cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Totally addicted to....................

Yeah, that's very true graphiqual. Dependance is a very strong motivator to the continual use of the addictive property. And yes, it can absolutely affect your focus - how can anyone focus when they have something else continually on their mind!?

@_sagira_ wrote:

@graphiqual wrote:
@delicatedreamer - I'm the same in that I have obsessions moreso than addictions, obsessions with fandoms mostly (harry potter, glee, etc)
Not the the point where it takes control of me but I do waste a lot of time and energy fangirling Smiley Happy
I used to be the same.  But I've gotten to a place where I just don't care what's going on in the world of celebrities/tv shows.  And you know what, it's actually really liberating and freeing...because I was additced to it.

I was incredibly, incredibly depressed at one point in my life and what got me through it was Grey's Anatomy.  It's probably because Meredith Grey was so 'dark and twisty', every single episode would make my bawl my eyes out, because it resonated with how I was feeling in some way.  In fact I would often not go out and say I was busy with people, just so I could watch Grey's Anatomy.  My friend even called me up on it once and told me, '...Meredith Grey is not your friend.'  I was so annoyed and hurt by that.  I now know how right she was.  But at the time I just didn't want to hear what she had to say,

Yeah, I've had the same problem, but mine was Battlestar Galactica, and this was a few years ago. Like, we're talking the 2004 remake series here, not the campy late 70s version (and I suppose I've already lost some of you, but hi! I'm new here).

Anyway, it was like I wanted to know everything about the series, and as I continued watching who my fav character was depended on the point in the story, although Starbuck, Admiral Adama and Colonel Tigh were all pretty popular with me.

for me, i think its a problem or "addiction" when it impairs your ability to live your life (your ability to go to work or school or uni etc; your relationships with your family and friend; and your social life).. a clinical definition of addiction says: "It is characterized by behaviours that include one or more of the following:
loss of control over the issue/activity
continued use despite harm
compulsive use and craving.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@_sagira_ wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

Alright everyone, you've all shared some great insight into how addiction has made us feel so:

2. What do you think makes something an addiction vs. something you just like to do?

I think the difference is that an addiction is something that's going to have side effects if you go a day or two without doing it. With something you like to do; it's okay if you go a few days without doing it because it hasn't really had much of an effect on your mentality like that, but once you've become addicted to it, it's like, "My God; I'm going to die if I don't do [insert addiction here] real soon!"

Exactly!  It's a constant URGE that you can never seem to satisfy.

Yeah, and when you don't do it, it affects your mood more and more, and depending on what you're addicted to, it can have physical symptoms too. Stay on the caffeine, kids.

"continued use despite harm" is a good definition for me...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO wrote:

Yeah, I like that one

@graphiqual: Yeah, I'm the same Smiley Happy
@LUTW: Haha, yeah agreed Smiley Happy
Highlighted

It's great hearing all of your thoughts about what makes something an addiction. 
To continue on with this idea, what are some different things you could you get addicted to?

@Pris wrote:

Yeah, I've had the same problem, but mine was Battlestar Galactica, and this was a few years ago. Like, we're talking the 2004 remake series here, not the campy late 70s version (and I suppose I've already lost some of you, but hi! I'm new here).

Anyway, it was like I wanted to know everything about the series, and as I continued watching who my fav character was depended on the point in the story, although Starbuck, Admiral Adama and Colonel Tigh were all pretty popular with me.

Well at least I'm not alone!

@Pris wrote:

@Sophie-RO wrote:

Yeah, I like that one

I think this is a great definition too.