cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Totally addicted to....................

Have you ever felt like you (or someone you know) were addicted to something and how did

it make you feel?

When I was younger and in a bad place I think I became a bit addicted to the internet, and one site in particular (which I shall not name). Whenever I noticed it, I'd feel ashamed, embarrassed, unhappy and angry. The anger and unhappiness were underlying reasons leading to the addiction as well though.

I've known people addicted to other things from drugs to phones to gambling. I remember being worried/scared, unsure and annoyed with the drugs, uncomfortable with the phone and annoyed/dismissive with the gambling. Part of these feelings had to do with the exact people involved though.

Welcome Graphiqual. Smiley Happy 

I think these days may of us are. Smiley Tongue I know I carry mine everywhere! 

@delicatedreamer - I'm the same in that I have obsessions moreso than addictions, obsessions with fandoms mostly (harry potter, glee, etc)
Not the the point where it takes control of me but I do waste a lot of time and energy fangirling Smiley Happy

Lightuptheworld wrote:

Welcome Sagira. Smiley Happy 

What makes you dislike the internet? 

I find that I may go into my bedroom to start settling down and reaise my laptops on.  I will go to turn it off...and two hours later i'm still on it. 

It's not so much the internet, but more 'social media'.  Especially FB.  I HATE IT!  I have actually deactivated my account in the past and wanted to do it about a month ago, but couldn't because I control my uni class through that.  It really annoys me when I send a message to someone (whom I'm catching up with that night, or the next day) and they don't respond to my message but post me one of FB.  It's like others are forcing me to check it constantly.

Yeah lightuptheworld, it's really tough to see, because as a friend you can really feel like your words are a bit meaningless. But persistance is (and was) key! Smiley Happy

delicatedreamer wrote:

Hi all,

Have you ever felt like you (or someone you know) were addicted to something and how did it make you feel?

I tend to have obsessions more than addictions. I can fixate on things at times which is really annoying when I want to shift my focus but can't. I agree with others, I do have a bit of an internet addiction of sorts though. And chocolate! I struggle to leave it alone if there's any in the house.

Hey DD! 

When I read your comment about chocolate I instantly resonated! Smiley Tongue I think lots of others, especially females would agree! 

Pris wrote:

More to add: also, quite often I have multiple tabs open simultaneously. Like, right now, I've got this, Facebook, Tumblr, imdb and my email account open. And this is perfectly normal.

I so totally know what you mean Pris! I have lots of tabs open atm. Multitasking for the win! 

Alright everyone, you've all shared some great insight into how addiction has made us feel so:

2. What do you think makes something an addiction vs. something you just like to do?

bethechange wrote:

Yeah lightuptheworld, it's really tough to see, because as a friend you can really feel like your words are a bit meaningless. But persistance is (and was) key! Smiley Happy

It sounds like you're a rather supportive friend! Smiley Happy I hope things improve for him! 

Lightuptheworld wrote:

Pris wrote:

More to add: also, quite often I have multiple tabs open simultaneously. Like, right now, I've got this, Facebook, Tumblr, imdb and my email account open. And this is perfectly normal.

I so totally know what you mean Pris! I have lots of tabs open atm. Multitasking for the win! 

You know, I've read that multitasking is one of those things that practice actually makes you worse at because it makes your attention span a lot shorter. But oh well, side effects I guess