cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking to a professional for the first time

Wow. We both forgot confidentiality, DD! Thanks Sophie!

I seem to have big trust issues... And so if I don't feel comfortable the first session, I generally don't stick it out much more. -Probably not the best choice!

When seeking out someone new, I like to know of others who've seen them and that recommend them. For me personally, I prefer females over males -like someone else said, especially for 'female stuff'. And prepare for the cost side of it. (I've been lucky and am mostly bulk billed!)

I think that for first appointments, be willing to open up -I know how hard it is but even just a little is better than nothing. And try to have a list of things you would like to discuss -I suggest this, and always think to do it but never do! *note to self do this for tomorrow's appointment!
I remember that for a first appointment (and a few afterwards) to have someone come with me and if needed help talk or even if just to be in the waiting room.

Some of the rights and a big one for me, we are entitled to complete privacy unless there is a risk to the safety of someone. The right to refuse treatment, make a complaint if deeded, see our file/information and importantly to be respected. -that's a few but I'm sure there's more!

I'm looking forward to hearing your responses to this one!

What are some of the things that a professional might do that will make you turns you off instantly?

@bubblez: definitely great advice about opening up - even just a little bit!! Step by step and don't be hard on yourself for not being "open enough" it;s natural to be wary of bearing your soul to someone you just met! Professionals know (or they should know) that they have to work hard to build rapport and trust with you. They don't expect you to trust them straight away... And actually, if you find that you dont trust a professional it probably IS a good idea - the trick is though that you have to try someone else and keep trying til you find someone that is right for you.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What are some of the things that a professional might do that will make you turns you off instantly?

The first time I went to my GP to tell him about some problems I've been having he sort of went weird on me haha. When I started crying he freaked out, prescribed me anti-depresents without asking further questions and couldn't wait to get me out of the door. That definitly turned me off talking to someone for a bit 

Welcome Chonty,

That sounds awful!!! It concerns me the number of GPs who seem to be quite clueless on mental health issues!! They DO get training in this area but some are really, really clueless!

The WORST thing that's happened with a professional and me was my new GP told me all these details about another paitent in a simular situation to me and I was like..... NOPE NOPE NOPE GOODBYE. ZERO TRUST FOR YOU. And I never went back.

I also hated people that used to tell my mother everything (when I was younger). Just ... if I didn't feel like I could trust the person, it was a no go.

Dismiss my concerns or act like I'm over-reacting would be the biggest ones for me for sure. Also disrespecting me (I'm struggling to describe this though... like poor communication with me?), or if I see unprofessional behaviour in the waiting room (i.e. in the radiologist a few weeks ago I saw the receptionists bitching about a client after they got off the phone - I won't be going back there after that!)

Highlighted

I don't like it if they act as if they know it all and won't really listen to what you have to say. Yes they may be the health PROFESSIONAL but I'm the professional on me. So I expect them to listen to what I have to say without jumping to conclusions.

I also hate it if they rush me! I booked an appointment so I don't expect to be rushed even if they are running extremely late! Funnily enough I would normally say running late would be a turn off but my psychaitrist consistently runs 30 minutes late - sometimes I think I should just rock up 30 minutes late every time I go (but knowing my luck the day I do that is the day he was running on time!). 

Oh my gosh you guys have absolute HORROR stories!!! I cant believe those things happened to you!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com