cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Totally addicted to....................

@Lightuptheworld wrote:

So we've cover lots of things tonight and already touched on this a little bit but...
How can addiction impact on mental health?

As we've said in regard to control and dependance issues, this could lead to more chronic conditions like depression, anxiety or high levels of stress that will then affect all other areas of our life. A lot of the time when we are addicted to something we don't realise it, because we may justify or rationlise our behaviour which can be a dangerious mindset to stay in long-term. I suppose that's why people say, "the first step is admitting you have a problem".

I think addiction and mental health both impact each other. They each make the other worse, you're more likely to develop an addiction if your mental health isn't in the right state; you're more likely to worsen mental health (feeling low/depressed, isolated, anxious, obsessive, angry etc.) if you're addicted.

Gosh everyone is talking about 'My Strange Addiction' tonight! I've never heard of it. Might have to check it out!

I think it would isolate you from friends and family and make you feel alone which could lead to depression. People might also experience depression and anxiety because they can see they are addicted and the harm it is causing but they don't know how to stop.

@Pris wrote:

@graphiqual wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@Birdeye wrote:

4. If you have an addiction is it something you have done alone or with friends?

I think most addictions (if not all?) are solitary acts, although they may involve other people and these other people may also be addicted or considered as friends, your addiction is still your addiction.

What if you're addicted to the company of another person? Like, emotionally addicted we're talking here. Would that still be considered a solitary addiction if they were addicted to you too?

Totally hypothetical, of course

I love that you brought this up because I would never have thought of addictions in this sense, but this is actually something I think I seriously struggle with, getting emotionally addicted and dependant to certain people. And I'd actually say an addiction is like this is so, so much a solitary addiction. Because I would never admit to the person how much I'm dependant on them, and it also becomes a vicious cycle of feeling so alone when you're without them, feeling like the time you have with them is never enough, and therefore feeling almost constantly alone. 

Yeah, that's all true, provided you're the one addicted to them and it's not a mutual thing. It can be dangerous when that happens because it can really affect your mindset over a long period of time if it's like this.

But the second half of the hypothetical is important too, I think. What if they're also addicted to you? Does this make things better? Does it make things worse? And do you think that you'll spiral into a well of isolation, with this one person your only real contact with the outside world?

I think it can become even more dangerous in this circumstance, because what happens after you drift apart, as you eventually will? Like, it's going to take a long, long time to pick yourself back up after this.

I think if it's a mutual thing it can be even more dangerous. But it also depends on the intensity. Because I think for one person to be completely dependant on someone else can be extremely unhealthy, both for themself (because of the isolation) and the other person (because of the pressure it puts on them), so when it's both ways, it sort of just magnifies that. 

And as you say, there's the point where you eventually separate. Which I've experienced, which near broke me. So yes, very unhealthy. 

@_sagira_ wrote:

Well for me personally it has:

- fuelled my depression

- encouraged my world of illusion

- only enhanced my urges further

- made me solitary

- wanted to be alone

- became even more increasingly short tempered and angrier

- made myself dislike myself even more

I think it's a really strengthening process to be able to see how your addiction is affecting your life because it can be a massive motivator to change.

When you're engaging in your addiction it might give you some highs as well - but they're only temporary. The fall/withdraw afterwards I think is what's gonna really hurt your mental health. afterwards.

It can make you depressed, it can ruin your social life, it can make you angry, negative, withdrawn and isolated. 

@graphiqual wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@graphiqual wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@Birdeye wrote:

4. If you have an addiction is it something you have done alone or with friends?

I think most addictions (if not all?) are solitary acts, although they may involve other people and these other people may also be addicted or considered as friends, your addiction is still your addiction.

What if you're addicted to the company of another person? Like, emotionally addicted we're talking here. Would that still be considered a solitary addiction if they were addicted to you too?

I love that you brought this up because I would never have thought of addictions in this sense, but this is actually something I think I seriously struggle with, getting emotionally addicted and dependant to certain people. And I'd actually say an addiction is like this is so, so much a solitary addiction. Because I would never admit to the person how much I'm dependant on them, and it also becomes a vicious cycle of feeling so alone when you're without them, feeling like the time you have with them is never enough, and therefore feeling almost constantly alone. 

Yeah, that's all true, provided you're the one addicted to them and it's not a mutual thing. It can be dangerous when that happens because it can really affect your mindset over a long period of time if it's like this.

But the second half of the hypothetical is important too, I think. What if they're also addicted to you? Does this make things better? Does it make things worse? And do you think that you'll spiral into a well of isolation, with this one person your only real contact with the outside world?

I think it can become even more dangerous in this circumstance, because what happens after you drift apart, as you eventually will? Like, it's going to take a long, long time to pick yourself back up after this.

I think if it's a mutual thing it can be even more dangerous. But it also depends on the intensity. Because I think for one person to be completely dependant on someone else can be extremely unhealthy, both for themself (because of the isolation) and the other person (because of the pressure it puts on them), so when it's both ways, it sort of just magnifies that. 

And as you say, there's the point where you eventually separate. Which I've experienced, which near broke me. So yes, very unhealthy. 

There we go. And yeah, there's definitely that pressure there when it's a mutual thing. Like, how would you even begin to reconcile yourself after that? I don't know, I've never been through it, and if I bothered to Google it, there might be some sort of risk for PTSD after it.

@Birdeye wrote:

I think addiction and mental health both impact each other. They each make the other worse, you're more likely to develop an addiction if your mental health isn't in the right state; you're more likely to worsen mental health (feeling low/depressed, isolated, anxious, obsessive, angry etc.) if you're addicted.

Good point Birdeye. I think it's important to recognise how they influence each other. 

@Pris wrote:

@graphiqual wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@graphiqual wrote:

@Pris wrote:

@Birdeye wrote:

There we go. And yeah, there's definitely that pressure there when it's a mutual thing. Like, how would you even begin to reconcile yourself after that? I don't know, I've never been through it, and if I bothered to Google it, there might be some sort of risk for PTSD after it.

It wasn't a mutual thing, but a one way thing for me.  I had so much stress and anxiety when my friend just completely cut me off for no explanation.  She was like my soul mate and I was obsessed with her.  For years and years I have been battling the hurt that came from it.  I'm reluctant to really let new people in.  Anyway...I eventually got to a point where I completely forgave her.  It was so liberating and we're still friends now.  None of it was ever explained...but it doesn't matter because she's still in my life, but in a different capacity.