cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking to a professional for the first time

Dreamcatcher - I TOTALLY had the same situation with my GP when I was younger. That's why I stopped seeing her. Mum was her patient too and when mum got home from an appointment with her she'd know all this stuff that I had told the GP at my appointment! Really wasn't on!

Totally agree with the bitching and unprofessional behaviour!

Great thoughts guys!
Highlighted

I know a few of us have touched on this already...

What kind of signs do you get from first appointments that this person might be worth seeing a second time?

What kind of signs do you get from first appointments that this person might be worth seeing a second time?

First time I went to see my psych he spent the first 15 minutes or so explaining his qualifications, training and what this kind of therapy would entail, sort of giving a guideline to how session would be laid out. He then made sure I understood that I could ask any questions I wanted and that if I didn't feel comfortable I should let him know. 

Pretty much showed he could be trusted from the get go

So I guess willingness to be open? And giving you the chance to explain why you're there

If that makes sense

Turn offs would be telling others what I hoped would be in confidence. -Something I've dealt with a lot between my psych and parents.
Not running on time is so frustrating! -But, when I know that my Dr is good and I feel comfortable with her, I'm happy to wait around that bit longer. Smiley Happy
I hate being rushed or made to feel as though I'm not being listened to or taken seriously.

Worth seeing a second time would be they are paying complete attention to me, listening and not judging. Make me feel comfortable and as though they want to listen/help. Smiley Happy I don't want to go see someone who is cranky and without a smile so, someone who is somewhat chatty and smiley. Smiley Happy

If they sound like they generally want to see you again, if they're friendly, respectable. if I feel like I could maybe trust them and if I feel like they didn't judge me, I'll give it another go. Why not, right?

Chonty: so glad to hear you had such a good first session with your psych! Phew... Good professionals are out there!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Yep - not judging needs to be for ALL professionals across the board! So important!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

The person listens to what I say and doesn't expect me to be "on top of things", the person doesn't rush me (and I mean that in two ways, firstly that they don't rush me to "fix" for my problems and secondly that they don't rush me through the appointment itself) and that I feel comfortable with them (this is probably the most important thing!).

EDIT: I agree with Chonty, the person giving the opportunity to ask questions is a good sign too.

Great signs Chonty and Bubblez - totally agree.

Sometimes it is very much a matter of whether or not you "click". It's totally okay not to click with a person... But it's also important to not give up if that happens! I like it when they set out a plan and make it seem as though they are excited to be working with you! So important to be made to feel as though you are their number one priority during the appointment!

For our final question tonight... Thanks SO much for your contributions tonight! It's been so insightful!

If a younger friend of yours was seeing a health professional on their own for the first time, what would your best piece of advice for them be??