cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking to a professional for the first time

Next Question!!! We are running a bit late. Oops!

What kind of stuff would you expect to happen in the first appointment? Have you ever had something totally unexpected happen?

"What kind of stuff would you expect to happen in the first appointment? Have you ever had something totally unexpected happen?"

I think - well it depends on the type of appointment - but when it comes to mental health, the first appointment is about getting to know each other and the client seeing how the professional works and if its a good personality match. You don't necessarily have to spill your guts and explain everything. A common question to be asked in the first appointment is "what was it that brought you here".... so talking about the things that led you to think "i'd like to talk to a professional"

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey dudes, sorry I'm late (my little nanna nap turned into a decent sleep, haha)

Have you been to any first appointments lately? What about in the past? Which were the scariest?

Not so much as lately, but I have had more than my fair share in the past. The first one is always the hardest for me. Meeting a new person, learning to trust and stuff... It really gets easier as time goes on.

How do you go about choosing a new health professional? What kind of stuff do you normally look for?

In rural Australia, it's really not an option to be 'picky'... (unless you are able to travel up to 3 hours away.... which is something that actually happened to me! Not fun!). I've been pretty lucky in getting people I really liked. Although, there were some I hated... I usually just told the professional themselves or just made appointments with different people and got put with different people.

If you want a new person enough, a little searching is worth it.

I look for people who are generally kind and caring (You'd be suprised how many don't give off that vibe) and i don't know.... usually I just get a feeling... like if we 'click' or not.

What kind of stuff would you expect to happen in the first appointment? Have you ever had something totally unexpected happen?

Thankfully nothing unexpected has happened to me! But I have heard horror stories from people.

I think the first appointment is very much a bit of an overview and history. Most first appointments I've been to get you to fill out a form asking you about your general medical history. It's very much an appointment for you to get to know the health professional and them to get to know you. I remember at my first appointment with my current psychiatrist, at the end he told me a bit of a plan for what we would be doing if I wanted to see him again and he made it clear that if I didn't want to see him again, he was totally fine with that - he realized you don't always "click" with everyone and he said he would give me some names of other psychiatrists to try. I thought that was really great! Made me feel so much more comfortable! Smiley Happy

I haven't had anything too unexpected happen in a first appointment. Usually I find they just ask a bit about me and why I've come to see them and they tell me a bit about themselves, what sorts of things they do and what I can expect to happen in the first session (or in future sessions). It depends on which professional you see though. GP's don't usually go into what they do because that's fairly self-explanatory, but an OT or speechie might.

@Sophie-RO wrote:
"What kind of stuff would you expect to happen in the first appointment? Have you ever had something totally unexpected happen?"

I think - well it depends on the type of appointment - but when it comes to mental health, the first appointment is about getting to know each other and the client seeing how the professional works and if its a good personality match. You don't necessarily have to spill your guts and explain everything. A common question to be asked in the first appointment is "what was it that brought you here".... so talking about the things that led you to think "i'd like to talk to a professional"

I agree Sophie, that's fairly similar to experience of seeing a MH professional for the first time.

EDIT - @mischiefmanaged that sounds like a great first experience with your psychiatrist, if only more health professionals were like that!

Welcome @dreamcatcher - what a valid point about rural areas! Definitely something to be aware of. Thankfully, a lot of psychiatrists and psychologists are opening their clinics to skype sessions now! Which I think is great!

We'll move on to the next question but keep those answers coming!!!

How do you prepare for a first appointment? What tips would you give to others who are just about to attend first appointments?

Hi dreamcatcher (that happens to me all the time!) soooo true about living in a rural area...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

"How do you prepare for a first appointment? What tips would you give to others who are just about to attend first appointments?"
Since I've been working at ReachOut.com I've learnt from young people lots of good techniques for preparing for first appointments! Stuff like, making sure you know where you are going, researching about what that type of professional does, knowing what your rights are etc

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Great conversation so far guys! It's great to hear your thoughts.

How do you prepare for a first appointment? What tips would you give to others who are just about to attend first appointments?

Breathe. It seems obvious but breathing can help a lot! I remember when I saw a GP for the first time a few years ago, a friend text me the whole time - while I was driving there, while I was in the waiting room, afterwards. It helped to know that someone was making sure I was keeping calm and helping me through! 

To prepare, I often make lists and just so some thinking - what are the things I need from this appointment? What do I need to tell them? It helps to just think about the appointment and what your expectationss are from it - but be realistic!

Also... have a reward in place afterwards! Any tough appointments (first or other wise) deserve a reward - mine is often a nice hot chocolate and a piece of banana bread afterwards!