cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking to a professional for the first time

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

I like it when they set out a plan and make it seem as though they are excited to be working with you! So important to be made to feel as though you are their number one priority during the appointment!

I agree totally with this MM!

If a younger friend of yours was seeing a health professional on their own for the first time, what would your best piece of advice for them be??

My advice would be to try more than one professional if you're not feeling comfortable, and that once you find someone you trust to stick it out for a bit, even if you don't feel like it's helping. When I first started seeing my psych I wasn't sure it was helping, but I said to myself, I'll stick with it for 3 months and if I'm still not happy I'll try someone else. After the three months I could see it had helped though so I kept seeing her! Sometimes I think you need that time to see the benefit Smiley Happy

If a younger friend of yours was seeing a health professional on their own for the first time, what would your best piece of advice for them be??

First of all, I'd let them know that it's really great that they're making positive steps to becoming better and that it'll be worth it if they tell the truth, let it out into the open (whatever their problem is), listen and breathe. It's not as scary as you may think.

I agree with delicatedreamer, if you're not happy with the professional you're seeing, there's always the option to get a second opinion. 

Another good tip is to make a list. Chances are you'll forget some things because of nerves, so lists are always good to fall back on!

Before we wrap it up for tonight, we'd love for your feedback on the session: https://roforums.wufoo.com/forms/s1ujfb5k1m5voo2/

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What great advice you all have!

I'd tell them to stay calm - it's barely ever as bad as you imagine it to be and there are always other options if it doesn't work out this time round!! 

Thanks for attending tonight guys.

This is a bit of a summary of tonight's discussion!!!

• To start off we discussed which health professionals are the most scary! Seems dentists took that crown!
  • Next we talked about how we choose a health professional - low cost/bulk billing; waiting list; public transport; open to circumstances (e.g. LGBTIQ, Mental health problems); gender and age of the health professionals. Recommendations from others are also important! It can be made more difficult in rural areas where options are limited. 
  • We also talked a bit about trust - it's important to be aware that trust can take time to develop. 
  • Then we discussed the first appointment. Often the first appointment is very much a "getting to know you appointment". It's important to remember that if you don't' click with the health professional it's okay to not go back again!
  • To prepare for appointments, we discussed how making a list can be helpful - think about what do you want from the appointment and what do you need to discuss at the appointment… as well as trying to find out a bit about them - google them (though use caution!). It's also important to have a chat to friends and family if you are feeling nervous. Also go in with an open mind.  Most importantly, having a reward in place afterwards can be helpful too. 
  • Some of our rights as a health consumer/patient include confidentiality, to not be abused, to bring someone you trust along with you and making a complaint if necessary. 
  • We heard some really scary horror stories about first appointments! Things that are NOT on and which turn us off from health professionals is if the staff are bitching about other patients in the waiting room, the health professional not understanding what we are trying to say or jumping to conclusions and overreacting. 
  • Things we look for that make us want to return include feeling as though we are welcomed, if the professional is friendly, doesn't judge and seems as though they want to help. But sometimes we don't "click" and that's totally okay.

Thanks so much for joining tonight guys! It's been so insightful and I hope this acts as a great resource for when you have your next "first appointment"! 

Thanks y'all!!!!!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Great discussion tonight guys! I agree with MM, it was really insightful. And thank you MM and Sophie for facilitating. Good night! Smiley Happy