to get into the true Christmas spirit. 

And I cannot forget the food - all the yummy food (and left overs for dayssss)!!! 

Thanks again for sharing guys, this is such a beautiful post and I appreciate that we are able to talk about the struggles too ❤

Can't wait to see more and will try keep my other responses short!! I tend to ramble on sorry. I don't really open up at all in 'real life' so find when I'm writing I get a little too carried away! 🙃

But thankyou for letting me share ❤