cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

To sex or not to sex? That is the question.

There is one word in the English language that creates turmoil more than any other...Sex.

It seems to be around us 24 hours a day – from T.V shows like Sex and the City to popular music like Flo Rider’s ‘Whistle.’ Making the decision to have sex is often one of the hardest choices we as young people have to make.

There are many reasons why people decide to have sex. It may be due to age, due to the growth of a relationship or simply because they feel ready to explore that part of themselves. None of these reasons are wrong. Everyone is different and everyone will feel comfortable with their sexuality and sex at different times of their lives.

At the end of the day the decision to have sex should be about YOU. It’s not about fitting into societies expectations, or doing it do impress someone or to make them happy. You do have rights and you do have choices.

Sex is a difficult and very personal subject. I hope you all join us on Monday 20th of August at 8pm AEST on the Getting Real forums to discuss this very important issue. We’ll be talking about personal experiences, issues around sex and health and how sex can affect a relationship.

Hope to see you all there Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: To sex or not to sex? That is the question.

Hey everyone,

Welcome to this week’s Getting Real session! Tonight we’ll be discussing the very important  topic of sex and relationships.

Tonight I’ll be facilitating with fosterthepeople and we’d love for you to join in and share your experiences, ideas and thoughts.

Remember to look at the community guidelines and keep the discussion safe and friendly for all. You can find the guidelines here

http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Forum-Guidelines/m-p/16#U16

If you feel uncomfortable at any time tonight please remember you can contact Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800) or Lifeline (13 11 14).

So the first question for the night is....

Do you think sex is a difficult topic for people to talk openly about? If so why?

Hi everyone,

Like dilz mentioned welcome to tonight's GR session.

I too will be co-facilitating and hopefully you guys and girls can let us know your thoughts on the touchy topic of sex and relationships - pun intended.

FTW

Hi guys!

Do you think sex is a difficult topic for people to talk openly about? If so why?

Yes I do think it is difficult for people to talk about. Sex is a really personal thing and I think that's what makes people uncomfortable talking about it. Also, I think that the fact that no one talks about it makes it a difficult topic to bring up if that makes sense?

I'll give this question a crack.

Do I think sex is a difficult topic for me to talk openly about ?

Yes and no I guess. For me it depends who I'm talking to about it. If it's with my parents then I don't think we've ever mentioned the word in each other's presence. But between friends we pretty much talk openly about it. It might be a generation thing. Maybe because young people encounter it so frequently in pop culture and stuff it might be kinda of normal. iono 

I think it depends on the individual and the group of people they're with.  I know some friends can openly talk about it and with others it's never mentioned.

@delicatedreamer wrote:
Sex is a really personal thing and I think that's what makes people uncomfortable talking about it. Also, I think that the fact that no one talks about it makes it a difficult topic to bring up if that makes sense?

Hi delicateddreamer!

Great point. I think the fact that it is largely a 'taboo' subject does make it very difficult to discuss. 

@ Dilz ... vanilla.documents

Don't think I'd ever bring up the topic with my parents. Too awks !

Funny though how family are like the closest people to me and I don't feel comfortable talking to them about it.