cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking to a professional for the first time

It's a fact of life, at one point or another, we all have to see new health professionals - whether it's a dentist, a doctor, a psychologist or a psychiatrist - it's always quite nerve-wrecking! So tonight in Getting Real we are going to discuss some tips on how to approach a first appointment (and maybe a second and third as well!) with a new health professional. 

We've all heard the horror stories - the doctor was running 45 minutes late or she seemed more preoccupied with the time then to what you were saying or you completely lost your mind and couldn't get a single word out! There are so many challenges but there are some things you can do to help be prepared. I guess in some ways it is not all that dissimilar to going on a first date!

So come along and share your tips (and your horror stories!) so you can be prepared for your next first appointment!!

See you tonight at 8pm (AEDST).

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Talking to a professional for the first time

Hey guys!!

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session! Sophie and I will be leading the discussion tonight and we look forward to an education conversation!

Tonight we are discussing "first appointments". We are not restricting the topic at all to any "one" type of appointment so feel free to come in with experiences in first appointments in any health professional area! Many first appointments are very similar anyway!

We look forward to hearing your thoughts about how to deal with anxiety surrounding first appointments and what some of your experiences have been in the past. So take a seat in this comfy waiting room (for once, NOT full of sniffling, coughing children) and join in the conversation!!!

Of course normal rules apply - check out the guidelines here and if anything upsets you tonight remember there is the emergency help button up the top right of the screen. 

To start us off tonight… 

Have you been to any first appointments lately? What about in the past? Which were the scariest?

Hi guys!! Dentists are my WORST!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I haven't actually been to any first appointments lately... Although I am going to see a new GP on Wednesday! So this topic is so relevant to me!

@Sophie-RO , I actually adore my dentist! I saw him a couple of weeks ago and it was great. He is so friendly and we always have a big chat about his two cute little daughters and he shows me photos! 

The toughest first appointment has probably been my current psychiatrist, but that was a few years ago now. Always hard to open up to someone new!

I guess, the dentist I had as a kid was really patronising... I feel like that maybe has made me wary of dentists... How are you feeling about your new GP???

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Past experiences definitely shape how we feel about future health professionals!

I'm REALLY hoping this GP will be great! My local area has this really awesome facebook page - it's like a community noticeboard and someone posted a question a few weeks ago asking about good female doctors in the area, it got so many replies! So this doctor was one of the recommendations from a few people on there! I always feel more confident when I hear AMAZING recommendations from others! 

Soooo quiet in here tonight... Maybe everyone just LOVES seeing doctors and other health professionals!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Wow, recommendations are DEFINITELY the way to go. The problem, in Sydney at least, is that usually the recommended GPs are really difficult to get into... So that's great you got an appointment.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

It definitely is quiet tonight!

Yeah, a lot of the good docs don't even accept new patients anymore - especially if they bulk bill! Unfortunately this one doesn't bulk bill, which sucks! But if she's amazing it will be worth it!

Have you been to any first appointments lately? What about in the past? Which were the scariest?

I went to a first physio appointment a little while ago Smiley Happy. That wasn't too scary though because I'm an OT student and I'm pretty across what physios do. I agree with Soph, I hate the dentist too! I had an appointment with a new dentist, not my regular, a little while ago, and that was scary because I hate the dentist and the dentist I normally see is the same one I've seen since I was 5!