cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Totally addicted to....................

@Pris Yeah, some people do think the highs are worth it and maybe they’re right, but I personally think they wouldn’t be addressing all of the pros and cons. You’re right, a relapse does show you’re not totally free of the addiction but it shows that you quit whatever it was you were addicted to for a period of time and you can do it again. People can free themselves from addiction. I don’t think freedom means I have to smoke something, eat something or watch something every day that isn’t a physiological need for the survival of my body. Great input Pris Smiley Happy

Re: Totally addicted to....................


@_sagira_ wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@_sagira_ wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

@Pris I would argue that the highs are not worth it, surely a long term fix is better than short term, if we’re purely comparing coping mechanisms. I think that in regard to addictions we sometimes may forget that physiologically our addiction is a WANT and not a NEED. I also truly believe that people can be completely free of their addictions - relapse can certainly happen, but it is far from defeat.


Most definitely.  I think it's about non-attachment and realising the addictions are not you, but an evilly constructed web of delusion that your ego has attached to.  It doesn't make you, you, it's your ego attaching to an identity.


But can you see where I'm coming from when I say the relapse is part of the addiction, though? I mean, there has to be some small part of your ego that's still attached to that act for you to relapse, even if it's just a tiny part that would ordinarily go unnoticed.


Yeah but then it's up to your consiousness to realise that and not fall into the trap.  I feel that those that relapse have maybe forgotten for a moment that it's their ego wanting them to fail, fall and plummet.  It's a nasty business.  I feel like people need to learn to detach from their ego and focus on their consiousness and intuition.  Really sit with the feeling, make room for it and let it pass before acting on those urges.  Easier said then done I know...but really, there needs to be more focus in children on how to learn not to fall into the own trap of their mind which is fuelled by their ego.


Yeah, there does; but it's kinda hard teaching that to kids, because a lot of the time they won't realise how important what's being said to them is until it's already too late. But it could save a few

Re: Totally addicted to....................


@Pris wrote:

@Sophie-RO wrote:
lol@pris... totally!

Like, I'm agreeing with you, I'm just going toquote you in spite of your point because somehow that makes it seem so much more credible. lol


agreed!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Totally addicted to....................

nice point to end on ruenhonx, thanks!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Totally addicted to....................


@Pris wrote:

@graphiqual wrote:
Who would you be likely to turn to for help? Where could you go for help?

I'd probably firstly turn to my closest friends for support and to keep me accountable, then I'd turn to my psychologist for more help.

It depends on what kind of addiction it is. I suppose if it's a serious one, I'd get some professional help. If it's something like what I've got; I'll eventually get a job or a hobby or something which will, in time, break the habit.


Yeah it does depend, I just automatically thought of the serious ones. I guess for something less serious I'd firstly try to separate myself from temptations, and then fill my time with something else that keeps me busy. 

Re: Totally addicted to....................


Pris wrote:

It depends on what kind of addiction it is. I suppose if it's a serious one, I'd get some professional help. If it's something like what I've got; I'll eventually get a job or a hobby or something which will, in time, break the habit.


That's true Pris. Sometimes it would be possible to recover on your own but sometimes professional help will be necessary. 

Re: Totally addicted to....................


@bethechange wrote:

@Pris Yeah, some people do think the highs are worth it and maybe they’re right, but I personally think they wouldn’t be addressing all of the pros and cons. You’re right, a relapse does show you’re not totally free of the addiction but it shows that you quit whatever it was you were addicted to for a period of time and you can do it again. People can free themselves from addiction. I don’t think freedom means I have to smoke something, eat something or watch something every day that isn’t a physiological need for the survival of my body. Great input Pris Smiley Happy


Thanks. I just thought that was a point that kinda needed to be addressed; that's all

Re: Totally addicted to....................


@Lightuptheworld wrote:

@Pris wrote:

It depends on what kind of addiction it is. I suppose if it's a serious one, I'd get some professional help. If it's something like what I've got; I'll eventually get a job or a hobby or something which will, in time, break the habit.


That's true Pris. Sometimes it would be possible to recover on your own but sometimes professional help will be necessary. 


Yeah, especially when it's something serious like drugs or whatever, because I'm pretty sure it's hard to go cold turkey on that sort of stuff. Even a lot of smokers and drinkers need outside help to quit their addiction and whatever. But if it's something small like fandoms or the internet; then I think it's a lot easier to go cold turkey

Re: Totally addicted to....................

There's been lots of things brought up tonight, but what's one thing you'll take away from tonight's session?

Re: Totally addicted to....................

I think what I'm taking away from tonight is that addictions come in more forms than I generally think, and affect more people than I thought (including myself!)