cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking to a professional for the first time

How do you prepare for a first appointment? What tips would you give to others who are just about to attend first appointments?

I sometimes like to write a list of what I want to talk about so I don't forget anything. I also sometimes talk to my family and friends about my nerves and what I to expect (esp. if they have seen the same professional before). Tips? Maybe do some online research about the profession of the person you're going to see to get an idea of what to expect, and try to relax Smiley Happy. Oh and don't be afraid to try someone else if you don't feel comfortable.

So, I kinda touched on this already but, sometimes we forget that we have rights as a patient/health consumer and that we don’t have to accept everything that the professional does/tells us. What are some of those rights that you can think of?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

Great conversation so far guys! It's great to hear your thoughts.

How do you prepare for a first appointment? What tips would you give to others who are just about to attend first appointments?

Breathe. It seems obvious but breathing can help a lot! I remember when I saw a GP for the first time a few years ago, a friend text me the whole time - while I was driving there, while I was in the waiting room, afterwards. It helped to know that someone was making sure I was keeping calm and helping me through! 

To prepare, I often make lists and just so some thinking - what are the things I need from this appointment? What do I need to tell them? It helps to just think about the appointment and what your expectationss are from it - but be realistic!

Also... have a reward in place afterwards! Any tough appointments (first or other wise) deserve a reward - mine is often a nice hot chocolate and a piece of banana bread afterwards!

+1! Agree with all of these MM. I did the first one when I saw my psychologist for the first time.

@dd - interesting point about googling the health professional... I totally googled all the GPs I was tossing up between. Great tip about talking to family and friends! I have a friend who is seeing a new GP tomorrow so we had a quick chat the other night about that! It will be good to hear how her appointment went in preparation for my own (hopefully amazingly, so it gives me more confidence. Smiley Wink ).

• Go in with an open mind. When I went to my first appointment, I was expecting the stereotypical room that you see in movies. (I'm sure that there are some like that) but all the one's I went to were nothing like that.
  • Remember that the person is there to listen and help and not judge.
  • Try not to work yourself up about going, I promise it's not as bad as you think! If you do happen to work yourself up, just remember to take deep breaths, focus on that.
  • Think about what you might like to talk about (I used to make lists!, because I suck at remembering) Try not to overdo it. You usually have an hour to talk, try to be realistic.
  • Try not to lie when you get in there, it won't help you in the long run.

sometimes we forget that we have rights as a patient/health consumer and that we don’t have to accept everything that the professional does/tells us. What are some of those rights that you can think of?

As a health student I should know a few of these, haha!

- The right to see your file/ any correspondence about you between health professionals.

- The right to refuse treatment.

- I think making a complaint may be a right?

- Is being able to bring someone with you a right too?

Can't think of any others at the moment.

Highlighted

Great tips dd! Love the tip about going in with an open mind!! Smiley Happy

sometimes we forget that we have rights as a patient/health consumer and that we don’t have to accept everything that the professional does/tells us. What are some of those rights that you can think of?

You are entitled to a second opinion! You are the professional on your own body and mind so if something they say doesn't seem to make sense to you then ask for clarification. They should be willing to explain whatever you need to know.

Top marks to DD!!!
Making a complaint is definitely a right, here is the full list from our factsheet http://au.reachout.com/All-about-your-healthcare-rights

Your rights are:
to see qualified people and get good care
to be treated with dignity and respect
to have your health details kept confidential, unless they're required by law to pass something on. Find out more about confidentiality.
to not be abused, mentally or physically or discriminated against because of your age, gender, race, family status, sexual orientation or disability
services that recognise and work with cultural, religious, social and ethnic needs, values and beliefs
free emergency treatment at hospitals if you're an Australian citizen
you can bring someone you trust to support you at appointments
info on what services are available

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Ahh thanks for the full list Sophie! I can't believe I forgot confidentiality! So obvious. They are all great things to keep in mind when going to see a health professional. Smiley Happy