cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Totally addicted to....................

Who would you be likely to turn to for help? Where could you go for help?

I'd probably firstly turn to my closest friends for support and to keep me accountable, then I'd turn to my psychologist for more help.

@_sagira_ wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

@Pris I would argue that the highs are not worth it, surely a long term fix is better than short term, if we’re purely comparing coping mechanisms. I think that in regard to addictions we sometimes may forget that physiologically our addiction is a WANT and not a NEED. I also truly believe that people can be completely free of their addictions - relapse can certainly happen, but it is far from defeat.

Most definitely.  I think it's about non-attachment and realising the addictions are not you, but an evilly constructed web of delusion that your ego has attached to.  It doesn't make you, you, it's your ego attaching to an identity.

But can you see where I'm coming from when I say the relapse is part of the addiction, though? I mean, there has to be some small part of your ego that's still attached to that act for you to relapse, even if it's just a tiny part that would ordinarily go unnoticed.

lol@pris... totally!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

bethechange wrote:

6. Who would you be likely to turn to for help? Where could you go for help?

Friends, a psychologist, doctor, family, teader/lecturer 

@graphiqual wrote:
Who would you be likely to turn to for help? Where could you go for help?

I'd probably firstly turn to my closest friends for support and to keep me accountable, then I'd turn to my psychologist for more help.

It depends on what kind of addiction it is. I suppose if it's a serious one, I'd get some professional help. If it's something like what I've got; I'll eventually get a job or a hobby or something which will, in time, break the habit.

@Sophie-RO wrote:
lol@pris... totally!

Like, I'm agreeing with you, I'm just going toquote you in spite of your point because somehow that makes it seem so much more credible. lol

I'm just going to do one more question and its goodnight for me. Im super hungry Smiley Very Happy 

I would turn to friends and family. I read somewere that when you share a secret or a problem you are free from it but if you hold it in you are prisoner to your addiction and so talking is so important. 

Goodnight everyone Smiley Very Happy 

@Pris wrote:

@_sagira_ wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

@Pris I would argue that the highs are not worth it, surely a long term fix is better than short term, if we’re purely comparing coping mechanisms. I think that in regard to addictions we sometimes may forget that physiologically our addiction is a WANT and not a NEED. I also truly believe that people can be completely free of their addictions - relapse can certainly happen, but it is far from defeat.

Most definitely.  I think it's about non-attachment and realising the addictions are not you, but an evilly constructed web of delusion that your ego has attached to.  It doesn't make you, you, it's your ego attaching to an identity.

But can you see where I'm coming from when I say the relapse is part of the addiction, though? I mean, there has to be some small part of your ego that's still attached to that act for you to relapse, even if it's just a tiny part that would ordinarily go unnoticed.

Yeah but then it's up to your consiousness to realise that and not fall into the trap.  I feel that those that relapse have maybe forgotten for a moment that it's their ego wanting them to fail, fall and plummet.  It's a nasty business.  I feel like people need to learn to detach from their ego and focus on their consiousness and intuition.  Really sit with the feeling, make room for it and let it pass before acting on those urges.  Easier said then done I know...but really, there needs to be more focus in children on how to learn not to fall into the own trap of their mind which is fuelled by their ego.

@ruenhonx wrote:

I'm just going to do one more question and its goodnight for me. Im super hungry Smiley Very Happy 

I would turn to friends and family. I read somewere that when you share a secret or a problem you are free from it but if you hold it in you are prisoner to your addiction and so talking is so important. 

Goodnight everyone Smiley Very Happy 

Goodnight; have fun

Honestly, I wouldn't turn to my friends, I'd probably see the student support at school or something