cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The 4 Stages of Exam Season

Who here can identify with the 1st phase?! What kind of grand goals have you set yourself at the beginning of the exam period?

I have goals that I will start study like 2+ weeks before and get through so many topics a day, and I'll write up summary notes for each week, finish all my readings, and do practice questions... Never happens, haha! It's more like a mad rush to the finish line incorporating elements of all of these. Smiley Tongue

Hi all!
I don't really have a social life, I've lived with depression and anxiety throughout most of my life so I generally avoid any social contact but since being in Uni and now in my third year of social work, I've met and made some super supportive friends, so a phase I'd put in is STUDY SES WITH THE PALS. Worst thing to attempt is going at it all alone, it's hard to ask for help sometimes but it's worth it in the end.
Keeping with the optimist tone Smiley Happy

I think you got it spot on there Sophie!!!!

DD: The freak out phases is very familiar to me too, that was me last night.. haha

Sophie - why would you turn up to an exam with no sleep!? Smiley Surprised

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

#
i think writting down the goal and crossing them out when you complete them is a good way to stay on track

I think the problem I found with this phase and my big optimistic goals was that when I inevitably didn't do what I'd set out to do - I felt bad about myself like a failure... setting realistic goals in this optimistic phase is important...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@MM: Unfortunately no, denial will not make the essay go away.. be good if it would be though hey?

Who here can identify with the 1st phase?! What kind of grand goals have you set yourself at the beginning of the exam period?

I can tend to be quite a perfectionist, so I set myself these ridiculous idea of this ridiculously high mark, and I start to think that if I don't get it I'm not worthy, stupid ect. And when I get it back, well yeah, I don't meet it and I get rather upset...
Though I'm learning to be more realistic, which is helping a lot Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Welcome Dannipurple!
study with friends is really cool, it really helps because you can ask questions to each other, and everyone helps everyone do their best

When you're in this phase, what kind of thing could you do (or have you done) to harness your enthusiasm? 

Hello there dannipurple!! so glad you could join us - and YES the studying with friends - particularly at uni level can be soooooo helpful!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO wrote:
I think the problem I found with this phase and my big optimistic goals was that when I inevitably didn't do what I'd set out to do - I felt bad about myself like a failure... setting realistic goals in this optimistic phase is important...

I completely agree Sophie. That's something I struggle with too.