cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Totally addicted to....................

@Birdeye wrote:

what are some different things you could you get addicted to?

That show 'my strange addiction' has shown me that you can get addicted to pretty much anything. 

Isn't that true! Even though some things are certainly more common, we can really get addicted to anything.

@bethechange wrote:

Okay, so we now know lots of kinds of things we can get addicted to, so further to this:

4. If you have an addiction is it something you have done alone or with friends?

to me i think it's something pretty personal that you kinda do alone... coz you often don't want people to know how often you do it or whatever...

what do others reckon?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@bethechange wrote:

Okay, so we now know lots of kinds of things we can get addicted to, so further to this:

4. If you have an addiction is it something you have done alone or with friends?

I think that depends on how you define friends. Like, do you mean friends like people I literally see down the street and have a chat to sometimes, or do you mean people I only know in an online setting? Because either way you can get them involved through Facebook, Tumblr, an email account, whatever; but with the latter the entire premise is that you both use the internet, and sometimes, yes; you're both addicted to it.

If you have an addiction is it something you have done alone or with friends?

Depends on the type of addiction. If it was obsessing over tv shows or other fandoms, that was always done with friends (fangirling works so much better as a group lol). Being addicted to my phone (as in, constantly checking my phone etc) is mostly alone. 

I think most addictions (if not all?) are solitary acts, although they may involve other people and these other people may also be addicted or considered as friends, your addiction is still your addiction.

If you have an addiction is it something you have done alone or with friends?

I don't have an really have addiction myself, but I think it could be either alone or with friends depending on the situation. For example, smoking is often something that is done socially, and Home and Away (I know, I know! Haha) is doing a gambling storyline at the moment where the character's addiction was enabled by doing it with someone else. When I am on the internet or having chocolate I usually do that alone though.

@Sophie-RO wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

to me i think it's something pretty personal that you kinda do alone... coz you often don't want people to know how often you do it or whatever...

what do others reckon?

I think that's a really good point Soph, if it is an addiction it's not as likely we'll share it with others since it is more likely to be personal. I do think however, sometimes people might feed others addictions like in an aggressive loop. All group members who overeat or use a drug often (for e.g.) normalise the behaviour by all taking part.

@Pris wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

I think that depends on how you define friends. Like, do you mean friends like people I literally see down the street and have a chat to sometimes, or do you mean people I only know in an online setting? Because either way you can get them involved through Facebook, Tumblr, an email account, whatever; but with the latter the entire premise is that you both use the internet, and sometimes, yes; you're both addicted to it.

I've made many friends on the internet to fuel my addictions.  So while it may begin as a solitary thing it can most definitely start involving people who are just as addicted.

@Sophie-RO wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

what do others reckon?

I agree. From what I've heard/ people I've know with addictions they tend to feel shame of some sort and isolate themselves more or hide their addiction. I guess they might also have specific people they drink with, do drugs with, drink coffee or junk food with, etc...

I think it depends for example if you start smoking and drinking with friends and some people are prone to becoming more addicted than others and then there are addictions that start off as secrets for them alone like some of the people on My Strange Addictions. (I love that show by the way Smiley Happy )