cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Taking Your Stress out on Other People & Why it Sucks

@_sagira_ wrote:

Oh yes...I know mine is always on the receiving end.  Usually because she's the one actually causing my stress to start off with.

Another source of stress : siblings Smiley Happy

Great advice sagira and amazing resource you shared too - I haven't seen that website before - thank you!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@fosterthepeople wrote:

The future stresses me out sometimes when I over think about it too much. 

Same here!

@_sagira_ wrote:

@michine wrote:

@Cesj wrote:

Who have I taken my stress out on?

Usually i take it out on my sister and friends, especially if I am low (diabetic). Half the time I dont realise what I am doing till I feel better then feel so guilty. If I shutdown I dont talk to anyone unless its absolutely necessary, until I can get somewhere where I can let out what I am feeling alone.

What stresses me out

Uni

Work

writing graduate applications, somehow tyring to decide what I am going to do the rest of my life is driving me crazy

keeping myself from getting depressed

generally pretty stressed out at the moment

Hmm it seems as though our sisters and loved ones seem to cop quite a bit of our brunt!

Oh yes...I know mine is always on the receiving end.  Usually because she's the one actually causing my stress to start off with.

Yeah mine does and generally I feel awful about, even if she is the one causing the stress. Sometimes I just let go I dont feel in control of my emotions (long standing problem that I am working on)

Having talked about trying to relieve our stresses by taking it out on other people.

What could you have done instead to relieve yourself of the sress? Once you are already stressed - what helps you to relax in the middle of a stressful time? 

#Great to hear that you're actively trying to control it Cesj!

Highlighted

@michine wrote:

Having talked about trying to relieve our stresses by taking it out on other people. What could you have done instead to relieve yourself of the sress? Once you are already stressed - what helps you to relax in the middle of a stressful time? 

Sometimes just walking away from the situation helps, takes me out of the stress literally. Sometimes when you are in the moment however its hard to see a better way to deal with the stress

@Sophie-RO wrote:
Great advice sagira and amazing resource you shared too - I haven't seen that website before - thank you!!

No problem.  The whole concept is really, really interesting and what I really like about it.  It's not about getting rid of your symptoms(ie. stress anxiety), but working with them.

@DD @forsterthepeople @Cesj looks like we hit a chord with all of us!! (re:sisters)

@_sagira_ wrote:

@Sophie-RO wrote:

No problem.  The whole concept is really, really interesting and what I really like about it.  It's not about getting rid of your symptoms(ie. stress anxiety), but working with them.

@DD @forsterthepeople @Cesj looks like we hit a chord with all of us!! (re:sisters)

I agree totally you love them but they drive you crazy

Having talked about trying to relieve our stresses by taking it out on other people. What could you have done instead to relieve yourself of the stress? Once you are already stressed - what helps you to relax in the middle of a stressful time? 

Ways that I try to relieve myself of stress are by getting some space and doing something calming that I enjoy, like listening to music, drinking tea, drawing, painting or going for a walk. I sometimes also try and shift my focus by writing down what is bothering me to get it out of my system or writing down positive things in my life to counteract my negative mindset. In the moment I try and just do some grounding, focus on my breathing, and get myself out of the situation if I can.

@cesj walking away is a great way, by moving yourself away from the source the less of an impact it can have on you. Once we’re stress it is extremely hard, but one way which I’ve found to always work is to take a deep breath or to take a little time for yourself to put your head back into the right place.

The key thing is to do something you enjoy to take your mind off it, which will be different for each person. Whether it be pumping up the music, going for a walk, screaming into a pillow and even my favourite air drumming!