cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spiritual; to be or not to be. That is the question.

@Atma wrote:

Sagira you make a good point about religion and spirituality being different. I don't think they're necessarily two sides of a coin, there are a lot of similarities. Religions for the most part have a lot of rules for ways of being and living and are done in groups. Whereas spirituality can be a very individual thing by taking the bits and pieces of the world and turning them into your own beliefs.

That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, in fact sometimes they can complement each other perfectly.

I agree, organised religion can be somewhat comforting, as it provides a community of people who share the same beliefs, and on an individual level there's more guidance available when you have to make a hard decision.  But individual spirituality is better in other ways as you have more freedom to be true to yourself.   I wonder if it's the spiritual individuals who have the most ability to help a religion evolve and remain relevant to the society it's practised in...

@Bee wrote:

I'm not really sure how spiritual beliefs influence my life, they might a little but not heaps. Certain things I look at in reflection and think that there was a purpose behind what happened.
I wouldn't say that spiritual beliefs have an overly important role in decision making, they might if I had a stronger belief in the teaching but I'm not sure.

You know that this is perfectly ok too Bee. I think that if you can look back in reflection and believe that something happened for a reason then you can still be living by your spiritual values.

One of mine is that all things happen for a reason and therefore I should just go with the flow. I find that at times this belief really gets me through!

This discussion is very captivating. Thanks so much for participating!!

What spiritual values do you hold around mental health and wellbeing?

@Lone Wolf wrote:
I wonder if it's the spiritual individuals who have the most ability to help a religion evolve and remain relevant to the society it's practised in...

What a great thought. I'm loving the stuff that's coming up tonight.

This quote made me think of the Dalai Lama and how his presence has helped to inform where Buddhism has been taken. His quote are astounding, all true to the faith, but informed for our time. For example, recently he was asked by a young women what advice he'd given his 19 year old self and his, rather long winded response was that he'd encourage more 19 year olds to relax and drink more because we're a generation of high achievers.

Sagira: I'm not sure whether I agree with your statement about there being a difference between spitiruality and religion. I've kind of always thought they were both interwinded together....

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Atma: After reading (post44) a few times I finally understood what you meant! I get that, living by the values stated in the bible but not being religious.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee wrote:
Sagira: I'm not sure whether I agree with your statement about there being a difference between spitiruality and religion. I've kind of always thought they were both interwinded together....

For a lot of people religion is one and the same as their spirituality, which is perfectly ok. For others, they can be spiritual without being part of an organised religion. Perhaps for you your religion and spirituality are very similar which still makes it a pretty awesome place to be.

If you want to learn more about spirituality you should check out our factsheets!

@Bee wrote:

For many people they are.  If you are one of those people, that's perfectly ok, in fact admirable.  But for many people there is a huge difference.

I personally find that I'm much more spiritual when I'm not trying to stick to one particular religion.  When I'm involved in only one religion I become one of those nasty people who are overly concerned with rules! And as Sagira wrote, that's really not cool.

Mine are mostly about overcoming suffering. Buddhism states that to overcome suffering we must be unattached to things. This has really helped me as I suffer a lot from negative thoughts and insecure attachments.

The next q is a follow on one to this one, it is...

How have your spiritual beliefs impacted on your mental wellbeing journey?

Eastern practices of mindfulness, meditation and yoga have been so helpful to me on the mental health and spirtuality front.  It's about recognising you are not your thoughts, you are the observing self behind them.  So much I get caught up in my negative thinking, which leads to phsyical symptoms, poor behaivours and another whirlwind of even more horrible unhelpful thoughts.  But if I am being realistic and mindful I can either...observe what is going on within myself, without judegment...or challenge the thinking.

For example:
No one likes me (it's a common theme of mine)...when I'm feeling anxious about my social situation.
This leads to, what the hell is wrong with me, I have no friends, I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life.
I tend to overeat, lock myself in my room, get really depressed and withdraw.

But if I challenge it:

I have plenty of  good friends.

I'm feeling lonely right now because I'm so far away from everyone and I don't see them that often.
I may not have a significant other right now...but I can not forsee what the future holds.

All I have is right here and right now and only I can make it better.

I'll text someone.

I will e-mail someone.

I will plan an outing with someone.

I will call someone now.

I've read a lot of self help books.  The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and The Happiness Trap (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) by Russ Harris are two books which basically discuss the same thing!  Except the former is written on eastern philosphies and the latter is easter philosphies being westernised so people don't freak out.  It's all really interesting.

My point is...I could do all these things without being spritual...but using spirituality within my treatment has kept me grounded.  Honestly yoga is one of my biggest coping strategies.  It allows me to get out of my head and let it all out on the mat and forget.

DAMNNN...sorry guys I'm doing too much writing today!