cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

The (not so) secret to my success

Did you know that studies have shown that you can play sports better by practicing positive self-talk? Self-talk is the talking you do in your own head about yourself and the things that happen, your own "running commentary" on your life. The difference between beleiving "I'm going to fail" and "I'm going to win" can actually change the outcome of what happens.

It's kind of like when Ron thought Harry had put liquid luck into his drink before a Quiddich match and he played brilliantly - only to find out that becaused he beleived he was going to do well - he did. There was no potion in his drink at all, it was the power of his mind telling him he'll do well.

Well it's not magic, it's positive self-talk. So why not give it a try?

Having low self esteem and confidence can make you feel like a door mat at times feeling like you are being walked all over. Wouldn’t you love to be able to stand up and feel confident?

Our low self esteem strips us of our self confidence to even make the smallest decisions can seem very tough. Some people have low self esteem most of the time due to being bullied or thinking that they should be better than they are, Do you find yourself comparing yourself to others thinking "why can’t I be like them”  etc.

Team sports can be a great way to build up your self esteem and confidence up or just giving friends or even someone you don’t know a compliment can change the way someone thinks.

Maybe you want to learn some positive self talk so you can win the next football game? Or just feel more positive about yourself?

Want to find out ways to build your self esteem and confidence up? Or have something you’d like to share? Come join in our discussion here on Monday 15that 8pm AEST.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: The (not so) secret to my success

Hey guys!

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real sesh about getting confident and improving our self esteem. I'm Gail & I'll be co-facilitating with Cheekyone & Soph.

Just as Soph has mentioned above, the way we talk to ourselves can have a HUGE impact on how we think about ourselves - so we'll be focusing a bit on this throughout the night. Hopefully by the end of tonight's conversation we'll all be getting our positive self talk on like pros!

As always, remember to keep the conversation within the guidelines, & if you need to chat with someone about anything that comes up for you, click the 'emergency help & info' tab up the top of your screen for details of who you can contact.

Let's get started!

Think of a friend or someone you know that has good self esteem. How can you tell that their self esteem is good? Is it the way they talk, act, dress…?

Hey all! Here are the guidelines: http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Forum-Guidelines/m-p/16#U16

Looking forward to tonight - I believe this is such an important topic...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Think of a friend or someone you know that has good self esteem. How can you tell that their self esteem is good? Is it the way they talk, act, dress…?

I think the main way I can tell my friends have good self esteem is by the way they talk and act. They have no hesitation in talking to people and normally have a pretty relaxed and happy demeanour.

Welcome DD Smiley Happy Yep, I can see those things in some of my friends too. I think that relaxed demeanour is so true! Kind of cool & confident...

I think another pretty good indicator is the way people take compliments - whether they resist them & argue with you, shrug them off, or accept them & say thanks.

Hmmm, thinking of someone with good self esteem - they seem calm, assured but also generous with their time and energy and interested in the world/people around them. They don't mind what others think of them, but they generally don't need to worry because they are mostly well liked...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@gail: Yep, totally agree about the taking compliments thing! I have low self-esteem and usually when someone compliments me I say thanks, but then I launch into some kind of negative straight afterwards as a way of 'devaluing' I guess, what they've just said.
@Sophie: That's a great description Smiley Happy

That's interesting that you mentioned being interested in others & the world around them - maybe being less preoccupied thinking about & judging ourselves gives us more space to consider what's going on outside us... What do you guys think?

Yea totally Gail, that's a good point.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Yeah, I definitely think that makes sense. Being preoccupied with the potential for embarrassment and being judged would definitely impact on how much you can interact with other people/ things outside yourself because you're not able to give it your full 'mental energy' if that makes sense?